Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forward Structure with Barry back

I'm hoping he plays up the ground, further from the goals. Alot has been made of the amount of fitness he has done in his "time off" here's hoping they put it to use and let the forward line function as it has.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think that's a fair observation of Bazza's game at all. When he's been fit and in form he's never come across as a selfish footballer in the sense of hogging the goal kicking, or trying unrealistic attempts. If anything he's sometimes been too unselfish. I don't think him trying to crash through tackles is a sign of selfishness - he knows that he is often able to do it and can create something out of nothing by sometimes throwing his weight around (in a good way) in the forward line.

The main "downside" to him is that sometimes he gets aggro with team mates when he does find space and they don't manage to find him. But that generally happens when he's not having his best game and is getting frustrated. And many of the power forwards do exactly the same. It's partly a sign of the pressure on them to kick goals week in week out.
    Spot on Liz IMO he some times needs to be a little selfish.
    I think we waste opportunities in front of goal when we do those dinky little passes,some times it works and some times not.

I can under stand his frustration with team mates as i use to be like that and still am in sport.When some body works so hard to create space or a passing opportunity and it doesnt come their way then get pissed off.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I'm hoping he plays up the ground, further from the goals. Alot has been made of the amount of fitness he has done in his "time off" here's hoping they put it to use and let the forward line function as it has.
    I would also like to see him play up the ground,run around more and just rest in the forward line.I feel he could be a very handy player for us if he has a bit of a free licence to go where he wants.He would probably take Hudghton away from the goals as well.

Senior Player
    Henry Playfair looked lost last night.

Fix it , Roosy et al.

I thought it worked ok to be honest, it was more that Playfair was absolutely terrible last night for most of the night then anything else.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I thought it worked ok to be honest, it was more that Playfair was absolutely terrible last night for most of the night then anything else.
    Would've looked a lot better if he'd kicked that sitter.
    I wonder if Baz's presence put Henry off his own positioning? If so, yes, we need to fix it - he can be useful as we've seen.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'd like to see Jolly play at FF until MOL is fit again. He's a pretty good mark.

This would require Everitt being able to ruck for 80% of the game which is questionable, but he must be getting close to full fitness by now.

Jolly at FF, Hall at CHF leading up the field (as playfair was doing). Everitt and LRT rucking.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'd like to see Jolly play at FF until MOL is fit again. He's a pretty good mark.

This would require Everitt being able to ruck for 80% of the game which is questionable, but he must be getting close to full fitness by now.

Jolly at FF, Hall at CHF leading up the field (as playfair was doing). Everitt and LRT rucking.
    Grundy should be played at full forward. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Will be interesting to see how the forward structure operates now that Barry Hall will be back. There were times in the past we were too Barry-centric and that cost us. We have managed to kick alot of goals from an even spread of guys without him in these 7 weeks, especially the last 4.
    They sucked now that Barry is back.
    They're still Blind-Barry-centric.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Well, Bazza's back and it seems that at times the Swans reverted back to the Hall-centric style that was prominent in 2007.

If it continues, Hopefully Hall can get a lead against his opponent and mark the ball like he did prior to the brain snap. The absence of MOL and Playfair makes it much harder to resist kicking it to Hall most of the time.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

From sitting in the O"reilly stand on saturday night, it was very frustrating to watch Hall leading to the pockets rather than towards the centre. Swans seem to make a habit of going wide, which obviously cuts down the angle..... mind you a few of those posters were from pretty straight angles.

I can't understand why Hall isn't crashing packs at CHF rather than leading into 2 on 1 contests on the boundary line.....

the forward strucure could be

hf: Gary Ablett, Wayne Carey, Dermott Brereton
    F: Jason Dunstall, Tony Lockett, Leigh Matthews

all at their peak and it would not matter with the way we get the ball down there.

A lot of our problems up forward stem from pathetic delivery and the abusrd amount of time we take to get the ball down there.

When we do hit a leading target they are so wide and on a stupid angle its impossible to score.

The forwards themselves need to be more direct in their leads and actually keep presenting and demand the ball.

They need to make sure someone is crumbing the packs, not have 3-4 fly for the ball and no one at ground level.

and for the love of god if you have it 40 out on an angle why go back 15 metres on pretty much the same angle. A short pass is fine if it makes the shot a lot easier but cmon.
    Theres not much left to say

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast