Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: so now we tunnell

so now we tunnell

from the ch 9 footy show tonight, they are whinging about B2 tunnelling Reiwoldt. Never heard of this before.

Now for the next rule change

WHAAA?

Why am I thinking Hopoate?

hahaha...not that kind of tunnelling Deadly! It is not the picking of the nose kind either. Apparently it is a tactic used whereby the defender takes out the legs of a leading forward who is jumping for a grab to put them off balance. They even had Andrew Gaze to give his opinion on Footy Classified because it is apparently a tactic used in basketball (I played for 15 years and never heard of it at all!!!)

It seems like just another bit of fluff to me...I think the Saints are trying to outlaw all plays which end up in Nick Riewoldt being touched whilst going for the ball. As if he ain't already enough of a protected species. It pretty much looked to me that Bolton was just legitimately going towards the ball...I sincerely hope they don't change the rules as our great game is getting more and more like netball every day...
    Go you mighty BLOODBOYS!

Veteran Site Admin
    There's a thread over on BF about this. Someone has produced a link to two supposed examples of Bolton doing this (on youtube)

I realise I am one-eyed about this but both the instances on youtube look to me like optimistic - possibly even unrealistic - attempts by Riewoldt to mark a ball that has been delivered way way over his head. I realise that one of the things that we love about the game is flying attempts at high marks, but at some point the flying player has to accept that if he's reckless he may get hurt. Bolton was already in motion in both instances when Riewoldt chose to leap up. I can't see what he could have done to stop making contact with Riewoldt's flailing legs.

Maybe he's just meant to stand 50m away to give Riewoldt free reign at every ball?

Poor old reiwoldt couldnt get his hair messed up... from what Ive seen on Youtube from the footage its just trash talk. Why dont they all just campaign to have Sydney kicked out of the league. All that is wrong with the game is our fault.... you heard it here first!

riewoldt is jumping basically into the side of bolton probably for extra reach, fair enough. Bolton makes the mistake of trying to nudge him fairly instead of standing still or offering riewoldt a hand and now stkilda are sulking.

It happens week in week out. Theres a real anti sydney sentiment doing the rounds of forums and so on this week
    Theres not much left to say

Tunnelling in the strict sense of the word in basketball, is when a player has attempted a lay up, is on his way down and an opposing player runs under him to take his legs out. In football, for this to happen it would probably result in a 50 metre penalty as a late contact after a mark. Incidental contact in a marking contest could not in any way shape or form be construed as tunnelling.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

My parents were both good basketballers but my Mum has never heard of "tunnelling".She did however.know what it was when it was explained to her.Roosy would know about it,not necessarily the name "tunnelling" because apparantly,according to the folks,he was a very gifted and good basketballer and has openly said he wouldn't mind coaching when they move back to the US.
    No way would it have been a purposeful act,just a defensive move our coaches thought would be effective.Riewoldt does tend to hit the deck fairly easily.

I finished playing basketball about 15 years ago. Tunnelling was often called by the refs. Can't remember if it was called as an intentional foul or a technical foul though. Usually resulted in 2 shots and a side ball.

This pretty funny

Riewoldt jumps early, defender is perfectly entitled to go to the footy. Keep your feet it won't happen. It's the obvious risk if you jump early, ball is there to be contested.

Nothing will come of it.
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Regular in the Side
    St Kilda are going to officially complain!
    ---------||--ANNE--||----------

I think this is a deliberate attempt by StKilda to deflect the wrath of their fans after their insipid performance and flooding tactics on Saturday night. Otherwise, why was it not addressed last year when it allegedly happened.

Saints planning challenge to Swans 'tunnelling' tactic

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast