Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Round 20 Cats gameday thread

Quote Originally Posted by schwattasboots View Post
    it thought the umpires cost us the game
    That's really pretty ridiculous, even for it! Umpiring was poor but Geelong was clearly the better side. The first four goals Geelong kicked were from frees but none of them seemed particularly controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by swantastic View Post
    Yes but 5 of those were from dodgey free kicks.The umps got them into the game.
    The first four goals didn't seem to be "dodgy".

in my heart of hearts i did not expect to win. I thought the players took it up to geelong and was probably our best performance in a month or so really. Just we played a team that is way better than us.

They do the little things so well, like lead straight or make position or create play. We look too slow and still and we go wide too often.

I dont think you could fault the endevour out there today, except for some junk time play the cats were about 70 points better, but that maybe says more about how great the cats are as opposed to how bad the swans are.

Positives for me: being at the ground seeing the cats play was good. Bird looked composed and assured out there he has the best footy brain of our midfield in my opinion.

Hall looked back in form, and was beating taylor, but we did not use that, we force him wide and kick poorly toward him.

I also think the guys did not chuck in the towel, i know its a bit touchy feely and so what but they never gave an inch despite the flogging.

The negatives: well goodes, i guess he has an injury but he is a leader at this club and does not stand up. Okeefe is being tagged out of games and played out of position.

Roberts-thompson on mooney was the worst match up of the night. Having him there did not help the team nor lrt at all. He either needs to improve a hell of a lot or nick off, because he is not up to standard.
    Theres not much left to say

[QUOTE=Nico;404943]
    Quote Originally Posted by Swans500 View Post

What game did you watch tonight? I respectfully suggest that you wouldn't know if your bum was on fire.
    Respectfully siggest you watch the tape and see quicker players going around under ansd through Kennelly and beating him one on one. All I'm saying is that at the moment he is not the player he was and the road back to 100% looks a long a difficult one....does he really want to do it?

Someone mentioned McVeigh no good at tagging....I think you will find HE WAS TAGGED by big red (and well beaten).
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

I appreciate the fact that we attempted a bit of "running in waves" it's just that the brain also needs to apply in that if there are six Geelong players in the centre square then the running in waves should stop and the bloke with the ball should kick it to one of the players who should be free further upfiedl....that is what Geelong do. Also the time between receive and give for Geelong is very, very short....we take too long. Also a lot of our handballs in waves go up, up, up in an arc...or behind to the ground.. I presume that this is simply lack of execution skill.

The very, very scary thing, though was our complete ineptitude when confronted with a zone..There were several great examples of down the ground camera shots showing a Clarkson cluster up the lin...players every 20 metres without a man...plus the same 20 metres inboard. The Swans must have been standing still in the corridor, but we are so drilled to go up the line that we several times kicked up the line to a 3 on 1. Very weird. every knows that the cluster is broken either by switching or by handpass/short kick through the centre followed by long kick over the zone. When we switched we stopped and propped far too often, it has to be "Switch and go." Again a big difference between us and themm is that our wingers and half forwards just could not seem to break into space for a 30-40 metre kick whereas they did it with ease most of the time.

Other big difference (as noted by many) was the inability to stop them getting a handball away when "tackled." They never looked rattled when pressured, just kept handballing through almost tackle after almost tackle until a man was well in the clear. I think maybe 2 times in the game we stopped them (for a ball up). In the other hand they must have stopped us 15 or 20 times, with 7 or 8 going for goals or HTB at the least.

This has been a big problem for some time and was the reason MOD came in...in the game against Carlton we only stopped them rebounding 50 a couple of times in the entire match (and the first was in the 3rd q IIRC).
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

i agree with a lot of what you say sharp9. I also found it frustrating to see one G.Ablett running free a few times, wouldn't someone be his shadow all night?

not only do players not find the space that often when they do its usually backward from the play, and that is a waste against geelong.

Also mattner for instance was a victim of his team mates play quite a few times, we get a bit of dash going and handball back to him when he is stationary, perhaps he should be moving forward.

As a club we are poor decision makers which shows up time and time again against face pace committed opposition
    Theres not much left to say

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    I also think the guys did not chuck in the towel, i know its a bit touchy feely and so what but they never gave an inch despite the flogging.
    Not touchy feely at all -- I think someone else on here also commented on this about the Swans (that they rarely get booted right off the park), IMO it's a pretty admirable quality, and a good practice to instil in the youngsters while they're still learning the game. Otherwise I agree with your comments, class seemed to be the big difference, the Cats were swift of mind and foot and we weren't.

The Swans have a good reputation for always sticking around and rarely giving up. We haven't lost a game by more than 50 points since 2004.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718