Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help support an AFL team in Tassie.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    The VFL's team death is more to do with a determination to recreate the Statewide League from next year than the success or lack of success of the Devils.

The logistical side of things is an issue, but despite regional rivalry, we aren't talking North/South Korea here, if it is managed well it will work. Tasmanians are generally pretty proud of being Tasmanian, a well managed entry into the AFL would most likely see a lot of people take on two teams (their current team and a new one) initially, and has been seen in SA and WA, gradually see some allegiances swap over for the local team. Some will never swap over. of course.

Money isn't going to be a massive problem, the State Government will underwrite the side and a company like Mars (which isn't based in Tasmania at all) is currently running the "Believe" ad campaign to support the bid. The company doesn't need to be local to support the team and in anycase, there are a strong number of local companies and government authorities that heavily sponsor local football as it is.

This argument took a massive battering on Saturday night when only 28 businesses bought Corporate Boxes (there were 80 on offer). The AFL world quite rightly has the right to ask whether it is worth spending 100Million on a 2nd Sydney team when an AFL loving state supported by their state government wants in.

Saturday Night proved that despite success for the Swans over the past 12 years and being one of the most recognisable sporting brands in Australia, we only have around 18K hardcore, thick and think fanbase in Sydney. How on earth can Western Sydney work in the next 10 years if the Swans hardcore base has only increased from around 4k to 18K in 12 years?

I personally wouldn't be going for the Tasmanian team, I haven't lived there for 11 years and have been a Swan since I was a kid, but there is genuine interest back home for this and if any new franchise has a chance of working without taking millions from the AFL coffers, it has to be Tasmania.
    Well put Damo.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    Hold on a second mate. Do you know anything about the rivalries & footy set-up in Tassie? Do you know how the Tassie VFL team has gone under because of this fierce north vs south rivalry?
    More importantly JF, do you know anything about football in Tassie?

Tasmania kills off Devils in VFL

Whilst your post may have sounded good when you posted it, it was devoid of the facts of the matter. Tassie is reforming the state league, has been looking at it for 3 years. It will be the perfect backup for a future AFL club from Tassie.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    More importantly JF, do you know anything about football in Tassie?

Tasmania kills off Devils in VFL

Whilst your post may have sounded good when you posted it, it was devoid of the facts of the matter. Tassie is reforming the state league, has been looking at it for 3 years. It will be the perfect backup for a future AFL club from Tassie.
    But a new statewide league does NOT solve the fierce north-south rivalry that exists in the state. Would a Tassie AFL team be hybrid Launceston AND Hobart? Would it be based in Launie because of the it having the better football-only facility? Or would they redevelop Bellerive & base the club in the capital?

Still I do have their guernsey design hot off the presses.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...tas_jersey.jpg

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    But a new statewide league does NOT solve the fierce north-south rivalry that exists in the state. Would a Tassie AFL team be hybrid Launceston AND Hobart? Would it be based in Launie because of the it having the better football-only facility? Or would they redevelop Bellerive & base the club in the capital?
    I don't worry myself about the things I have no control over. The Tassie guys will know what's best and it will be considered before Melbourne relocates as the Tassie Devils.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12