71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Davo

47 66.20%
  • Bevo

24 33.80%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The ULTIMATE poll

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Haddad View Post
    My point is that Davo has the potential to be the third highest goal kicker in the competition.

Hell, he's even said that he has the potential to win a brownlow (his words, not mine).

We have seen brilliant bursts from Davo over the years. Unfortunately, that's all we've gotten from him ... bursts.
    Goodes has the potential to be BOG every game but he's not. However, overall he's good enough to be in the side even when he's below his best. Same with Davis (who doesn't have the potential be third best goalkicker anyway - that's an absurd claim).
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

My point is that Davo has the potential to be the third highest goal kicker in the competition.
    Just ia ridiculous statement to make. If he played Johnson's role at the Bulldogs on the end of that delivery from midfield, then yes he could. But how on earth could he do that playing as a third forward!
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Blog Entries
    Can we have tackling stats for forwards?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Goodes has the potential to be BOG every game but he's not. However, overall he's good enough to be in the side even when he's below his best. Same with Davis.
    You comparing Davis in the same line as Goodes then?

Davis can be lazy when he is off the ball, Goodes at least still tries to work hard, when he isn't playing well.

Davis is starting to become overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    You comparing Davis in the same line as Goodes then?
    Whoosh...

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Suspended by the MRP
    Davis needs to be firebombed to the extreme for not pulling his weight, just like stupid Ticketmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Can we have tackling stats for forwards?
    Davis does about 1.3 per game, similar to Hall and MOL. Well behind ROK. Certainly an area for Davis to work on.

Davis averages about 12 disposals, 1.8 goals and 1.3 tackles per game.

He should work on improving that to about 16, 2.2 and 2.3, and then he will be one of the top players in our side. He's not that far off those numbers, but needs to make more of an effort, and needs to be involved more in the game plan.

To put that into perspective, here are stats from some other small forwards/part-time midfielders in 2007.

S Johnson 18.6, 2.5, 2.2
    B Johnson 19.3, 2.8, 1.8
    B Ebert 11.4, 2.2, 1.6
    L Davis 12.5, 1.3, 4.3
    A Didak 17.2, 1.8, 2.0 (2006)
    C Jones 13.7, 2.0, 2.4
    S Grant 16.7, 1.6, 1.6
    Last edited by NMWBloods; 23rd April 2008 at 11:39 AM.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hell, he's even said that he has the potential to win a brownlow (his words, not mine).

We have seen brilliant bursts from Davo over the years. Unfortunately, that's all we've gotten from him ... bursts.
    I understand the frustration with his potential, but it really is just Mark Waugh Syndrome... and I'd possibly extend it to a newly created "Every man" syndrome; Mark Waugh had a top test score of around 150, but sheeeeeeeesh based on his talent that was a dissapointment. He was a solid player for many years, played in a fantastic side but was a constant source of dissapointment to people because "on talent alone he should average the most since Bradman!".

Every man syndrome? Every man who pulled on a boot will look at Nick Davis and think "sheeeeesh, if I had half his talent I would have been a superstar!"
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Davis does about 1.3 per game, similar to Hall and MOL. Well behind ROK. Certainly an area for Davis to work on.

Davis averages about 12 disposals, 1.8 goals and 1.3 tackles per game.

He should work on improving that to about 16, 2.2 and 2.3, and then he will be one of the top players in our side. He's not that far off those numbers, but needs to make more of an effort, and needs to be involved more in the game plan.
    Over the years I've heard a number of different commentators say that with the quality of his disposal and how smart he is with his use of the ball that he only needs to average mid teens to be as good as guys averaging in the 20s.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Over the years I've heard a number of different commentators say that with the quality of his disposal and how smart he is with his use of the ball that he only needs to average mid teens to be as good as guys averaging in the 20s.
    Which is why I think it is a quantitative thing, not qualitative. People complain about the use of stats, but in this case a simple increase in those stats (which aren't actually that bad now) would be a meaningful improvement in Davis' contribution to being one of the best players in the team. No need for fluffy, uncertain, qualitative, appearance measures in this case.

The myth about half backs constantly running off him is just that - a myth. I don't see him as meaningfully worse than most other forwards in the competition at covering his man, despite constant protestations to the contrary.

I voted for bevo as i thought the question was;

'Who is less of a tool?'

I'm abstaining on the grounds that the poll doesn't not have appropriate comparators. Bevo is an established first grader whilst Davo plays permanently in the reserves. Pick a first grader to compare with Bevo and I'm voting.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast