Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
I realise that these things are subjective but the non-inclusion of our greatest pre- war footballer is disgraceful. The best footballer produced by Tasmania Laurie Nash was by all reports, particularly my Mum and Dad the greatest of the "golden generation" of 33. Nash although small could play centre half back or forward. He kicked 18 goals for Victoria against the Croweaters (still a record) and was dominant whenever he played. Two things went against him in the Legends selection. He left the VFL for the Association at the height of his career and the Great Depression with the Bloods to play for Camberwell for more money. Nash was the son of a blacklisted policeman who had been active in the Victorian police strike. He stood up for himself in an era when that attitude made him extremely unpopular with the VFL heirarchy. He volunteered and fought in New Guinea. He returned to the Bloods in 45 and played in the Grand Final against Carlton. He knocked unconscious the serial thug Bob Chitty in the last quarter of the match and brought the curtain down on a distinguished career. Is it any wonder that Nash didn't make into the Legends with Ken "Solvol" Hands on the selection panel. Hands played in that match and was decked by the great "Basher"Williams. No doubt the pain still lingers. Nash was a fearsome fast bowler for South Melbourne and Keith Miller reckoned he was the best cricketer never to be selected for Australia. Thet kept him out of the Bodyline series as part of the weak response to the Poms. Nash didn't endear himself to the powers that were in Victorian and Austyralian cricket by hitting Bill Woodfull in fierce spell of bowling in District grand Final. Laurie Nash is a legend of Australian sport.
thank god you said Laurie Nash - for a moment there I thought you were going to say Paul Bevan