Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough questions ahead for Sydney

I dont know what to think about Brennan. IMO I didnt think he was good enough when he got here, and still dont think he is but he has shown at times he is not far off being a more then servicable defender. His disposal especially by foot can really let him down though.

On the Rookie List
    For the time being I think the list is pretty alright as it is. Everyone keeps carrying on about us being too old and too slow but when the chips are down its these same "old" players that lift the team. Kirk, Barry, Hall, O'Laughlin etc have all stepped up at various times to keep the team afloat. They all may have had their own problems but Barry's looking a lot better after returning and Crouchy has been getting better with every game and with a full pre-season will finally find full fitness and form. Micky O has proven time and again in the past that he can overcome injuries and look better than ever. Barry Hall is still the most important cog in the forward machine and will benefit from a summer away from the spotlight to reload and come back better than ever.
    We have already lost Matthews and Spida and looks like Davo is gone aswell so thats enough for this summer. The experience of the older players will only benefit the likes of Moor, Ves, Brennan, Jack, Grundy etc and the kids should be able to step up and begin taking over from the year after. We could become the first club to win a flag while still in transition! Maybe not but the future is looking bright, and there is plenty of life in the old legs just yet.

I always lose count at this time of year.

How many players do we need to have on our list and retirements/delistings are needed?

I think out of the youngsters, the main one I see being delisted (only because he can't crack into the seniors side on a regular basis) is Nick Smith.

Hall is fine. He looked in good touch in recent weeks and should have another good year for us next year if his head is right.

Crouch showed dash last night but his disposal lets him down consistently. The question for the club is, are any young guys being denied a game when Crouch is in the seniors. If there are, then Crouch should make way.

Leo Barry strikes me as being at the crossroads. He could possibly eek out one more year but would it be a case of one year too many, as happens so often? His will be the toughest call of all given his standing at the club and I get the impression he wants to play on.

Hate to see two of my favourite players go but I suspect Davis and Fosdike will be on their way as well. They need to be moved on for younger players and their roles are easily filled I suppose. If Fosdike goes then you also have to question how Luke Ablett could stay at the club, though I doubt we'll see such wholesale changes.

Finding kids to run through the midfield should be a relatively easy task. My greatest concern is in our KPP stocks, where our players are either deficient (LRT) or passed their best (Leo, arguably Hall).

For mine, our backline and midfield need most attention. I suspect we'll go with form and trade for a ready made defender while using the draft for midfielders - but please pick mids with speed AND skills.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Fosdike is a totally bizarre one. Perhaps we may trade him, not that we will get much for him. I thought he would of got into the team once fit this year but just couldnt crack a go. Whether he has just not been good enough in reserves or what I dont know. We desperately need some quick midfielders that is for sure, but likewise we need seriously some new talent down back as well. A KPP is absolutely critical though imo.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I thought Crouch's form these last few games has been ok. Tough decision for coaches..still, thats why they get the bucks and I get typing strain!
    He's been ok. Just ok. due to age, he's probably going to be less ok next year.

IMO he's a list clogger if he stays. Judging Crouch (without knowing him personally), he seems the type who would have to be pushed out rather than retire.

Bevan, Jack, Nog, etc can do his role in the team.

Leo Barry. I'm 50/50 on him. Bolton will go to FB when Leo retires.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gossipcom View Post
    I think out of the youngsters, the main one I see being delisted (only because he can't crack into the seniors side on a regular basis) is Nick Smith.
    Smith is on the rookie list. He is a very skilled but still very skinny midfielder. He may or may not get another year. (My guess is that he probably will, and on the senior list.)

But I'm puzzled by the comment that he can't crack into the seniors side on a regular basis. Will you also be delisting all of Barlow, Fosdike, Schmidt, Brabazon (and O'Dwyer from the rookie list)?

I'll be real disappointed and very surprised if Smith is let go.

I have it from a source I believe is credible....Schmidt will not be on the list next year.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I have it from a source I believe is credible....Schmidt will not be on the list next year.
    @@@@, really? Trade bait, maybe? Wouldn't say no to a third rounder for him. South Australian boy, maybe Port or the Crows would be interested. I really hope he isn't delisted.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Schmidt is like a lot of our midfielders in that they tend to be solid, a bit slow and never going to dominate a match with great offence. Given his knee I have big doubts about his future.

We need to trade or somehow draft for a classy midfielder who can really lift the pace and kicking skills to hit leading forwards.

Jude Bolton,Kirk, Moore, Buchanan, Schmidt, Fosdike etc are all alike and we have their skills well covered. McVeigh is really the only player who may step up to be a long term classy midfielder.

Over the last two months in most games we have been smashed in the middle and really struggle to kick scores.

Veterans List
    Leo and Crouch the most likely to move on, and I suspect that they will (tho there are arguments both ways - just think the view will be that some tuff decisions need to be made).

If they do, it will be two of our bravest warriors gone - sad indeed...

On the Rookie List

scoreboard pressure

This is a word for "missing easy shots" and something we need to do to win.It's simple really.the team that kicks the most goals wins.We need to recruit a Milne, a Didack minus the attitude,a Steve Johnson or give Nick a go (unlikely).what we need is a natural forward who knows where the goals are and can slice the middle from the boundary.I believe we would have won all 3 games against the dogs this year if we had such a player in form.Watching the Irishman miss from right in front in a final is something that haunts me as a turning point in the game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast