Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it bad that the AFL is run by a FAT controller

Suspended by the MRP
    Size-ist?

God, there's activist for everything this days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Legs - I think you are being size-ist.
    Is there a link between Demetriou's execution of his duties as CEO of the AFL and his weight?
    I think many would observe that he poorly executes no matter what his size.

Has he made any poorer decisions, announcements, actions in this past 12 months as opposed to when he was lighter?
    In 2005 he was a fair bit lighter and he said our footy wouldn't win us too many games. He was wrong. His lack of weight might also explain why he didn't take action against West Coast in 2003/2004/2005/2006 - clearly he needed some more weight to throw around.

If you were wanting to discuss purely the asthetic of Demetrious then I'd think he's not exactly the perfect poster boy of the AFL. As there are loads of good sorts to look at and be on the glossy posters I thank god we don't need Demetriou as a marketing tool.

Just my thoughts.

How do you know he's not a rock hard man mountain under those suits? (That image has made me feel a bit sick)

Loved the post BTW
    Ah, thank you. Someone understands my art! It's the strength of the argument that counts not whether I 'have a life'

I agree, in part, that this a conversation about image not substance.

Anyone who knows anything about branding understands that values and images can and do transfer between elements of the brand mix. You would not produce an ad for a bank with a guy hooning in a ferrari (CBA aside, perhaps). People in pharma ads always wear white coats. There are hundreds of these types of archetypes and advertiers use them in their ads because they know that discordant images leads to cognitive dissonance and avoidance behaviour.

The CEO is the public face of the organisation. AD has allowed himself to become obese. I believe this reinforces an impression, evident in his actual decision making, that the AFL is corpulent and unhealthy, over indulgant and lazy. I think his physical appearance is incongruous with the AFL's desired brand image of healthy fast exciting sporting action. Short of an endocrine problem, the problem can be solved (I won't spell it as cannot be bothered writing a rejoinder to defend what is a simple dietary equation). Dimetrios has made a life choice.

Now the substance. The positive relationship between physical wellbeing and ability to handle stress and perform mentally is well established. There is in fact a lot of data showing obesity impairs cognitive function. Guys like Chip Goodyear (ex BHP) and I daresay, most of the pople down in MB St Martin's place know that you think better and can handle stress better when your body is in good condition. Most progressive corporates have a staff gym and/or some sort of staff wellness program these days.

EDIT: I am not suggesting people who are obese are all lazt etc. I am suggesting that people have an inbuilt association between obese people and certain pre-conceptions. I also make a disctinction between being overweight, a result of western diets and lack of exercise, and obesity. As for Demetrioui, my judgement is that he is obese rather than overweight.
    Last edited by Legs Akimbo; 10th March 2008 at 05:59 PM.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    So get a life may have been the wrong words to use. Fair enough, I toned down what I really wanted to say because someone would probably give me a bloody yellow card.

I just happen to think it is a load of bull@@@@ that some people pass judgement on whether others are good at what they do, whether they give off a good image or whatever, simply because of how they look, whether it be obese, black, white, Asian or Harbhajan Singh.

How a person looks has got absolutely nothing to do with how they perform, and yes, as a large person, I do take offence at the implication.

I'm fat, I know it, but I'll guarantee you and all your stick figure mates that it makes absolutely no friggen difference how I do any of my jobs, and never will.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    So get a life may have been the wrong words to use. Fair enough, I toned down what I really wanted to say because someone would probably give me a bloody yellow card.

I just happen to think it is a load of bull@@@@ that some people pass judgement on whether others are good at what they do, whether they give off a good image or whatever, simply because of how they look, whether it be obese, black, white, Asian or Harbhajan Singh.

How a person looks has got absolutely nothing to do with how they perform, and yes, as a large person, I do take offence at the implication.

I'm fat, I know it, but I'll guarantee you and all your stick figure mates that it makes absolutely no friggen difference how I do any of my jobs, and never will.
    I think it is a stretch to use the word 'obese' in the same sentence as black, white and Asian. Can't recall the last time an obese person was lynched or thrown in jail for 15 years because of they are overweight. As for Harbhajan Singh, the guy is a racist. Sorry, zero tolerance.

I'll put a different angle on it. Surely it is refreshing to be judging a man by his body shape. Generally it is men judging women according to their 'tastes'. My judgment of Demetriou has a rationale.

Apologies if you take umbrage - my original post may have been a tad insensitive. But I don't back down from the premise that it is incongruent for the head of a sporting body to be obese.

As for my 'mates', I think you have no idea who my 'mates' are, whether they are skinny, fat, black white, male female, or whatever.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Blog Entries
    The fat controller should have a serious word with Cartlon the tank engine...

I'd like to see more of Mike Fitzpatrick, he always looked lovely in his tight white Carlton shorts during his playing days and was quite handsome too (but not as GOOORGEOUS as Mark McClure at the time). Fitz looks better as he gets older and wears a suit well (unlike Mark McClure now). He still makes my ovaries twitch after all these years (although not as fast as they used too - I am in my mid 40's after all!)
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    Whether you or any one else can do their job regardless of their body size is not the issue here!

The talk is actually about the top person in the biggest sporting organisation in Australia not setting an example to all the young people out there. If you believe the 'news', they say there is a huge problem with child obesity, so of course the top people in sport in Australia should be setting an example!
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Sounds like I'm not going to win here.

Back to my chocolate cake.......
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    The fat controller should have a serious word with Cartlon the tank engine...
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12