Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paul Bevan - 100 games

Blog Entries
    I realise one of those was from ROK, I was responding to him.

The problem with Bevo is he does good things, and some bad/dumb things (kicking straight to a hawk on the wing in the 2nd Q), but your blind adoration seems to tarnish your views.
    It was a blatant over the shoulder/holding by Bevan. End of Story.

Hall copped some bad decisions, He probably got away with some too. It happens.

The problem with the umps is they are on the ground watching from the inside lookng out, we are on the outside looking in, and a lot of what we see, the umps can't because they caen't see through the players.

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Bevo was on the goalside of Williams which is wher he should have been, the heavy ball dropped and drifted to the left side of Williams.
    The problem was that Bevan positioned himself behind and to the side of Williams and prepared himself for the huge leap and punch over the top. Franklin's long bomb could be read (as Williams did better) and Bevan should have been up against Williams bodying him out of position, with a fist out in front. Watch a good defensive player against a shorter and smaller player, and that's what they will do. No need to try to leap over the top.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Bit hard to spoil when you are on the wrong side of the fall of the ball. Maybe it should of been a technocal free to Bevo, for not being allowed to spoil effectively.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Siriusly.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fair go one of those comments is from ROK! I know we are as one on most things but he can answer for himself. Bevo was on the goalside of Williams which is wher he should have been, the heavy ball dropped and drifted to the left side of Williams. It happens. Umpiring decisions are interpretations. Some interpretations are very technical applications of the rule and some not. Clarkson has said that he wants his defenders in particular to push the boundaries of the rules and if they give away frees he accepts that. Obviously not a criteria that everyone uses. If Bevo was wearing yellow and brown and his opponent was Big Beamish it probably would not have been a free.
    From memory it was a pretty clear free kick, I honestly don't think it was just a line ball decision. Williams is a very good player, no shame in being outsmarted by him in a contest- frustrating for it to happen straight in front of goals, but no real shame in it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    The problem was that Bevan positioned himself behind and to the side of Williams and prepared himself for the huge leap and punch over the top. .
    He was goalside where he should have been. The kick died and faded on him. Which is what should now happen to this thread.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He was goalside where he should have been. The kick died and faded on him. Which is what should now happen to this thread.
    Should a defender always be goal side in a one on one marking contest?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

But you're the one doing most of the posting.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Should a defender always be goal side in a one on one marking contest?
    A defender minding a small forward should be. i'm not sure the bomb was aimed at Williams, who probably was taking a crumbing position. In which case Bevo was on the right side of him. As i said before the heavy ball dropped and faded. Bevo along with a couple of others was expecting the kick to be straighter and a bit longer. Given that it was kicked by Buddy it could and did go anywhere.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

actually i think that is wrong. i just reckon williams read it better in the air. if you watch it bevan was separated by about three-four metres when the ball was kicked and by the time he went to body williams he was running into a brick wall.

it does raise a question in my mind which i raised earlier. at the beginning of the game teddy was playying on williams - where was teddy and who was he playing on ?

The problem was he was too far away and hence the attempted run and jump which was the mistake, rather than creating body contact.

A defender minding a small forward should be. i'm not sure the bomb was aimed at Williams, who probably was taking a crumbing position.
    Trouble with that theory is they were 1 out with each other in the goalsquare and not another player within 20 metres.

Unless he was just going to let Bevan spill an uncontested mark and crumb that......

Uh oh, now I'm sounding like the rest of the inmates here
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Trouble with that theory is they were 1 out with each other in the goalsquare and not another player within 20 metres.

Unless he was just going to let Bevan spill an uncontested mark and crumb that......

Uh oh, now I'm sounding like the rest of the inmates here
    See what the facts will do to you!!
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast