Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Australia renamed in $31m deal - The Australian

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Stadium Australia renamed in $31m deal - The Australian

ANZ Bank has secured the naming rights for Stadium Australia, paying $31 million for it to be known as ANZ Stadium.

Almost Football Legend
    Isn't there already an ANZ Stadium in Brisbane?
    Naming grounds after sponsors is too confusing sometimes.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Stadium officials said there was no association with Brisbane's QEII Commonwealth Games stadium, which was also known as ANZ Stadium for a period but has since reverted back to its original name.
    So, No.

Helps distinguish between Telstra Stadium and Telstradome, so an improvement if you ask me.

Makes no difference to me. I'm hardly about to run out and open an ANZ a/c because the Swans are playing there, same as I don't bother insuring with QBE unless they are the lowest rate. If QBE cannot offer me a 'mates' rate because I'm a longtime supporter and member of the Swans, they can go and go jump.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    Naming it Telstra Stadium never made me any more sympathetic to Telstra , any more than ANZ will give me warm fuzzy thoughts about them.
    But i do look out for Swans sponsors..and always call QBE for a quote. I reckon they do a good job quoting, and their Swans sponsorship was through thick and thin!!
    AND I dont even work for them...!!

There are two names I know it as the white elephant of the west and Olympic
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Helps distinguish between Telstra Stadium and Telstradome, so an improvement if you ask me.

Makes no difference to me. I'm hardly about to run out and open an ANZ a/c because the Swans are playing there, same as I don't bother insuring with QBE unless they are the lowest rate. If QBE cannot offer me a 'mates' rate because I'm a longtime supporter and member of the Swans, they can go and go jump.
    Right on. I asked QBE if I got a discount for being a swans member. Short answer. No.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Easy solution, call it Stadium Australia or Stadium de Oz as I have heard from others
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

forward coach
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

ANZ Bank has secured the naming rights for Stadium Australia, paying $31 million for it to be known as ANZ Stadium.
    maybe they might get some decent beer now instead of that tooheys crap.

Quote Originally Posted by bedford View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

maybe they might get some decent beer now instead of that tooheys crap.
    Yes the ANZ are well known for the quality of their beer.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

"I don't know why some people hate it so much."
    Lets see.
    1. No after match function
    2. Tooheys beer
    3. If I decide to go for a beer after the game - that hotel/bar has to be the worst place in Australia
    4. Post game I have a time limit to how long I can have a beer before I must catch the train as they end early
    5. All friends generally go home after the game as we all live in different parts of Sydney, so not a lot of time to reflect on the game, unlike the SCG where we all gravitate to Central Station via Surry Hills (pubs and restaurants) and then we all go our separate ways.
    6. No atmosphere - the roar at the SCG always seems louder than the stadium, probably as the SCG is built 'up' over the playing surface and the stadium is built so the crowd are 'sloped' towards the field.
    7. They stop selling beer at the beginning of the 4th quarter
    8. The crowd always want to start a mexican wave - what is this cricket? or maybe that boring game of soccer?
    Last edited by blinddog; 16th December 2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: new reason
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Quote Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
    1. No after match function
    What's an after match function? Why do we need them?
    2. Tooheys beer
    You're whinging to the wrong person here.
    3. If I decide to go for a beer after the game - that hotel/bar has to be the worst place in Australia
    See above reason 2.
    4. Post game I have a time limit to how long I can have a beer before I must catch the train as they end early
    See above reason 2.
    5. All friends generally go home after the game as we all live in different parts of Sydney, so not a lot of time to reflect on the game, unlike the SCG where we all gravitate to Central Station via Surry Hills (pubs and restaurants) and then we all go our separate ways.
    You mean it is like all other venues around the country where people either travel together to the city or other areas where they can spend time together (or like most people just go home).
    6. No atmosphere - the roar at the SCG always seems louder than the stadium, probably as the SCG is built 'up' over the playing surface and the stadium is built so the crowd are 'sloped' towards the field.
    My experience has been to the contrary. I have been to games with no atmosphere at the SCG and with plenty of atmposhere at the Olympic Stadium
    7. They stop selling beer at the beginning of the 4th quarter
    See above reason 2.
    8. The crowd always want to start a mexican wave - what is this cricket? or maybe that boring game of soccer?
    Not in my experience.

Let's face it, many people don't like change, even if it is for the better. Telstra Stadium (or whatever they call it) is far superior to the SCG. I really love having to cue up for 20 minutes during the breaks just to go to the toilet.

I love having to cue up for another 10-15 minutes to get food after that.

I love it that you have to cue up for up to 30 minutes to get out of the ground.

I can see why you would prefer that over the wonderful facilities of a "new" stadium.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast