Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: retirement

retirement

Should some blokes announce their retirements this week so they can farwell their home crowd?

seems like the bloods thing to do, rather than hang on to your spot and wait to be kicked out
    Theres not much left to say

Still a chance of a home final so probably not.

Mathews, L.Barry, Crouch and Everitt should all retire at season's end in my opinion.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

true.

Just even though some maybe should of gone a year ago, seen as the guys we are talking about played in the premiership it would be nice to see them get a good send off.

I know we all want to delist a few that are past it etc, but they still provided great memories, be a shame to just see them retire after a season

maybe some emotion can stir a decent effort from the side
    Theres not much left to say

Yeah good point. Hard to know which is the best way to go.

Leo will probably play on but I don't think he should. Surely they won't allow Everitt or Mathews to go another year.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

They should be holding a press conference at Driver Avenue this afternoon to announce as much.

Leo, Spida, Crouch and Mathews.

I'd even support Ben getting a game considering the result will mean nothing. He can then retire on the Bradmanesque figure of 199 matches.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Leo - one more year
    Mathews - wont retire, they will cut him, he will give up the game like he did
    pluggers number 4 (ie he wont)
    Crouch - One more year, and will spend it all in the reserves
    Spida - Retired
    Davis - delisted...... Then we will re-draft him with pick 68

Trouble is we have no one to replace Leo or Spida.

Think Mathews and Crouch will retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

For Spida, Currie. White and LRT can also lend a hand should he or Jolly get injured.

For Leo, White, Murphy and Faulks are all potential options down back.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    For Leo, White, Murphy and Faulks are all potential options down back.
    Trouble is they would all get murdered at the moment. No doubt they are great options, but you would want them coming in and playing their first dozen games off the bench, not in a key post like full back.

Murphy - Only played a handful of games, will be a star, but not ready.

Faulks - Like the boy, still trying to find his feet, let alone at full back.

White - Isn't a full back, never has been and never will be.

I dont think many will retire unless they get kicked out. Spider and Mathews are the only 2 i can see going.
    Hard to see who the club will choose to give the axe!
    Nick Davis will go 1 way or another i think if he doesnt retire he will get the boot i reckon.
    Do any of the players above deserve in your oppinion to go out on a high on their terms?
    Some of those are great servers of the club for many years. Benny was fantastic at one point....
    OUR EDGE IS REG

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

Off the top of my head Matthew Carr and Heath Black at Freo are both 29, Mark Johnson and, Jason Johnson are about 30 and Adam Ramanauskas is 27. All are retiring. Great Lions players like Voss and Leppitsch were only about 30 also.

AFL is becoming a young man's game and the Swans have to face up to that or be in the basement for a long time.

Regarding Leo, he hasn't been first choice full back for a while. Could a young defender really do worse given the number of frees he gives away in the modern game?

And Currie has to be given the opportunity to develop in the seniors. Spida is too old now unfortunately to offer us anything beyond this season.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Great Lions players like Voss and Leppitsch were only about 30 also.
    They were 31, the same as Chris Johnson.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast