Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Analysis of our "aging" list for 2008

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It is the concentration of stalwarts in the 26-29 age range that is going to cause us the problems in the not too distant future.
    I agree with the first comment you made which I deleted from the quote but I'm wondering what problems are you suggesting Liz? I would have though that player management should prevent this from happening otherwise it's the Club's fault for not cutting deadwood.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I agree with the first comment you made which I deleted from the quote but I'm wondering what problems are you suggesting Liz? I would have though that player management should prevent this from happening otherwise it's the Club's fault for not cutting deadwood.
    It is just another way of saying that we don't have many obvious replacements from the age group below. So if we are still relying on so many of these players in a couple of years time, we'll suddenly have 10+ 30 yos (or near 30yos).

Of that next group down, there is only one player whose name you look at and feel absolute confidence that he will be a long term quality contributor. McVeigh seems to be established in the team but has shown little signs of being even a sometimes matchwinner. Schmidt has his foot in the door but who knows if he'll step up over the next year or two to be a top 10 B&Fer. Hopefully he will but I wouldn't wager anything much on it. In all likelihood at least a couple of others will become good quality players but I'm not sure I'd like to nominate which they are.

I'm really saying what many have already commented on - that they need to start getting match time into that 20-24 age group to find out if any of them are any good.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'm really saying what many have already commented on - that they need to start getting match time into that 20-24 age group to find out if any of them are any good.
    Hence why both Scheinder and Dempster are gone, both Buchanen and J Bolton got a kick up the arse and why Matthews, Bevan and to a lesser extent Crouch are not guaranteed game time early next year.

Fitness and attitude permitting, I can see us giving Schmidt, Moore, Barlow, Laidlaw, D O'Keefe, Thornton and even Jesse White all a serious run and crack at first team football within the first 5 rounds next year.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Hence why both Scheinder and Dempster are gone, both Buchanen and J Bolton got a kick up the arse and why Matthews, Bevan and to a lesser extent Crouch are not guaranteed game time early next year.
    Yeahhh getting rid of two 23 year olds, will really help with the lack of quality in the 20 to 24 year old age group.

I hope Jude's pay increase softens the "kick up the arse"

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    A key problem is that some of our best players fall into the older age category being Everitt, Kirk, Hall and Berry

Try this split to get a different perspective..

28 years plus (performance likely to decline)
    23 - 27 (peaking)

Anyway, I think we are in deep @@@@.
    Quality post. Great assessment.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post

I have included Brennan and Barlow as well as the new guys.
    But excluded one Paul Bevan from the list altogether??? Just turned 23 and having played 65 games is our second most experienced "young player". O how infamy fades

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    But excluded one Paul Bevan from the list altogether??? Just turned 23 and having played 65 games is our second most experienced "young player". O how infamy fades
    You're starting to sound a bit obsessed.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Confirms that all of the hype about Sydney hitting the skids in 2009 when Roos is scheduled to walk away, is largely nonsense (even with the quality that Kirk, MOL, BBBH and Leo represent).

2011/12 is when we're really headed for meltdown, unless Sydney makes a large number of tough decisions at the end of each of the next 3 seasons.

I'm only basing my assessment on gut feel rather than a statistical comparison with other teams, but I can't imagine that too many other teams have such a high proportion of their first 22 in the 25-28yoa range. In that context, losing two 23yos and adding a 24yo and a 25yo to our list in trading, wasn't too bright.

Veterans List
    Those 20 -24 year olds need some serious game time.

If the team is not picked on form but seniority in 2008 we are in serious trouble.

Brabazon is not mentioned anywhere. I feel he is a good chance to play in 2008
    cheers

Buddy
    Realistically we are 2 or 3 injuries off the wooden spoon. If Goodes, Malcesky and Kirk were all injured we couldnt beat anyone.

Dont say it couldnt happen as West Coast were without there best 3 or 4 players at times last year.

Theonly other team who are as reliant on so few are Brisbane who couldnt function without Brown and Black.
    Last edited by humphrey bear; 27th October 2007 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by humphrey bear View Post
    Theonly other team who are as reliant on so few are Brisbane who couldnt function without Brown and Black.
    Is that because they are colour blind?
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast