Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fosdike retires - confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Sad as he has been a great servant of the club. Pretty ordinary doing it only a few weeks after the lists were finalised though.
    Little doubt from the way things have unfolded that he would have preferred to go on. The club has very clearly told him though, 'we will chop you at the end of 2009', and he was never going to make it back in '09. I'd be quite sure that the delay has been the club coming to some financial arrangement with him re: his salary for this year.

2 players down on a list that is already shorter than it should be, just a week and half into the new year: 2009 has started pretty disastrously. We'd better hope it picks up from here.

And thanks to Nic for a fine career in the red & white.

Regular in the Side
    Would think that someone like Kristin Thornton or Brendan Murphy would find themselves elevated to the Senior List IF they show some good pre-season or early season form...or even Mike Pyke...or Kyle Coney...oh wait....maybe NOT !!!!
    Red and white till I die

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Always hate to see a player's career ended abruptly by injury especially one who's been a solid contributor for the red and white. Thanks Fossie, you were an valued member of our 2005 premiership side and wish you all the best in your life after footy.

Regular in the Side
    Thanks to Nic and all the best for the future.

Our list is now a big concern..Obvisously injuries cant be helped and it is something the AFL need to look at when it comes to salary cap issues.
    If a player is forced to retire early due to injury there needs to be a mechanism in place for salary cap leniency, with rules in place that player cnnot play at nother club for at least 12 months to avoid rorting.

But we are 2 players down on the list now. Are we able to sign any new players that may not have been picked up in any of the drafts or is it too late?

"Sniff".

Bye Fossie.

"Sniff".
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Sad as he has been a great servant of the club. Pretty ordinary doing it only a few weeks after the lists were finalised though.
    Had to be after list finalisations, otherwise any deal done would have been included in last years cap resulting in large fines for the club.

This way they can negotiate a settlement and include it in this years cap.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGoodes View Post
    Apparently if he had announced it earlier the money the pay out he will receive for the last year of his contract (2009) would have been counted as 2008 salary and sent us over the salary cap. This seems unfair to me but thats the way the rules are. This way any pay out he has negotiated will be counted a little differently
    Not unfair rules, it stops clubs back ending contracts for players who they suspect will never play the last year and then just include that amount the year after like some sort hand out on retirement.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGoodes View Post
    Would think that someone like Kristin Thornton or Brendan Murphy would find themselves elevated to the Senior List IF they show some good pre-season or early season form...or even Mike Pyke...or Kyle Coney...oh wait....maybe NOT !!!!
    Are Sydney permitted to promote a rookie to the senior list? Does anyone know the official rules? Fosdike has now retired, and he is not a permanently injuried player as such.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Are Sydney permitted to promote a rookie to the senior list? Does anyone know the official rules? Fosdike has now retired, and he is not a permanently injuried player as such.
    I think that if a player retires for medical reasons, he nominally goes onto the LTI for the year. So yes, a rookie can be elevated in his place.

If a player just retires mid-season for the sake of it without a medical condition that prevents him playing, the club can't elevate a rookie instead. No doubt this is to stop clubs pushing out players mid-season on a whim so they can play a younger rookie, as some club (the Saints?) tried to do a couple of seasons back.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Aww this sucks but not unexpected.

Fossie always a favourite of mine. Could run all day. I remember his comeback game against Richmond in 05 where we lost by a point. Came into the game with alot of pressure on him to perform. He was brilliant that day and the form carried all the way to the last week of September where i will always regard him as our Norm Smith Medalist.

Good luck in retirement Fossie. Great servant of the mighty Sydney Swans.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good luck Fossie. Thanks for being such a big contributor to THE BEST FOOTY memories I have.

Well done, Fossie and thanks. You were absolutely everywhere in the grand final game.

With Shaw and Jack board, it was always going to be tough for him to make the side in 09. Disappointing to see him go out this way but it doesn't leave a huge gap.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast