Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Nick Davis: Lost to the Code

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Or we would have won if we'd got Spida a year early?

It is fair to say that without Amon Buchanan we would not have won the Premiership. And the common feature for both games is that that we would not have won without Jason Ball's tap work. So Jason Ball contributed to the Premiership more than anyone else. I wonder if he's still at Mac Bank - or one of those who got the chop?
    I believe he was still about after the big broom swept through.

And not to get too overboard with the Davo love, but go to 4 minutes in- I count 4 Weagles defenders caring more about Nick Davis than they are about the ball or Amon.
    moofie
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Do you really think we have players that aren't up to AFL standard? Who?

And what concessions? For who?
    You think that Brett Kirk's kicking has always been up to an AFL level?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    You think that Brett Kirk's kicking has always been up to an AFL level?
    I reckon Brett Kirk has single handedly pulled the Swans across the line and won more games for us than Nick Davis has.

In fact, the legend is that Kirk pushed ND to his feats in that Cat's Semi.

I think a team of Brett Kirks would win more games than a team of Nick Davis's (it's be a tougher game anyway).

Blog Entries
    I'm not really asking that you clever bugger, I'm just asking if his kicking skills are up to an AFL level!

Do you really think we have players that aren't up to AFL standard? Who?

And what concessions? For who?
    I don't know if we've got anyone who isn't 'up to AFL standard' but we've got a lot of players who are deficient in areas and they don't have to spend months in the reserves working on those areas.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm not really asking that you clever bugger, I'm just asking if his kicking skills are up to an AFL level!
    Oh okay. Kirk has the ugliest kicking style I've seen - and that include LRT who looks awkward at everything. But his kicking is very effective - I've stopped watching him kick and started watching where it goes and he normally puts it in a good position for a team mate. I think his mind works a lot faster than his body. So yes, I think Kirk is not one you can say plays below AFL standard.

Incidentally, there was thread on "best captain" on BigFooty a while ago and Kirk was really highly rated by most followers of every team.

Oh okay. Kirk has the ugliest kicking style I've seen - and that include LRT who looks awkward at everything. But his kicking is very effective - I've stopped watching him kick and started watching where it goes and he normally puts it in a good position for a team mate. I think his mind works a lot faster than his body. So yes, I think Kirk is not one you can say plays below AFL standard.
    Agree with that - very awkward but normally finds the mark.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Incidentally, there was thread on "best captain" on BigFooty a while ago and Kirk was really highly rated by most followers of every team.
    So what - Whilst Kirk is a great team man - he is not an absolute star - some like Kirk, some aren't fussed (I'm the latter) He lost me with all his self righteous blood brothers ethos crap - which the so called "we stick together no matter what" theme was all a bit hollow. If truth be known Kirk has a box of affirmations on the bedside table (bought from some new age shop) he reads and memorises each week - but passes them off as his own. - so I'm ready for the abuse I'm about to cop for just writing what I really think - do I care? - nup not really !!!
    Last edited by Wardy; 29th December 2008 at 06:53 AM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    So what - Whilst Kirk is a great team man - he is not an absolute star - some like Kirk, some aren't fussed (I'm the latter) He lost me with all his self righteous blood brothers ethos crap - which the so called "we stick together no matter what" theme was all a bit hollow. If truth be known Kirk has a box of affirmations on the bedside table (bought from some new age shop) he reads and memorises each week - but passes them off as his own. - so I'm ready for the abuse I'm about to cop for just wirting what I really think - do I care? - nup not really !!!
    I'm with you Wardy but I'm sure we're in the minority.
    Bloods

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I'm with you Wardy but I'm sure we're in the minority.

Oh we are the minority thats for sure - but some people like that blood brothers ethos stuff and others like us dont. In the end its only footy its not life or death.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    So what - Whilst Kirk is a great team man - he is not an absolute star - some like Kirk, some aren't fussed (I'm the latter) He lost me with all his self righteous blood brothers ethos crap - which the so called "we stick together no matter what" theme was all a bit hollow. If truth be known Kirk has a box of affirmations on the bedside table (bought from some new age shop) he reads and memorises each week - but passes them off as his own. - so I'm ready for the abuse I'm about to cop for just wirting what I really think - do I care? - nup not really !!!
    Some players lift their team some flatten it. I reckon Buckley, Hird, Crawford and Kirk all lift(ed) theirs. And many say Spida lowers all his teams' morale - though I never saw it at the Swans. Barry Hall certainly lowered the team this year - as did Nick D in earlier years. Surely you've worked with someone who was good (even great) at their jobs but awful to have around?

Some players lift their team some flatten it. I reckon Buckley, Hird, Crawford and Kirk all lift(ed) theirs. And many say Spida lowers all his teams' morale - though I never saw it at the Swans. Barry Hall certainly lowered the team this year - as did Nick D in earlier years. Surely you've worked with someone who was good (even great) at their jobs but awful to have around?
    I work in major loss insurance claims - I only ever talk to people when something has gone catastrophically wrong ( but I do help out the odd smaller claimant at times -remember??? ) We get kicked constantly because we cant keep the promises made by Brokers who havent any grasp of insurance law or the trade practices act. So naturally the only thing that keeps our section going is a pretty sick sense of humour and major sarcasm.

Barry Hall would have been made a saint if he had of hit Hunter instead of Staker - you know it, I know it the whole footy world knows it!! But he got old glass jaw, his own team mates hung him out to dry and Kirk was one of them! Again that is a different topic - different thread.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast