Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations from NSO game (warning - very very long)

Veteran Site Admin

Observations from NSO game (warning - very very long)

Not really a match report per se (I find it difficult to get a perspective on the game when I'm at ground level - normally watch at an elevation). But here are some observations on players:

BBBH

Should have had 6 goals by quarter time. Not sure if he actually had an opponent - if he did it must have been Sheedy providing another of his kids a baptism by fire. Was presenting himself well and marking strongly. Kicking for goal less good. Didn't play after half time.

McVeigh

Played after half time and did diddly squat. Looked a bit overawed by it all. Looks very skinny.

Mathews

Solid without really doing anything of note.

O'Keefe

Came on towards the end of the second quarter and played for most of the rest of the game. Took a while to get into things but lifted intensity in second half. OK without being special.

C Bolton

OK - nothing special. Took a couple of nice defensive marks.

Cresswell

Played the first half. Played like he normally does - got a decent amount of the ball, wasted some but set up a fair amount of play, especially early on. Didn't play after half time.

Fixter

Came on after half time. Threw himself into the action straight away. Was hard at the ball without being brilliant.

Williams

Took a little while to work his way into the game but was excellent from midway through the first quarter to near to the end of the second (which was when the whole team was dominant). Signs that we can reasonably expect another year from Willo like the last. Didn't play after half time.

Maxfield

Came out firing from the start and was pretty effective. Scored a very nice goal, atypical of most of his. Looks pretty fit and strong. Don't think the captaincy will "weigh him down" based on this brief siting. Didn't play after half time.

Fozzie

Played for most of first 3 quarters. Busy, mostly out on the wing. Used the ball decently for the most part. Good without being great.

McPherson

Came on after half time. Looked to be a player with a point to prove. Did some very nice things, including snaring a somewhat flukey long goal that bounced past several players in the goal square. Was one of the reasons the Swans held on for victory.

Stevens

Marked very very well. And in the third quarter when he was the main target up forward (with Hall off) presented himself very well. Kicking for goal was ordinary. Not sure how many behinds he kicked - at least 3, I reckon, probably more and most were gettable. Less impressed with his chasing off the ball.

Kennelly

Started very well. Was heavily involved in setting up the first two kicks on goal - which unfortunately were misses, but that wasn't his fault. Faded after that, although he did hit Bazza on the chest a couple more times. Would like to have seem him do more.

Ablett

Only played after half time. Should have taken a leaf out of Frosty's book. Didn't look to be putting his hand up for a spot in next week's team. A couple of nice things but nowhere near enough.

Nicks

Good without being great. Started in defence but then moved forward in second quarter. Didn't play after half time (I think).

Bolton

Pretty good actually. Didn't dominate but was definitely one of the Swans better players. Kicked a few beautiful long, well directed kicks into the forward line. One looked like a pass forward but went through for a goal. Involved in a lot of play, was physical at man and ball but looked to have more purpose about it than most of last season. Good at diving into packs but all in actually getting the ball out to a team mate.

Schauble

Played on Lloyd for part of the game and was caught behind a few times. Probably just shaded down back but didn't disgrace himself.

Dempster

I think he just played the final quarter - he certainly wasn't on before half time. Didn't see much of the ball but took one nice mark about 40m out from goal and kicked the possibly the straightest roost on goal I've ever seen.

Powell

V interesting to see Powell out there. Got the most game time of the yet-to-debut players by far. Started the game as the second defender, alongside Schauble. Still looks like a stick. Made a couple of blues (one of which resulted directly in an Essendon goal) but was very very impressed with his attitude. Never let his head drop and kept on with his job. Took a couple of excellent overhead marks under some pressure and almost took a beauty in the third quarter. Recovered from not quite holding on to it to make sure the ball was wrapped up. His build means I wonder whether he'll ever make it but certainly today's effort was enough to give us some hope.

Kirk

Came on midway through the second quarter and took some time to get involved. Worked his way into the game well in the third quarter. Some of his disposals were very good, especially by hand. Pretty creative at times. Was one of the few senior players to play in the final quarter and his experience and class showed compared to the rookies he was playing along side. A major reason why the Swans just managed to hold on.

Warfe

Didn't seem to get much game time - or at least I didn't notice him much. Was on at the death and it may have been him who kicked the goal that got the Swans back in front near the end. Couldn't see very well because it was over the other side of the ground. If it was him it was the straightest kick I've ever seen him do!

Schneider

On at the start but struggled a bit. Got a bit of the ball early on but didn't use it very well. Kept on trying but this performance was nothing to get too excited about.

Goodes

One of Sydney's best. Held his own in the ruck, as he usually does. Occasionally wasteful with disposals but was involved in a lot of the play for first 3 quarters. Seems confident. Pretty vocal out there on the ground.

Thewlis

Played for most (maybe all) of the second half and was pretty impressive. Certainly didn't dominate but did some nice things. Looks a strong mark, kicked a beautiful goal from the boundary and effected a fantastic spoil right in front of where I was standing. It may have been him rather than Warfe that kicked the goal to get the boys back in front (similar hair!!). Tallish, strongly built and moves well. Seems confident. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him debut this year.

McGlone

Played second half. Still very slight. Didn't seem to do much.

Malceski

Played second half. In opening minutes of 3rd quarter made a very nice interception straight in front of goal but missed his shot badly. Still, worked hard for rest of game and got a bit of the ball.

Meiklejohn

ALong with Thewlis was probably the most impressive of the new kids. Is a decent build already and took over from Goodes in the ruck at the end of each quarter, plus played the whole of the final quarter in the ruck. Provided a decent contest at centre bounces. Worked hard to get to contests around the ground. Certainly didn't dominate but nor was he obviously outplayed. Still has a way to go if he is going to become an AFL player BUT if worst comes to worst and we lose Ball and Doyle for long parts of the season and need another body to provide Goodes with some help (ala Brockman last year) he could probably do the job.

Bevan

Saw him running around the ground in the final quarter but didn't see him get the ball more than a couple of times.

Roos

Pretty impressed on two counts. Firstly, for 3 quarters the Swans were the better team out there, despite looking much much smaller than the Bombers. Even allowing for the fact we were missing Saddo, Doyle and Ball, the Swans look like a pretty skinny team. But he had them backing themselves and playing attacking, mostly direct football. Skillwise they were easily a match for the Bombers except in their kicking for goal. They were also the more aggressive, focussed team for most of the game.

Secondly, in the final quarter it looked like we were going to get overrun, which would have been an injustice given we were the better team for 3 quarters by a sizeable degree. But what most of the crowd (who were getting pissed off) didn't get was that our 15 players out there for the whole of that quarter included Thewlis, Meiklejohn, McGlone, Dempster, McVeigh, Bevan, Ablett, Schneider, Malceski, with only Frosty, O'Keefe, Kirk and Warfe providing real senior experience. (Can't remember if Fixter was out there as well, but don't think so). Most of the really senior players were back in the dressing room by then, but he had Fozzie, Bolton (x2), Goodes, Tiger and a few others all sitting on the bench. But he didn't bring them on. He let the kids keep going, and gave them a chance to see what they could do. And I'm not exactly sure where they found it from, but in the last 5 minutes they dug deep and found enough not only to stem the Essendon flow, but to kick two goals themselves. They should be pretty pleased with their collective efforts at the death there.

Overall, some pleasing things to come out of the afternoon, even though it is only an early season practice game. Certainly we don't seem destined to prop up the wrong end of the ladder if that performance is anything to go by.

So in short Lizz none of the younger guys did enough to impress that they are ready to step up with the exception of Scott Stevens and Thewliss and Meiklejohn, other than that it was the same players as last year?

Anyone in particular who looks ready to step up?

Our physically light side will cost us this year.

Veteran Site Admin
    Reggi

Just as I won't get too excited about beating Essendon this early on, nor would I write anyone off too soon.

Also worth remembering that NSO is a tiny ground, so small that they played 15 a side. That means that its pretty hard to find space at times, and wingmen like Fozzie and Kennelly were always going to find it hard to strut their stuff.

There was light rain falling for most of the game - never heavy but enough to make the ball greasy. Also made it harder, I guess, though the skills were surprisingly good in those conditions, so early in the year.

Given the injury situation (assuming there's not many to come back in for next week) I'd expect Thewlis and Meiklejohn to get a chance next week. Ablett probably will too, though based on this afternoon's effort I'd rather see Schneider get a go. And if Saddo isn't ready they may have to play Powell.

Other than the real rookies, the players I was most impressed with were Bolton (J) and Stevens, though Stevens does need to work harder off the ball.

Draft Scout
    Given the overall wrap up we did well to win. Thanks for the news though Lizz! Kicking skills will improve without a tree on the ground.

Thanks Lizz.

Hopefully Eade's absence will mean Bolton can get back to some of his best form of 2000- 2001 though he was also looking good this time last year.

I gather Stevens has put on some weight but not a lot.

I think Roos would be wise to give Schneider and Ablett a go. Both of those guys need to make their mark.

McVeigh should be put in the reserves until 2004 IMHO. Given Sydney is a quick side we will probably be better suited to the larger grounds.

Thewlis sounds promising.

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    I honestly didn't think J Bolton had done that much during the match, but then saw he'd kicked a couple and was more invovled than i had seen from my 2 vantage points. I did see some things of his early on that I liked, but thought he'd faded, but obviously he'd just moved from where i could see him!

V. Impressed with Meiklejohn - James will have tough competition to get that senior spot if this guy can produce like this on a regular basis.

Stevens and Hall could make a mean forward combination - if they both play the way they did today, or better, some teams with weaker backlines will be exposed.

In general, I liked seeing one or two fly in a pack and 2 or 3 hang around the bottom waiting for the crumbs or to spread out and create options. Also liked seeing similar play in a pack on the ground - something we have lacked for a while. Also lots of communication, both on and off the path of play - no-one out there was silent.

I saw more of a team out there than I have at this time in previous seasons - if they build on this in a positive way, i'm happy

and aside from that, WE WON!!!!!!!!

Sheedy has bagged his senior players for being ordinary, but seemed of the opinion that Sydney played very very well.

Apparently Cupido was firing

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by swansrock4eva

V. Impressed with Meiklejohn - James will have tough competition to get that senior spot if this guy can produce like this on a regular basis.

Don't think that Meiklejohn and James are really in competition though. If James can get his body good he will get a chance - he's that good and we need his height and ability in defence.

Good though Meiklejohn was, realistically he will only get a chance if we are desparate for a ruckman - and that will be because one (or hopefully not) both of Doyle and Ball are long term injuries. Then he can be promoted to replace one of these.

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    They aren't in direct competition for the one spot we have, but if Ball still doesn't get right, we NEED the extra ruck option and Meiklejohn could be it. On the other hand if Schaubs has problems with FB, then James may get the spot by default - their fate seems to rest on the ill-fortunes of some of their teammates (poor buggers!)

Has Heath had a knee reconstruction.

That being the case he is no chance of playing before August.

Scotty Stevens is a great mark but FAAAAAARRRRRK will somebody teach him to kick straight!!!!

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Reggi
    Has Heath had a knee reconstruction.

That being the case he is no chance of playing before August.
    James ruptured his patella tendon, as I understand. So he hasn't had the full knee reco. Originally they said he wouldn't be ready to play until June, though recently I read that he has progressed far quicker than expected. That said, if he plays senior footy it won't be before the second half of the season, and I doubt there's pressure on him to get a senior chance. The club is probably just looking to give him a chance to get his body right and show that he can still play.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast