Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swans Team under Zoning not Draft

Veteran Site Admin
    It's a pretty ordinary team really. Aside from the ruck issues, almost all the top end quality in the current side is lost - Hall, O'Loughlin, Kirk, Goodes, O'Keefe, Malceski, Barry (notwithstanding the fact that several of those players are close to the end). The only players of comparable quality introduced into the team are Hayes and McVeigh. And maybe Mooney on his very good days.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's a pretty ordinary team really.
    And very much like the teams we did have from the zone.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by LRTs LoveChild View Post
    I'll deadset gouge my eyes out with a cue-tip before I see Milne run out in the Red and White!
    ditto

Mind you they have already gone due to a Shaw being in the red and white.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's a pretty ordinary team really. Aside from the ruck issues, almost all the top end quality in the current side is lost - Hall, O'Loughlin, Kirk, Goodes, O'Keefe, Malceski, Barry (notwithstanding the fact that several of those players are close to the end). The only players of comparable quality introduced into the team are Hayes and McVeigh. And maybe Mooney on his very good days.
    Compare it with many of the other 'zone' sides that have been produced by the AFL in this interesting exercise, and it would regularly get towelled up and, even if well-coached and fortunate with injury, have only a slight chance of making the finals.

Just a product of:
    a) where we are
    b) the fact that the best of NSW's talent (e.g. Leo Barry, Shane Crawford) had already been allocated to Victorian clubs other than the Swans (contra the Blions side re Qld players), and
    c) what appears likely to have been a relatively ungenerous zone for South Melbourne.

On the plus side, we would have to have the highest number of current players listed in our zone side, out of all of the sides in this exercise. So maybe I should stop being so critical about the Swans' nurturing of NSW talent... for the next 5 minutes.

Because their representation at AFL level is too small relative to their (footy-playing) population, all 4 of the WA/SA sides should be very strong under a zone system. The Blions side is also extremely strong, which was somewhat contrary to my expectations, seemingly largely as a result of:
    a) some isolated superstars who have hailed from Qld (e.g. Riewoldt), and
    b) the fact that they get to 'keep' NT players like Jared Brennan.

It's pretty much status quo for the Vic clubs: a huge amount of talent produced, but sliced too thinly across too many clubs. There would still be some champion teams (Essendon especially) and dire ones (Richmond and Melbourne), with Geelong really struggling despite keeping Bartel and Ablett.

Oh, and they screwed up in trying to implement their rule that "All players selected under the father-son rule would still go to their dad?s original club, including [those who have since left that club]". (It's under this rule that the Blions could lay claim to Jono Brown.) Sean Dempster is named in the Bulldogs side. And he would easily make the Swans' named 22. Although I suspect not if Roos was picking the team.
    Last edited by SimonH; 11th January 2009 at 11:22 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Oh, and they screwed up in trying to implement their rule that "All players selected under the father-son rule would still go to their dad?s original club, including [those who have since left that club]". (It's under this rule that the Blions could lay claim to Jono Brown.) Sean Dempster is named in the Bulldogs side. And he would easily make the Swans' named 22. Although I suspect not if Roos was picking the team.
    Maybe the Swans team could claim back Doyle under this rule. At least he's a ruckman!

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    The upside is that we get LRT and the Bevanator either way.
    Bevan I'll give you, LRT is like selley's no more caps Its alright because it saved you but you would rather not had to use in the first place.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Coach: James Hird ?
    Or Wayne Carey!

Staker at full-back: fail.

Though at least we're not the only team that would struggle for tall forwards with the zoning, check out the Bulldogs' forward line!

HF: Ryan Murphy, Robert Murphy, Jason Winderlich
    F: Robert Eddy, Brad Johnson, Dean Polo
    LRTs Love Child and Satchmo: I think I would gouge my eyes out at the sight of Kirk wearing a North Melbourne jumper! *shudders*
    Last edited by Xie Shan; 11th January 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12