Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyrone starlet signs Swans deal / Coney staying in Ireland

A bummer. But recruiting Irish (or Canadian) players is a big punt. They take a lot club resource, so I reckon better he leaves now and doesn't waste our time.

It leaves us a bit exposed at the young end of our list while the Gold Coast draft plays out.

I'll be interested to see the Swans official announcement - surely imminent, now this story's all over Big Footy and presumably the local blats tomorrow.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by T-bag View Post
    I

For the Swans to place an international player on the Rookie list like this was just really really really really dumb. Can't emphasise how dumb it was. Should have given a local kid a go who had the desire to play AFL in the first place. Oh so DUMB!
    So they should just send Murphy packing now?

Clearly the risks are a bit higher than with a local lad, but the local lads with the natural sporting ability and athletic prowess of the players recruited from overseas aren't generally available with your last picks in each draft. Surely the key to building a superior list lies in balancing calculated risk taking with some "play-it-safe" "sure bets".

The Swans should be overjoyed by this news. Saves even more money for the cash-strapped rookie line item of the football department budget.

No point anyone complaining about how we could've given some other poor kid a chance if only he'd made his mind up earlier; we could've given 3 other kids a chance regardless of the Coney situation, and chose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair
    It leaves us a bit exposed at the young end of our list while the Gold Coast draft plays out.
    True enough. And the Swans have got what they deserve. If we are hit for injuries during 2009 (or simply hit by senior players who fail to come on as expected and are facing the end-of-year chop) but lack rookies to step into the breach, it's entirely of our own making.

Probably found the potato's in Australia not up to his standard.

AFL was obviously too hard for the young bloke. I still think the Club should sue him for breach of contract. However, spud chance of that happening.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Trained 5 weeks and found it too hard. Back to the potato farm for this one.

This thread officially DEAD!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Sauce? (Hot Chilli )
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

To clarify...yes he cost us a rookie spot which could have gone to Faulks or some other youngster, and no he didn't cost us any NSW players as we didn't rate any NSW players and decided not to rookie any of them.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Regular in the Side
    are we able to replace him at all at this late stage.
    Surely this exposes the potential of this happening at any club.
    There needs to be a mechanism in place for irish players who are rookie listed and then choose to return home to be able to be replaced.

That being said a contract is a contract.

should have taken on a yng Sth African kid..no chance of them going back

Irish boy = Pansy! oh hell why dont we just get another Canadian rugby player (or what ever he is) I'm sure the club will come up with some other half baked cooky idea under the guise of "innovation". Is it any wonder members & supporters are deserting the club.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

I'm still waiting for confirmation of this. All we have is one story from Ireland.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

See Tadhg and Brendan, told ya what some the so-called Swans supporters think of you really.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenite View Post
    See Tadhg and Brendan, told ya what some the so-called Swans supporters think of you really.
    When is Tadgh's bi-annual whinge about being homesick? Been a few months. Must be due.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast