Thread: All Ireland Tadgh?

bloodstainedangels Emerald Hill's Avatar

All Ireland Tadgh?

Re: Tadgh going home to win an All Ireland Championship with Kerry.

While I understand and admire his desire to emulate his late father, I've been amused by the reports that make it sound that all Tadgh has to do is turn up and an Irish championship is his!
    Can someone who knows a bit about Gaelic footy let me know if it's as cut and dried as that? Are there any other teams in it? Or is it like Rangers and Celtic in the Scottish soccer - one or two teams totally dominate year after year and Tadgh's hopping on a sure thing.
    "Notwithstanding the sight of all our miseries, which press upon us and take us by the throat, we have an instinct which we cannot repress, and which lifts us up." - Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Hill View Post
    Re: Tadhg going home to win an All Ireland Championship with Kerry.

While I understand and admire his desire to emulate his late father, I've been amused by the reports that make it sound that all Tadhg has to do is turn up and an Irish championship is his!
    Can someone who knows a bit about Gaelic footy let me know if it's as cut and dried as that? Are there any other teams in it? Or is it like Rangers and Celtic in the Scottish soccer - one or two teams totally dominate year after year and Tadhg's hopping on a sure thing.
    Not an expert Hilly but Tyrone won the Championship last year by beating Kerry with a very physical, hard running football which put pressure on opponents all over the ground. There was really only one kick in it. Tyrone have a brilliant forward Cavanaugh. Does this sound familiar? Kennelly was an outsounding GAA footballer as a junior and played in the under 21 Kerry championship team as a 17 year old. In Kerry there are mixed views that range from the Messiah has arrived to scepticism. Somewhat amusingly some of the Kerry faithful don't believe Kennelly will physically stand up to the rigors of an All Ireland. Kennelly played in the international series without really starring so maybe he won't win them a championship. However, there is no doubt Kerry recruited him to negate Cavanaugh and to be the x factor in this year's series. If Kerry play Tyrone in a repeat of last years final they also will have a Swan that's flown the coop, a brilliant young athlete called Coney playing. So those generous souls that get misty eyed about Irishman returning to the emerald isle can choose which team to follow. But really Kerry's next door neighbours Cork is the team. Tough mob, players go on strike regularly, (they have taken player empowerment to a new level), play in the red and white and never give up. Last season Cork drew with Kerry in the Semi final and were tragically beaten by the shafters in the replay. Go Cork
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Thanks for the detailed reply,conno! (May I call you that?)

So, the competition is dominated by three clubs -Kerry which has Tadgh, Tyrone which has Coney and Cork which plays in the red and white? We Swans fans can claim some sort of victory whichever of the 3 wins!

Why are you a Cork fan? Is it the colours or is it more than that?
    "Notwithstanding the sight of all our miseries, which press upon us and take us by the throat, we have an instinct which we cannot repress, and which lifts us up." - Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Hill View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply,conno! (May I call you that?)

So, the competition is dominated by three clubs -Kerry which has Tadhg, Tyrone which has Coney and Cork which plays in the red and white? We Swans fans can claim some sort of victory whichever of the 3 wins!

Why are you a Cork fan? Is it the colours or is it more than that?
    Mate compared to some of things i've been called on this site feel free to call me anything you like. i had a very dear friend from Cork who has sadly passed away now but got interested through her fanatacism.
    This will give you the flavour of the feeling between Cork and the shafters. Who as you can see are very devious on the pitch as well as off it and cheat in semi finals.

YouTube - Cheating in Gaelic Football - Kerry V Cork (2008)

GAA football really is a great game and i hope one day to go to Croke Park and see an All Ireland final. Even better if the red and whites from Cork are playing! (Not the rats from Tyrone who also play in red and white)
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Sorry mate that didn't work. But Kerry's Aiden O'Mahoney in last years semi singlehandledly destroyed irish manhood and revealed Kerry for the shafters they are. Hope this works. The commentary on this clip is superb. Cheers

YouTube - Aidan O'Mahony dive
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Mate compared to some of things i've been called on this site feel free to call me anything you like. i had a very dear friend from Cork who has sadly passed away now but got interested through her fanatacism.
    This will give you the flavour of the feeling between Cork and the shafters. Who as you can see are very devious on the pitch as well as off it and cheat in semi finals.

YouTube - Cheating in Gaelic Football - Kerry V Cork (2008)

GAA football really is a great game and i hope one day to go to Croke Park and see an All Ireland final. Even better if the red and whites from Cork are playing! (Not the rats from Tyrone who also play in red and white)
    I watched the clip and I can understand your anger!

I thought that the decision against Leaping Leo in the last quarter of the 2005 Qualifying Final against the Eagles was the worst example of an umpire being "sucked in" that I've ever seen but that Cork/Kerry incident is a serious contender!

O yes and Mr. O'Mahony had a little medicinal problem in the 2008 finals. Might have caused his collapse? Kennelly is going to a right bunch of shafters.

http://www.kerryman.ie/sport/gaelic-...d-1617155.html
    Bevo bandwagon driver