Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm out of patience

I'm out of patience

OK, I'm not the type to swing the axe after every disappointing loss. I often come to the defence of players who frequently get a bagging on this site. But I've finally run out of patience with a few players, namely Buchanan, Malceski and Moore. I'm not saying they're duds, I'm not saying we should delist them, but they definitely need a run in the reserves sooner rather than later. They're in very poor form, and Roos, quite rightly, has tried to let them run themselves back into form. It's becoming clear that this approach isn't working. At times they've all threatened to right themselves, but it's not quite happening.

Drop them, and let them fight for their place again. With Vespa back and apparently in good touch, Smith and Laidlaw beating down the doors in the reserves, and DOK finally starting to put some games, and hence form, together, we've got a few guys ready to come in. Bringing them all in at the same time would probably destabilise the team too much, but in my mind Moore and Melch need to be made to earn their place again. And I don't mean one 40 possession game in the reserves. I mean consecutive games in which they show they can address the current problems with their game. Buchy can have a reprieve for a week, so the team isn't too rocked, and he has been in the best form of the three lately, but he'll NEED to perform against the Pies to retain his place.

This isn't a "DROP EVERYBODY AND PLAY THE KIDS!!!!" thread. I hate those. If we had a 30 year old playing ressies and tearing it up (as you'd expect him to with that amount of experience), I'd want him in. This is just a recognition that the coaching staff have tried to let these players run themselves into form, and it hasn't worked, so a new approach needs to be tried. I have no problem with the way Roos has handled the situation so far, these players should be given every chance, but it's time to change the approach, as it just isn't working.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

I normally think Buchanan is worthy of a spot in the side, but he made a few bad mistakes here. Moore and Malceski were barely sighted, though the latter had a couple of skilful little touches that stuck in my mind.

Veteran Site Admin
    The problem with Malceski is that he's just finding he doesn't have enough time or space. Send him back to the reserves and he'll get 40 touchs and kick a bag of goals. He'll do it for however many weeks he's sent there and look several classes above anyone else in the reserves team. But I doubt it will help him address what needs to be addressed to contribute at senior level.

I have the utmost faith that he'll recapture his form at some stage, though it might not be this season. I reckon the decision on his is less whether he needs to "find form" and more whether anyone else can come in an do a better job, or whether someone with a future at the club can come in and do a similar job but then get senior experience into the bargain.

It might also be worth sending him down to the half-back flank, which is, after all, where he's played his best footy. Risk is that the team is more exposed down there, but at the same time he should have more time and space to be creative, which is what he brought to the team at his best.

Yes, agree with you on Buchanan. Just not the player he was a few years ago and really needs some time out to find his mojo.

For me the other one that has rarely impressed me is Grundy and again today there we some terrible clangers from him. In his case, I don't believe he has any mojo to find ... I think this is his level and just occasionally he plays above it, which is not enough for me.

I've always been a fan of Moore and think he is still a work in progress (remember how long it took McVeigh). That's not to say a stint in the reserves wouldn't help. But I definitely see he as part of the Swans future core.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Sadly, I agree on Reg - Veszpremi should replace him.
    And much as I am grateful for what Buchanan has done, he is not doing what he used to do. If the final quarter of the 2005 GF is a tough ask, I'd settle for the first three quarters, but that's not what we're getting.
    Moore is also disappointing atm. I like it when he feeds the ball forward and I know he can kick a goal - although there are times he tries to when he should be passing it. He can learn better habits in the 2's.
    Malceski is also not what he was, but I think I'd persist with him a bit longer. He still shows enough to indicate his class but is not consistent enough.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The problem with Malceski is that he's just finding he doesn't have enough time or space. Send him back to the reserves and he'll get 40 touchs and kick a bag of goals. He'll do it for however many weeks he's sent there and look several classes above anyone else in the reserves team. But I doubt it will help him address what needs to be addressed to contribute at senior level.

I have the utmost faith that he'll recapture his form at some stage, though it might not be this season. I reckon the decision on his is less whether he needs to "find form" and more whether anyone else can come in an do a better job, or whether someone with a future at the club can come in and do a similar job but then get senior experience into the bargain.

It might also be worth sending him down to the half-back flank, which is, after all, where he's played his best footy. Risk is that the team is more exposed down there, but at the same time he should have more time and space to be creative, which is what he brought to the team at his best.
    Indicative of how Malceski is going was when he received a hand ball on the HBF in traffic but had space to deliver by foot. He actually was very tentive even to drop it to boot, did a pussy little stab that was smothered, turned over for a goal. A very weak effort. He is stuggling to kick more than 20 metres on the very rare occasion he gets the footy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Sadly, I agree on Reg - Veszpremi should replace him.
    And much as I am grateful for what Buchanan has done, he is not doing what he used to do. If the final quarter of the 2005 GF is a tough ask, I'd settle for the first three quarters, but that's not what we're getting.
    Moore is also disappointing atm. I like it when he feeds the ball forward and I know he can kick a goal - although there are times he tries to when he should be passing it. He can learn better habits in the 2's.
    Malceski is also not what he was, but I think I'd persist with him a bit longer. He still shows enough to indicate his class but is not consistent enough.
    Malceski shows no class at all.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    OK, I'm not the type to swing the axe after every disappointing loss. I often come to the defence of players who frequently get a bagging on this site. But I've finally run out of patience with a few players, namely Buchanan, Malceski and Moore. I'm not saying they're duds, I'm not saying we should delist them, but they definitely need a run in the reserves sooner rather than later. They're in very poor form, and Roos, quite rightly, has tried to let them run themselves back into form. It's becoming clear that this approach isn't working. At times they've all threatened to right themselves, but it's not quite happening.

Drop them, and let them fight for their place again. With Vespa back and apparently in good touch, Smith and Laidlaw beating down the doors in the reserves, and DOK finally starting to put some games, and hence form, together, we've got a few guys ready to come in. Bringing them all in at the same time would probably destabilise the team too much, but in my mind Moore and Melch need to be made to earn their place again. And I don't mean one 40 possession game in the reserves. I mean consecutive games in which they show they can address the current problems with their game. Buchy can have a reprieve for a week, so the team isn't too rocked, and he has been in the best form of the three lately, but he'll NEED to perform against the Pies to retain his place.

This isn't a "DROP EVERYBODY AND PLAY THE KIDS!!!!" thread. I hate those. If we had a 30 year old playing ressies and tearing it up (as you'd expect him to with that amount of experience), I'd want him in. This is just a recognition that the coaching staff have tried to let these players run themselves into form, and it hasn't worked, so a new approach needs to be tried. I have no problem with the way Roos has handled the situation so far, these players should be given every chance, but it's time to change the approach, as it just isn't working.
    Drop those 3 you mentioned. 3 "kids" in at once could not possibly do any worse than that trio did today.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Malceski's out of contract this year but like Liz i have faith that he will get back to his best.

However atm he is a detriment to our team and maybe does need a spell.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    Yes, agree with you on Buchanan. Just not the player he was a few years ago and really needs some time out to find his mojo.

For me the other one that has rarely impressed me is Grundy and again today there we some terrible clangers from him. In his case, I don't believe he has any mojo to find ... I think this is his level and just occasionally he plays above it, which is not enough for me.

I've always been a fan of Moore and think he is still a work in progress (remember how long it took McVeigh). That's not to say a stint in the reserves wouldn't help. But I definitely see he as part of the Swans future core.
    With Grundy, I think Roos needs to keep him in the one position for the entire match. Let him play on a half forward flank, as a sort of pseudo-CHF. I actually wonder if he's carrying a bit of a niggle, because he seems to have slowed down quite drastically since the WC game. Through the second half of last year and the first few weeks of this year, he was moving very well, but that seems to have stopped recently. Maybe he needs a rest as well, but it may just be a confidence thing. He has been shunted all over the ground and has never been able to settle, which wouldn't help. He has a great set of hands, can work with some finesse when he backs himself to do it (which is usually when he has no time to think about it and goes on instinct), he's a good kick when he gets it right (though like Shaw, he's quite clanger prone, but oh well, I've never claimed he was a star), and he isn't as slow a mover as people seem to think.

I reckon Grundy will be a solid third tall option for a good few years to come. He'll never be a star, but he'll be handy.

As for Moore, I agree completely. It's not like he hasn't shown he can perform at the top level. He was very handy last year. He's gone backwards this year, but plenty of players do that after a breakout year. He's struggling to get involved, and his skills have been uncharacteristically poor this year, but it's still all there. I reckon a spell in the reserves so he can remember what it's like to actually get his hands on the footy would do him a world of good. He's certainly got all the tools to be a player for us for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

With Mal, if he was to go back to the ressies, I wouldn't be looking at possessions or goals if I was Roos. I'd be looking at contested possessions, one percenters, tackles, disposal quality, speed, and general physicality. It would be fantastically easy for him to run off his opponent and collect handball receives all day, but I agree, that won't prove anything about his ability at senior level. He needs to prove he can address the issues that are holding him back.

This thread reminds me of Patience, who i met in Hong Kong a few weeks ago.
    She was quite hot, but I wasn't either in or out of her.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast