Thread: Football question from 1963

Football question from 1963

Hope there are some historians on this forum.

In 1963, the grand final was 5th October. What happened during the year that pushed it out to October, rather than it being that one day in September?

Round 11 1963 was scheduled to begin on Friday 12th July, but heavy rain throughout the week and a torrent on Friday morning bogged most of the grounds and reduced the playing surface to a muddy pool. The VFL postponed all matches by a week, the knock on effect meaning the Grand Final was played on October 5 instead of September 28.

1963 also saw Skilton get his second Brownlow and S.A beat Victoria in Melbourne for the first time in 37 years, 12.8 80 to 10.13 73.
    10100111001 ;-)

Thank you so much, I have searched on the net everywhere to find out why to no avail. Mum and dad ended up getting married on that day, of course it wasn't initially planned out that way, and I wanted to find out the story why the match got pushed out.

Very much appreciated !!!!!

Seems I must have 5 posts before sending a pm, so Ruda Wakening don't think I'm being rude for not replying to your pm, I tried but it won't let me.

That link you sent me about the "other couple" who got married on 5 October 1963, well you've just given me a big belly laugh (in a good way), that's actually my blog you linked me up to

I'm scrapbooking our family history and thought I best get the real story, hence finding a football forum, signing up and asking the question.

So I really do appreciate the help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Seems I must have 5 posts before sending a pm, so Ruda Wakening don't think I'm being rude for not replying to your pm, I tried but it won't let me.
    Sorry about that Carol, too many spammers, so we had to introduce some limitations. Won't take you long to make 5 posts.