Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 5 v Queanbeyan

Sydney Swans Football Club ? Stick It Up Your Clacker!!

SYDNEY SWANS5.57.1210.1515.18108
    QUEANBEYAN 3.26.48.613.886
    Is this what Nick Davis is saying to Roos and the leadership group? On this weeks performance this was the only conclusion I could draw. Nick played on the half back line, and once in possession his abundant talent was on show for all to see ? his vision and brilliant disposal, the ability to hit blokes lace out on the dead run from long distance was simply amazing. Not once or twice, but time after time after time. Equally evident was Davis? lack of work ethic; once he had been beaten in a contest, there were several occasions when Nick simply stopped and watched others fight for the contested ball. He made it so obvious that (despite media reports denying it) it seemed that instead of the number 2, he was carrying a sign on his back that read ?Please Trade Me?. It was enough to make any committed fan weep. I consider it a sad reflection on Nick Davis, the coaching staff and the leadership group that such an extraordinary talent appears to be going down the gurgler.

Almost as sideline to the Nick Davis show, the reserves returned to the winning list with a comfortable 22 point victory over Queenbeyan. This game saw the return to footy of Nick Fosdike and Timmy Schmidt ? both appeared pretty rusty, but their presence in contested ball situations was a significant factor in the teams performance. I would think that both need more time to gain match fitness before returning to the firsts, but was encouraged that both of them appeared to get through in one piece. Less encouraging was the absence of Vespremi, Laidlaw, O?Keefe and Murphy. So once again, the ressies entered battle with only 12 listed players in the squad. Even worse, Mocca White went down with an ankle injury in the second quarter, so much of the game was played with eleven.

The game commenced with Brennan and Beckmans as the KPP forwards, White and Faulks the KPP backs. Despite the rucking duties being shared between two asparagus spear top ups, the Swans midfielders worked hard and won the centre clearances all day. This combined with the masterful quarter back display from Davis ensured that there was a plentiful supply of good ball to the forwards. As a result the Swans had opened up a two goal lead by quarter time, and the only subsequent danger appeared not to come from the opposition, but from some extremely poor shooting for goal. In the first half Brennan distinguished himself with 1-4, we were spared more pain because he went back to cover after Mocca did his ankle. Beckmans could have kicked a dozen, he read Davis? long passes to perfection and took a string of very nice contested marks. His return for these efforts was 4-7, plus several total shanks that either went out of bounds or didn?t make the distance. By the end of the game his confidence in front was so shot that he backpassed after marling 25 metres out. Regardless, one could not fail to be impressed with his efforts.

At the other end we are finally starting to see some significant improvement from Peter ?Columbo? Faulks. He is a good size now, has good closing speed and spoiling technique. He is also starting to become effective on the rebound. I had my doubts with this kid last year, but now he is looking like a ?keeper?.

A very even display from the midfielders ? no real standouts among the listed players. But compared to three weeks ago there appears to be more cohesion, resulting in more effective run and carry. O,Dwyer continues to impress with his ability to break lines and dismay with pitiful disposal. Brabazon is in his third year now ? he should be starting to dominate, but it just does not seem to eventuate. I?m starting to think that it was a mistake to retain him. I was really taken with Spiteiri, a diminutive helmet headed top up. Three weeks ago he looked like a lost schoolboy, this week he was at the bottom of the packs and doing a terrific job winning clearances. He is also a fantastic mark for his size and a sharpshooter to boot. This kid has the ability to be a top player, tiny as he is.

In fact I confidently expect a good showing from the NSW-ACT Rams again this year, as these kids are really benefiting from the experience of playing in what is in effect the strongest country league in NSW or Victoria. (doubters please note that the relatively cashed up ACT clubs pick the eyes out of leagues like the Ovens Murray)

Sydney Swans: 5-5, 7-12, 10-15, 15-18-108
    Queenbeyan: 3-2, 6-4, 8-6, 13-8-86

SYDNEY SWANS
    Goal Kickers: M. Beckmans 4, D. Spiteri 3, R. Brabazon 2, L. Brennan, A. Bruce, M. Rawson, N. Davis, A. Sneddon, R. Bottin-Noonan
    Best Players: M. Beckmans, N. Davis, D. Spiteri, P. Faulks, M O?Dwyer
    QUEANBEYAN
    Goal Kickers: M. Armstrong 3, P. Williams 3, A. Lieschke 2, M. Powell 2, R. Quade, S. Dickinson, J. Feuererot
    Best Players: M. Powell, A. Lieschke, N. Irwin, A. Carey, S. Dickinson, L. Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by SportingPulse
    Sun 4/5/08 @ SCG

SYDNEY SWANS
    Goal Kickers: M. Beckmans 4, D. Spiteri 3, R. BRABAZON 2, L. BRENNAN, A. BRUCE, M. Rawson, N. DAVIS, A. Sneddon, R. Bottin-Noonan
    Best Players: M. O'DWYER, N. DAVIS, A. BRUCE, L. BRENNAN, D. Spiteri, P. FAULKS
    QUEANBEYAN
    Goal Kickers: M. ARMSTRONG 3, P. Williams 3, A. LIESCHKE 2, M. Powell 2, R. QUADE, S. DICKINSON, J. FEUERHEROT
    Best Players: M. Powell, A. LIESCHKE, N. IRWIN, A. Carey, S. DICKINSON, L. WILKINSON

Round 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre
    I called the reserves for Queanbeyan FM and I thought Nick Davis was the best man on the ground.
    Only kicked one goal, but didn't go near the forward 50 until the final quarter.
    He spent most of his time rotating between the back pocket and half back and controlled the play. He took good marks, his kicking was spot on (especially long).
    I'd be very surprised if Roosy wasn't extremely happy, considering IMO he did everything that was asked of him.
    Young Daniel Spiteri from the East Coast Eagles (No.54 in the helmet) was absolutely outstanding and could easily have tipped Davis out - by the end of the match he had tackle, mark, goal and play of the day all sewn up.
    Matthew Beckmans was the player to kick four goals, not Aaron Bruce, but he really should have kicked 10 - he ended with 4.6 plus one out on the full and another that didn't make the distance from 35m - most from set shots. Looks a likely type, but must learn how to kick.
    Matt O'Dwyer started quietly at half back but got better and better as the match went on and was dominant by the final term and Bruce had an outstanding game all over the field.

We only had 11 listed players in the match, and I've already spoken of Davis, Beckmans, O'Dwyer and Bruce.
    Of our other senior contenders:

Nic Fosdike started on the bench, didn't see any action until the second quarter and was only sparingly used after that. He did some good things and will get better, but he's at least a couple of weeks away.
    Jesse White started very well at full back and looked like he was about to tear the game apart, but went down clutching his left ankle in a marking contest shortly before half time. After being helped to the bench, he looked in a world of pain and didn't come out of the rooms after half time.
    Nick Smith was okay, he did a few good things but certainly didn't break the game open as I would have thought he would for someone who has had a taste of senior footy.
    Tim Schmidt I didn't see a lot of - he was in and under the packs a fair bit as he usually is, but he wasn't a major factor on the game and I'd be surprised if he did enough to be considered.
    Ryan Brabazon was heavily tagged from start to finish was pretty well beaten on the day despite kicking two goals. He will need to do more.
    Peter Faulks did a brilliant job on Queanbeyan's representative forward James Kavanagh, who was completely shut out of the contest. Faulks is still light, but he looked impressive, despite not getting a lot of the footy himself.
    Luke Brennan started at full forward and provided a strong target, kicking an early goal, but he was soon overshadowed by Beckmans and ended up down the other end. He was handy for most of the day, but as with Smith, I don't think he played as big a role as the selectors might have liked.

In summary, Queanbeyan started each quarter better than Sydney, but the Swans had just a little bit more polish and a little bit more fitness and ran out each of the first three quarters better, however, it was the Tigers who finished well in the last 10 minutes to avoid a blow out. The Swans wasted a lot of very kickable shots on goal, but it was a handy and much needed win after a poor start to the year.

White is the biggest worry, but the word I got after the game was his injury wasn't as serious as it could have been and he may miss no more than two weeks.

Well it seems that we all saw this game differently - Davis both amazed and disgusted me. Anyway FWIW here is my report. I disagreed with the best as listed on the pulse so added my own.
    Last edited by ScottH; 5th May 2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Blog Entries
    Davis 2nd best player, with only one goal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Round 5

15.18-108 SYDNEY SWANS 9:50 AM
    Sun 4/May

SCG
    def.
    13.8-86 QUEANBEYAN
    SYDNEY SWANS
    Goal Kickers: M. Beckmans 4, D. Spiteri 3, R. BRABAZON 2, L. BRENNAN, A. BRUCE, M. Rawson, N. DAVIS, A. Sneddon, R. Bottin-Noonan
    Best Players: M. O''DWYER, N. DAVIS, A. BRUCE, L. BRENNAN, D. Spiteri, P. FAULKS
    QUEANBEYAN
    Goal Kickers: M. ARMSTRONG 3, P. Williams 3, A. LIESCHKE 2, M. Powell 2, R. QUADE, S. DICKINSON, J. FEUERHEROT
    Best Players: M. Powell, A. LIESCHKE, N. IRWIN, A. Carey, S. DICKINSON, L. WILKINSON
    Who's that best player for QBN. Worth a look?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Who's that best player for QBN. Worth a look?
    ((shrugs)) some hack??

Reserves Results please

As above

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    15.18-108 SYDNEY SWANS def.
    13.8-86 QUEANBEYAN

SYDNEY SWANS
    Best Players: M. O''DWYER, N. DAVIS, A. BRUCE, L. BRENNAN, D. Spiteri, P. FAULKS
    QUEANBEYAN

From sportingpulse
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Did you see the 2's Stell? Did you see them?

Blog Entries
    Interesting (at least I think it is) that Davis is in the best after only kicking the 1 goal- suggests he kept himself busy in the manner that they desire.

Davis got the "2" for the best list, Ugg remind me- does that place him second best on ground for the Swans or fifth?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    15.18-108 SYDNEY SWANS def.
    13.8-86 QUEANBEYAN

SYDNEY SWANS
    QUEANBEYAN

From sportingpulse
    Well I'm stunned. I am a card carrying member of the Dicky Navis fan club but to me he looked very disinterested for about 75% of that game and I was furious at him!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Did you see the 2's Stell? Did you see them?
    I missed them, NARF am I!

I even tried to go as far afield as the @@@@in' ACT to see if anyone knew how he went!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Well I'm stunned. I am a card carrying member of the Dicky Navis fan club but to me he looked very disinterested for about 75% of that game and I was furious at him!
    That may have been the role the coaching staff asked him to perform

Davis played predominately across half back.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast