Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sydney AFL Stadium Thread

Almost Football Legend

Sydney AFL Stadium Thread

While we're waiting for the new season to get underway and clubs to get their playing lists together; here's a thread to (hopefully) get some discussion going.

What are some of the grounds you love to play on or watch games at? What are your favourites? Which have the best surface and facilities; and which ones do you wish the local councils would do some more work on?
    We've had Henson Park for a few years now - do you enjoy going there? If you're a player, do you like playing there? I think it's a great stadium for spectators when the weather's decent, and it had a sensational atmosphere at this year's grand final. But the surface is a worry; and the 2006 grand final, classic game that it was, will always be remembered as being on a quagmire.
    The Showgrounds came on board in 2007, and I thought it has good potential. Great spectator facilities and a good quality surface, although it's definately on the small side. Hopefully we'll be back there playing some games, especially on Saturday afternoons before Telstra Stadium Swans games.
    And what of the future? Withers Road is under construction and should be ready for East Coast's home games next year. What's going to happen at Blacktown? St George had a proposal to redevelop Hurstville Oval, anything likely to happen there?

Have you ever seen a ground and wished AFL could have the use of it? Which grounds do you think would look great with AFL goalposts, if only local councils had the vision that we do?

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    While we're waiting for the new season to get underway and clubs to get their playing lists together; here's a thread to (hopefully) get some discussion going.

What are some of the grounds you love to play on or watch games at? What are your favourites? Which have the best surface and facilities; and which ones do you wish the local councils would do some more work on?
    We've had Henson Park for a few years now - do you enjoy going there? If you're a player, do you like playing there? I think it's a great stadium for spectators when the weather's decent, and it had a sensational atmosphere at this year's grand final. But the surface is a worry; and the 2006 grand final, classic game that it was, will always be remembered as being on a quagmire.
    The Showgrounds came on board in 2007, and I thought it has good potential. Great spectator facilities and a good quality surface, although it's definately on the small side. Hopefully we'll be back there playing some games, especially on Saturday afternoons before Telstra Stadium Swans games.
    And what of the future? Withers Road is under construction and should be ready for East Coast's home games next year. What's going to happen at Blacktown? St George had a proposal to redevelop Hurstville Oval, anything likely to happen there?

Have you ever seen a ground and wished AFL could have the use of it? Which grounds do you think would look great with AFL goalposts, if only local councils had the vision that we do?
    Norris, Not one person who has been around Sydney Football any length of time would think Blacktown is a good idea.The site has been vacant since 2000.If it was so good do you think other sports would have let it go? It is in the heart of the biggest Rugby League catchment area in the world! And who's going to play there? Give it up as a bad joke and save the money.This sort of idea could only have come out of Melbourne.That is someone who has no idea about Sydney Football. Why not Lidcombe Oval, Jubilee Oval St George or Erskineville? Too obvious I think.Then again how many of the people at the SFS actually know anything about Sydney Football? Or for that matter care? All that they want is to be seen wearing red and white gear and clearing a career path into the Swans. They'd rather tout how many kids turned up at the first Auskick bbq.Just remember these are the same people who narrowly got in at Telstra.One has gone to South Africa, a few more may be having their Xmas holidays SPOILED next week.
    Spoiler

Almost Football Legend
    Lidcombe Oval - good bit of lateral thinking there Spoiler. I went past it on the train this morning - if you took the bike track out, it would definately have potential as a footy venue.

The plans for Blacktown look impressive, but Spoiler could be right - it could be a white elephant.
    I don't see the point of a 10,000 seat stadium. It's not big enough if a 2nd AFL team was ever brought in to Sydney, but it's too big for any other use. If we've got use of that area, I think the money would be better spent on building a couple of smaller-capacity ovals with top-quality surfaces. The 2nd AFL team if it ever eventuates could still train on it, and it could be a backup for our league on wet weekends when our regular grounds are closed.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Senior Player
    Lidcome is a bit small unfortunately. Good location though with the promity of public transport etc.

Good thread Mick. We had a few Swans out for an Auskick day on tuesday at Richmond Park,the little picket fenced ground in centre of Richmond,and it was fantastic to finally have a kick on there after 10 yrs of hoping,but way too small.i was kicking out from grandstand end and easily hitting halfway,so its only 2 decent kicks long.of all grounds in Div 1 n 2 i'd say-and yes i'm being biased a bit-but Bensons Lane probably has best surface besides the pitch,Rosedale as well, both good sized n looked after.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Good thread Mick. We had a few Swans out for an Auskick day on tuesday at Richmond Park,the little picket fenced ground in centre of Richmond,and it was fantastic to finally have a kick on there after 10 yrs of hoping,but way too small.i was kicking out from grandstand end and easily hitting halfway,so its only 2 decent kicks long.of all grounds in Div 1 n 2 i'd say-and yes i'm being biased a bit-but Bensons Lane probably has best surface besides the pitch,Rosedale as well, both good sized n looked after.

NSW cricket is pushing for 20/20 matches at Rosedale there new preferred no 1 as Bankstown is too small. New lighting facilities see us playing our first two home games this season under lights.

Further to that,i hvnt played on there but i think Henson is a hole of a ground,way overused.holds too much water after rain.no decent drainage. Uni no 1 is great to play on, Village Green also but a bit hard underfoot. Hvnt played on Olds since Baulko days,but always found surface to be soft,that was 10 yrs ago.Gipps has potential but is a dustbowl at present,league should put money into that. Penrith Cronulla Manly need new grounds but local cricket wont share their grounds with them,which is wrong.

This is a good opportunity to provide an update on Withers Road, now officially called Bruce Purser Reserve after a former Councillor.

Whilst the parcel of land goes by that name, East Coast would expect that commercial naming rights would be given to the oval in due course, in much the same way that Monarch Homes provide their name to Campbelltown's home ground.

The attached photos give a couple of views, although the very limited size allowance given to uploading photos on this website does not do it justice.

The first photo was taken on Sept 26th looking northwest before the amentities blocks were constructed. The playing surface lies beyond the orange mobile crane.

The second photo from November 23rd is taken from the goal umpires possie at the southern end looking across the eastern half forward flank and wing towards the facilities. Photos are deceiving because the ground has the similar dimensions to the Gabba.

The civil works involving the extensive drainage to harvest and collect rain water from the site is complete and we are now awaiting the final capping of the playing surface which will see the underground sprinkler system installed to redistribute that recycled water.

Six high grade turf pitches are being installed for our summer colleagues.

In the week before Xmas, the footings for the 500 lux light poles will be sunk, along with the goalposts etc which will be the same height and quality as those at the Telstra Dome and the MCG. In fact all AFL grounds have the same size now.

The recent and current wet weather has done no favours for the construction crews as they are hamstrung with getting the trucks in with fill for the surrounds. However opening day is included in the Sydney AFL draft draw for Round 2 on Sunday April 13th 2008, the day after the Swans play West Coast at Telstra Stadium. At this stage, St George are pencilled in as the Eagles' opponents for that first match.

The area surrounding the ground is growing like topsy with the magnificent new Rouse Hill Regional Centre adjoining the project which will allow people to walk from this huge complex to watch the footy on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon or evening.

The playing surface needs 6 weeks to bed in so as long as the grass can be laid by mid February, everything should be on track for an April start.

Pete Physick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oscar; 8th December 2007 at 12:19 AM.
    www.eastcoasteagles.com.au

Senior Player
    Hopefully 6 weeks will be enough oscar. You saw the mess that they made of Rosedale earlier this year. Thankfully now it looks a million dollars again.

How many light towers are they installing? and whilst the Gabba is a reasonable comparison for those familiar with its dimensions what other grounds in Sydney would you be able to compare it to?

Both grounds at Bensons share same dimensions,165 by 132 which is decent size.Kelso is massive,180 by 155.i've always wanted local ground dimensions to be on league website,just coz i'm a Footy nerd. Any idea of Purser's size Oscar?looks like a good facility from the photos, going up for a sticky beak over weekend. And hope to play a curtain-raiser on there in 08.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Hopefully 6 weeks will be enough oscar. You saw the mess that they made of Rosedale earlier this year. Thankfully now it looks a million dollars again.

How many light towers are they installing? and whilst the Gabba is a reasonable comparison for those familiar with its dimensions what other grounds in Sydney would you be able to compare it to?
    The actual dimensions of Withers Road are (boundary to boundary) 155 metres by 135m.

For your interest a sample of AFL grounds are (boundary to boundary)

MCG 160 by 141
    Gabba 156 x 138
    SCG 149 x 136
    Telstra Dome 160 x 128.

And Skilled Stadium in Geelong is apparently only 115 metres wide.

Unless others can comment on the size of other Sydney grounds, I'm stuck for that info.

Four light towers with banks of Musco lighting are going in. When they are on, the elevated nature of the ground will mean they'll stand out like a beacon to the local community. As will the goal posts, which are a signature for our game I reckon.

The way turf is laid now in massive wide rolls will mean a considerable saving in time for establishment and growth. The contractors tell me that they have laid turf like that before and it's played on 48 hours later. We have seen examples of that at Telstra Stadium recently.

I'm confident that this complex is only the second ever purpose built AFL ground in Sydney.

For those who know where the Mean Fiddler is, the ground will be accessed by turning right off Windsor Road at the Fiddler. It's just 500 metres up Commercial Road.
    Last edited by Oscar; 7th December 2007 at 01:19 PM.
    www.eastcoasteagles.com.au

Without wanting to get into a "my ground is better than your ground" debate, Nth Dalton Park is in awesome nick at the moment. NSW take on SA in a Ford Ranger Cup there this Sunday. It's only $15 to get in if anybody in the footy community wants to make the trip.

Game is on Fox Sports all day if you're lucky enough to have that on. I didn't think it was possible for kikuyu grass to look so good but it's currently a billiard table. They've been cutting it twice a day for a couple of weeks and I've never seen so many council groundsmen in my life. Pity they're never around come footy season.

Unfortunately we had a 1 in 25 year rain event yesterday (80mm in 1 hr) and the ground was saturated. With more rain about it's probably going to be a greentop. Win the toss and bat second looks like the order of the day. Apparently they had the super sopper going all last night under the same Musco lighting Oscar described earlier.

http://illawarra.yourguide.com.au/ne...h/1100168.html

If you can't make it down on Sunday turn on Fox Sports and check it out. Hopefully they give the venue a good plug during the day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast