Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: swans versus Collingwood game thread

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I'm still interested to see how we go against Hawthorn's 'cluster'. This is the first year they've really implemented this properly and it has worked against all but a couple of teams. The ones it hasn't worked against have kicked it long and accurately, and have moved the ball on quickly. That's not really the Swans. I suspect that if we beat the Hawks at the MCG it will be a low-scoring, grinding affair as it was last time.
    The round 11 game where we won 11.9 to 9.12 or the round 22 game where we won 22.9 to 10.9?

EDIT: Just re-read the post, but it wasn't a real low scoring game.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I flew up from Melbourne for this game, and midway through the 3rd quarter, I was thinking to myself, what the hell am I watching? 2 goals to this point? What I cant believe is how does Collingwood make us look so foolish, so second rate, i dont mind losing and playing well, but losing like this is sad, and only collingwood is able to this to us, we have actually played the same way against them in the previous 5 losses. I'm sorry to say this but, until we beat them, I will not be tipping the swans in the office tipping comp anymore when we play Collingwood, I really do believe it psychological for the boys against the pies, its all in their heads. Thats my 2 bobs worth.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    The round 11 game where we won 11.9 to 9.12 or the round 22 game where we won 22.9 to 10.9?

EDIT: Just re-read the post, but it wasn't a real low scoring game.
    11.9 -- 9.12 is a low scoring game.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

I'm still interested to see how we go against Hawthorn's 'cluster'. This is the first year they've really implemented this properly and it has worked against all but a couple of teams. The ones it hasn't worked against have kicked it long and accurately, and have moved the ball on quickly. That's not really the Swans. I suspect that if we beat the Hawks at the MCG it will be a low-scoring, grinding affair as it was last time.
    Haven't seen much of Hawthorn this year, but both their 'cluster' (if they played it) and their entire game vs the Weagles was pretty unimpressive last-up.

The thing that struck me on Sat night was that 'flooding' (in the 2003/4 sense of the word-- dropping large numbers a kick behind the ball carrier) works very poorly against a side like Sydney. All it does is create space for our defenders to make options, transfer the ball sideways, then run forward and put the ball over the flooders. What the Woods have worked out is that where your bodies should be 'flooding' is actually the 15-20 metres around and in front of the ball carrier, so that even if a man gets free to receive a handpass, he'll have nowhere to go, and ultimately will have to either take on multiple tacklers and probably lose, or do what the Swans hate doing: bomb it long to a one-on-one contest further up the ground.

No matter how you define Hawthorn's 'cluster' it seems to involve the movements of their back 6. Who pretty much by definition are incapable of stopping our run from HB (unless they move a truly absurd distance up the ground). So it probably won't be terribly relevant to who wins the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Haven't seen much of Hawthorn this year, but both their 'cluster' (if they played it) and their entire game vs the Weagles was pretty unimpressive last-up.

The thing that struck me on Sat night was that 'flooding' (in the 2003/4 sense of the word-- dropping large numbers a kick behind the ball carrier) works very poorly against a side like Sydney. All it does is create space for our defenders to make options, transfer the ball sideways, then run forward and put the ball over the flooders. What the Woods have worked out is that where your bodies should be 'flooding' is actually the 15-20 metres around and in front of the ball carrier, so that even if a man gets free to receive a handpass, he'll have nowhere to go, and ultimately will have to either take on multiple tacklers and probably lose, or do what the Swans hate doing: bomb it long to a one-on-one contest further up the ground.

No matter how you define Hawthorn's 'cluster' it seems to involve the movements of their back 6. Who pretty much by definition are incapable of stopping our run from HB (unless they move a truly absurd distance up the ground). So it probably won't be terribly relevant to who wins the game.
    Spot on - quick, hard tackling and pressuring of our set up off the quarter back and half back lines is what works against us (and Geelong). Hawks don't have a forward line that can do that. They can kick goals but they can't do that.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

The game against WC was unimpressive but they still won comfortably by 10 goals.

Their cluster is actually about zoning off space from the centre back, not flooding. It takes out the kick from half back to wing. It includes a mix of the backmen and the midfielders.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Meh....

We played @@@@ and were beaten.

But just looked at the ladder. We've played 14, Won 9, lost 4 and drawn 1. That's a hell of a lot better than I would of expected at the start of the year....

Next....

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Meh....

We played @@@@ and were beaten.

But just looked at the ladder. We've played 14, Won 9, lost 4 and drawn 1. That's a hell of a lot better than I would of expected at the start of the year....

Next....
    ... and Goodesy signed my guernsey (and allowed me to give him a kiss).

(Yes, I'm still the happiest swannies supporter that the left the stadium on saturday night.)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I'm still interested to see how we go against Hawthorn's 'cluster'. This is the first year they've really implemented this properly and it has worked against all but a couple of teams. The ones it hasn't worked against have kicked it long and accurately, and have moved the ball on quickly. That's not really the Swans.
    It's certainly not and the cluster totally stuffed us up.

Blog Entries
    It's certainly not and the cluster totally stuffed us up.
    Hmm. Looking at it from behind the goals it looked like an arrow all fwds and centres in the middle of the ground then the D50 are had the arrow head. Worked to @@@@ing well!!

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425