Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Davis asks for second chance

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post

It seems because he isnt that skilled he is rewarded for just trying
    Hence why LRT gets a regular game
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

[QUOTE=swansrule100;390560]on that basis we should close the forum because none of us work at the club or coach the players
    QUOTE]

You've actually made some sense here - the reason the team is as it is, is because the SSFC football dept does know a lot more about the structural requirements, and individual roles and attributes and than anyone here. By a long way.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    How many tackles does Henry make?
    The numbers (stats) are not the key.
    For example, he obviously has less opportunities than a midfielder to lay tackles.
    It's how he tackles and pressures when he has the chance.
    He has contested well in the marking contests, and follows up with second efforts and tackles (fwd pressure) when the ball hits the ground.
    It's not the sort of stuff that wins votes from the umpires or gets you in the best in the papers... but 1%ers help win games of football.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Now I know there are issues we are not aware of in the continuing saga, so we are all having a bit of a guess here as to what the problem is. However, it seems there is clearly one rule for Davis and a different set for others. for starters - he was told (and the footy community) that he was being sent back to reserves for a month at least - now which other player gets that announced publicly? none of them do. Yes he has to get his act together, and I hope that he does. However, confidence is a big thing, and his is clearly down. If your integrity, drive, enthusiasm or whatever is continually questioned in public by your own coach and team mates, then that is bound to get to you eventually, its human nature. And then you get Jim Main saying that players like Crouch and Matthews should be put up on a pedestal because they were members of a premiership side, Well so was Davis!!! (despite what some think) if it wasnt for him in the Semi - there wouldnt have been a 2005 premiership!!! our campaign would have ended on that Friday night because I didnt see anyone else kicking straight in the final quarter of the Geelong Semi final - did you? Anyway - I hope that he gets his head together and he is back in seniors because when he is on song - its breathtaking.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    if it wasnt for him in the Semi - there wouldnt have been a 2005 premiership!!! our campaign would have ended on that Friday night because I didnt see anyone else kicking straight in the final quarter of the Geelong Semi final - did you?
    I saw the team executing a great set play with a sensational tap to Davis. Throughout the 1/4 the other 22 players busted there guts to get the ball into our FWD 50.

Sick of hearing Davis got us into the GF - he finished off the work from his team mates really well - thats what he was in the team for to kick goals. Fair enough the last one was a ripper but he nor all the sad cases that are in love with him can hang their hats on this game for ever...it doesnt mean he should get a gold senior team card because of it.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    Davis has had a couple of chances this season and didnt really grab either of them. Davis expects he should be in the senior team but doesnt want to do the hard work required to get back. Im sure if he had 7 or 8 tackles in the 2's would mean so much more than 4 - 5 goals.
    I must admit that pretty much my main issue with it is I don't think he was really given a chance in the seniors. 1 game for a senior player before being dropped? I hate it enough when they do that to a kid.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    The old "subtly suggest I have inside knowledge to substantiate my own opinions without actually coming out and saying that I ahve inside information because I don't" ruse. Good work!
    ah what the

Senior Player
    I saw the team executing a great set play with a sensational tap to Davis. Throughout the 1/4 the other 22 players busted there guts to get the ball into our FWD 50.
    To be fair, Davis was probably our best that night. 24 possessions, 4 goals. Only Kirk had more touches.

No tackles though...

Sick of hearing Davis got us into the GF - he finished off the work from his team mates really well - thats what he was in the team for to kick goals. Fair enough the last one was a ripper but he nor all the sad cases that are in love with him can hang their hats on this game for ever...it doesnt mean he should get a gold senior team card because of it.

Well tell me who else kicked a goal in the last quarter of that game huh?? both Boltons missed, Buchanan missed,Hall missed, so basically - Goal kicking isnt important in a match then If you dont like him - fine - but I would prefer 100 Davis's to just one Matthews.! so sue me!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Hence why LRT gets a regular game
    Haha your just being silly but not sure how you can twist this into an anti LRT thread - again as with Playfair he has a role to play and must be doing it pretty well - he has been a key part of the best defence in the AFL and has been rucking in other games.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just as you are sick of hearing about Davis in the 05 SF I am sick of people trying to question the individual brilliance of that quarter. A tight, tight snap under pressure from the boundary, a snap over the shoulder from 40 sprinting away from the goal under heavy pressure, out positioning a few defenders and marking a big torp that has been banged forward and going back and being able to slot it through (that's the one I think my knees would have just crumbled under the pressure I must admit) then the final snap off his left foot when everyone at the ground knew the ball was going to him. 4 goals in a game we had only kicked 3 up until 3/4 time... and if you go back and watch the game he was one of our best for the first 3/4 as well.

The team played a huge part in the win, but it was his individual brilliance that got them over the line. I don't think he should live off it forever, or be able to waltz around doing nothing because of one game 3 years ago- but people shouldn't downplay it. A wonderful sporting moment.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    - I would prefer 100 Davis's to just one Matthews.! so sue me!
    Well no-one can argue with that

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast