Thread: Citibank still major sponsor?

Citibank still major sponsor?

Just looking @ the swans site.

Is citibank still a major sponsor with QBE or have they downgraded their sponsorship with the swans?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They signed for 3 years in 2005.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Living in 2005
    Yeah, QBE are still the principal sponsor and unless they go bankrupt don't seem to have an intention on changing that anytime soon.

Citibank are 'just' a major sponsor who pay an additional fee to have their logo on our guernsey ($900,000 a year, while QBE pay $2 Mill a year according to the Herald Sun). They have a year to run from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    while QBE pay $2 Mill a year according to the Herald Sun
    how will they bore my next year with their pre-first bounce/half time ads.

'some bloke called roos etc'

/groans

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    how will they bore my next year with their pre-first bounce/half time ads.

'some bloke called roos etc'

/groans
    I actually think it's a great campaign... Yeah it's a bit of a wank but I also remember the days when QBE were laughed at for sponsoring the biggest "Donkey" in Australian sport.. i.e. The Swans..... The whole them of "sticking by someone when they're in trouble" certainly rings true here. They could of ditched the Swans on many occassions. Whether or not they live up to that practice in their own business is not something I could comment on but it's certainly a great theme for an insurance company.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Yeah, QBE are still the principal sponsor and unless they go bankrupt don't seem to have an intention on changing that anytime soon.

Citibank are 'just' a major sponsor who pay an additional fee to have their logo on our guernsey ($900,000 a year, while QBE pay $2 Mill a year according to the Herald Sun). They have a year to run from memory.

I was told (by someone then working at Citibank) that a couple of years ago they made a big push to replace QBE as principal sponsor, and the person who told me this was led to believe they had been successful. Clearly that was premature, and I am certainly glad that the Swans stuck with QBE in the same way that QBE stuck with the Swans when they might have walked away.

It was shortly after this time that the shirt sponsorship deal with Citibank was announced.

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    I actually think it's a great campaign... Yeah it's a bit of a wank but I also remember the days when QBE were laughed at for sponsoring the biggest "Donkey" in Australian sport.. i.e. The Swans..... The whole them of "sticking by someone when they're in trouble" certainly rings true here. They could of ditched the Swans on many occassions. Whether or not they live up to that practice in their own business is not something I could comment on but it's certainly a great theme for an insurance company.
    Yep I agree. To be a sponsor of a club for 20 years under any circumstance is pretty amazing but when you consider just how horrific we were during the early 90's, I think it's an extra significant partnership.

Under the current circumstances, it is highly unlikely Citibank will continue their sponsorship once the initial deal runs out.

Due to write downs by the parent company they are in serious trouble of breaching their liquidity requirements and it's going to be a slash a thon for the next couple of years.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"