Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Observations from NSO game (warning - very very long)

Senior Player
    a few things i got out of the game:

-first of all i think Thewliss is a gun, what number did we pick him up at again? a much better no. 38 than last year (i know different positions but he will be a lot more effective) he looked physically mature and what a shot on goal! im 99% sure that was him just before the end of the game. he, imo, looks like he could get quite a bit of game time this year...

-warfe is useless, he shoulda been delisted last season or traded... with saddo to come back and james in the wings with powell as a long term prospect and c bolton as a new import i dont think warfe will be needed... i was SO disappointed with his effort when there was a heap of hard work across half back and he got the outlet handball, took a run up the middle and kicked it straight to an essendon player! how very typical... it was the worst kick of the game by a swans player and he had noone around him!!!

-j bolton really impressed me, he did all his good work right in front of me, his kicking skills have improved 20 fold as with his decision making, he convinced me that he was going for goal when he kicked that long one. j bolton will be a good player this year!

Senior Player
    What I *really* want to know is.....

Who were the two loonies who downed the togs and did the dash sans apparel after the game??
    penga, Steve, SS come guys own up.

Got any photos of THAT one Lizz.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by floppinab
    What I *really* want to know is.....

Who were the two loonies who downed the togs and did the dash sans apparel after the game??
    penga, Steve, SS come guys own up.

Got any photos of THAT one Lizz.
    i missed that

Originally posted by penga
    a few things i got out of the game:

-first of all i think Thewliss is a gun, what number did we pick him up at again? a much better no. 38 than last year (i know different positions but he will be a lot more effective) he looked physically mature and what a shot on goal! im 99% sure that was him just before the end of the game. he, imo, looks like he could get quite a bit of game time this year...

-j bolton really impressed me, he did all his good work right in front of me, his kicking skills have improved 20 fold as with his decision making, he convinced me that he was going for goal when he kicked that long one. j bolton will be a good player this year!
    This would be a huge boost for us if our much younger players stood up this year. I think if Bolton became a good player this year, it would be a major plus. Wouldn't it be nice to see him finally gain some maturity on field this year.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Look from what I've heard I'm happy to see Stevens, Bolton and Menklejohn perform. These 3 players could be very important for us in the years to come. Thewlis seems a good player as does Powell if we can get a few rookies to push though during the year we are well placed for the future, just have to improve our fitness and find the right FB.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Thanks for all the comments guys. This the first NSO match I've missed

The AFL website has Thewlis goaling with his first kick so I'd say it was him rather than Warfe.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=new...rticleid=73643

Sounds like Stevens had quite a fews shots for his 4 goals.

Roos says he was pleased with Schauble even though Lloyd got past him a few times. Our backline was also missing Saddo and Leo.

So, what this word on injuries? I didn't realise these two were out.

Ball is still coming back from last years injury I assume?

Davis is recovering from a post season op...?

Whats up with Micky O?
    Last edited by Rizzo; 18th February 2003 at 11:35 AM.

Well yesterday was peace protest day. I went to NSO and sat peacefully for most of the time and protested most umpire decisions against the Swans. Did my bit.

It's interesting how people see the game differently depending where they sit and what they are looking for. I sat in the O'Reilly Stand at about half way. My only disappointments yesterday were that I forgot to take the digital camera and a pen for recording scores. I concentrated on the younger guys. With senior players, the game wasn't going to tell you much.

I agree with what most have said and I was very impressed with Meiklejohn, Thewlis, Powell, Dempster, Malceski and C. Bolton. Congratulations to the Swan's Recruiting Dept. Powell was excellent in defence. Someone should put him on the Dean Rioli diet immediately. Wasn't he huge. Sheedy has praised Bolton's effort in today's paper. J. Bolton has beefed up and had a good game. I'm not a fan of his so it's an unbiased comment. Alhough I still think he's better than Mark McVeigh.

I'll mention a few things not covered by others. I didn't see Cressa get involved at all whereas Stewie was very hard at the ball. He really pushed the knee hard and seems to be recovered.

McVeigh didn't get much of a chance but he did cop a bit from the bomber players, probably a welcome to senior level. Very athletic though. Star in future.

Game consisted of two 30 min qtrs and then two 20 min qtrs. The last qtr went for about 30 mins though when the scoring was goal for goal.

No major injuries on either side.

Lloyd played full game. Hird and Fletcher played first 3 qtrs. Fletcher kicked some really long kick outs. One must have gone for about 70 metres!! Jobe Watson is a mirror image of his father. From a distance, looks and runs the same way. Will be future star.

Although Malceski is thinner than Thewlis. He took a contested mark on full time and then cooly slotted a goal from about 50. A few minutes later, he held back the full back to allow the ball to bounce through for a gaol. So although he's thin, he seems to be strong.

Sausage sandwiches were $4.00. Coke $2.70. Big time rip off. Fox Footy no where to be seen, so don't expect any replays. I was hoping they would be there after last year but obviously last year's game was a trial run for the season.

Best performance in NSO game in 3 years. Should be an exciting year.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

On the Rookie List
    Last edited by SWANSBEST; 17th February 2003 at 11:06 AM.
    WMP

On the Rookie List
    WMP

Senior Player
    Just a few interesting notes I would like to make. Just on what people have said here as I was not at the game.

I cannot see many negatives here, but I will list the positives below.

- The new draftees and 2002 draftees. Very encouraging, especially the 2003 draftree. Malceski, Thewlis, and Dempster all seemed to have some sort of an impact, and from reports we might see one or two of these involved in a lot of senior action this season.
    Powell is very encouraging, if he can beef up a bit, he sounds like he can be another Saddington type, perhaps more solid though. Very encouraging indeed.

- From all reports the skills were pretty solid, and in the rain that is an amazing performance from the Swans, when you consider we couldn't even put it together in the dry most of the time last season.

- When challenge in the last quarter, we rose to the challenge and ran out winners, how many times did this happen last year? we normally give up!

I might add more later.

When challenge in the last quarter, we rose to the challenge and ran out winners, how many times did this happen last year? we normally give up!
    Further evidence that the fadeout problem was an Eade afffliction. 11 games now for Roos, and the only close one we've gone down in was vs. Port. And that one was against one of the top 2 teams in the AFL. We've held out against St Kilda and now Essendon, and finished off Richmond and the Kangaroos when they looked capable of overtaking us.

Charlie

Interesting comment from Sheeeeeds -

"To us this is the best practice match in the AFL. It gets bigger and better every year, and it is the envy of all the other clubs. Trying to take this match off us would be like trying to take Anzac Day off Collingwood," Sheedy said

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...927849556.html

I must admit, I love the atmosphere, the hill, the old stands and picket fence. Shame about the pricing for food and drinks. I don't remember it being that bad last time!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast