Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spida Retires

if he stays he will be a good rucking coach which roo's would be silly not to ask him to stay and fill that role or help with that role

Im also one who is glad Spidas done with.

Generally dont like being to negative , though Spida was a gumby this year. He gave nothing on Game days and last night just was the icing on the cake . Would of been handy when Ball retired on 06.
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Mcs I can't see him being any value. Our clearance work has gone backwards since he has been at the club. He just taps the ball anywhere and all I see of his value to us has been making a contest. We lost the game in the midfield and surely any Swans supporter who watched the game last night must been have incresingly frustrated as the Bullies slaughtered us at centre clearances and around the ground. It was 47 to 26 clearances at half time.

All his centre bounce second efforts were bumbling and fumbling attempts to smother the ball. Can anyone recall more than the very rare secondary clearance kick by him. Grundy would have been a far better option in the ruck last night.

Why would you pay him $100 grand to teach players to tap the ball (reports show Currie already has that talent) and I haven't seen him place himself in too many advantageous positions around the ground in the past 2 years like Jolly does. I reckon Jolly has done a great job given the little or no support he has had for 2 years.

fair point. I wouldnt pay him 100 grand to do it either to be honest. But I wouldnt think he would be full time either. I do think he has something to offer, but I can understand why some are hesitant too.

Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    White? As another example of a ruckman past his use-by date?

The team didn't help. If he stays for two years and we pick him up with last pick or pre-season pick. Better value than ala Mott 20 yr old.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

It was a mistake to recruit Spida, just a knee jerk reaction to Cox smashing Jolly and Doyle in the 06 GF.

Let's face it he was pretty poor for us. He was good at St.Kilda though

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I'm betting 20 cents that we go for Jeff White as fill in.

He has bought a house in Qld, so cross him off
    sprite

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Back on subject, Congrats on a great career Spida... Pity none of those good games were with the Swans.

We really did get him a year too late. The year before and it would of made a differnce. Yet another reason to barrack for anyone but the Hawks next weekend....

Jeff White anyone?
    Rather put the work into Jesse than the money into Jeff.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Recruiting Spida was not a mistake. He was great in 2007. Injury struck him down this year. But aside from all that, without Spida in 2007/8, we never would have been able to take a punt on Currie as a bottom age player. We would have been forced to recruit a ready-made but less talented ruckman. Also, since he arrived at the club, Jolly's performance has increase dramatically. Coincidence?

I'm perfectly happy with what Spida has given us, and I dearly hope he stays at the club.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    The team didn't help. If he stays for two years and we pick him up with last pick or pre-season pick. Better value than ala Mott 20 yr old.
    Actually, Mott was an excellent tap ruckman. Were it not for his attitude, he would still be at the club today.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Recruiting Spida was not a mistake. He was great in 2007. Injury struck him down this year. But aside from all that, without Spida in 2007/8, we never would have been able to take a punt on Currie as a bottom age player. We would have been forced to recruit a ready-made but less talented ruckman. Also, since he arrived at the club, Jolly's performance has increase dramatically. Coincidence?
    Just as easily could be natural development. Hall also dropped off hugely in form and attitude when he arrived. Coincidence? Grant Thomas, who coached both, doesn't think so.

Further, he cost us a draft pick which has been used to get a hugely promising player, and kept a spot from young players who may well have been able to step up, while contributing little himself.

It was a terrible, terrible move and was obvious from the start. What sort of message does it send when you recruit a player who admits he didn't want to help young players at his previous club in case he came up against them? That is one of the most disgusting, selfish, disloyal and greedy things I have ever heard, and it turned me against him from that moment.

Senior Player
    Chambers couldnt have done a worse job than Everitt did this year

what i dont understand is why he was persevered with when it was clear by mid season he was done

we would have been better off with LRT as the back up ruckman and Grundy in his role in defence, or getting a few games into Currie

Blog Entries
    Bye One year too late Spida.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast