Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We've seen the (short-to-medium) term future, and it ain't pretty...

We've seen the (short-to-medium term) future, and it ain't pretty...

I think today's game was quite telling in a number of ways.

From what we've grown used to since Roos took over, this was one of those games that, ordinarily, most people would expect us to win. But we ended up on the receiving end of a reasonably heavy defeat.

We had better get used to it for a while, because the next top 4 Swans team has not even begun to take shape.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should have started the serious business of strategic trading after 2006, when our playing list was full of hard currency. Look at who has gone since then, and the manner in which they've gone.

We handled the upside from 2003-2006 brilliantly, but not the downside. The next couple of seasons are going to be a challenge for the club and code in Sydney.
    Last edited by Cheer Squad; 12th July 2009 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should have started the serious business of strategic trading after 2006, when our playing list was full of hard currency. Look at who has gone since then, and the manner in which they've gone.

We handled the upside from 2003-2006 brilliantly, but not the downside. The next couple of seasons are going to be a challenge for the club and code in Sydney.
    Indeed, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

That said you don't show a swathe of premiership players the door. What kind of club culture does that build?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Was there really that much currency there? It was an older, blue-collar side. Look at the minimal amount we got for two young premiership players in one trade.

I would have been a lot happier if we'd not traded for Everitt with a pick that was used on a key position player who would be very helpful for us right now.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    I would have been a lot happier if we'd not traded for Everitt with a pick that was used on a key position player who would be very helpful for us right now.
    'Cept that in the 2006 draft we took Currie, White and Faulks. So another pick would probably have been used on a smaller player. Were there any talls taken in that year in the 30s or 40s who are looking the goods now?

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    'Cept that in the 2006 draft we took Currie, White and Faulks. So another pick would probably have been used on a smaller player. Were there any talls taken in that year in the 30s or 40s who are looking the goods now?
    Kurt Tippett..

But like everyone says, hindsight is such a lovely thing.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Kurt Tippett..

But like everyone says, hindsight is such a lovely thing.
    Tippett was taken with the pick before the one we traded for Spida. So unless we're going to debate the DOK pick, he's not really relevant.

Just had a look at the draft list, and Colin Garland is one who does stand out. Westhoff is another taken very late (but after Faulks, so we still could have taken him anyway).

One name that does jump out from the list is Josh Hill. Not a true KPP but a fantastic get from that late in the draft.

White and Johnstone are the blokes we should be looking to build our forward line around. White has shown a bit this season while Johnstone is very highly regarded. We could have a very good duo there.

I think the midfield will be OK. Vez, Bird, Meredith, Jack and Hannebery could be a very good group. Smith, Moore and Thornton have all shown they can handle themselves.

Jolly could play for another 5 years yet, and from the reports Currie is coming along very nicely.

The big worry for me is where the backline will be in 5 years. We don't have a genuine key backman coming through which is a big concern. Bolton isn't getting any younger and when he goes we will be left with Teddy and LRT. Grundy is decent but isn't a genuine full back.

Barry was very much a manufactured key defender, and he was on the verge of All Australian for a few years. Perhaps there is somebody else who can make a similar move.

barry did get all aus selection twice

On the Rookie List
    I think we were flat today because of Barry's departure. It wasn't a funeral but it might as well have been. Sad day for the club IMO.

That said, it meant we werent up to punching above our weight as we usually are. We're doing it too often now.

I think we have some cattle, this is the year we give them their chance and next year is the time to make their names.

I am already looking forward to the new generals in the forward line and the new leaders after Kirk. Bird and Jack are future captains.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

It may not be pretty But there is always something to look forward to.

I didn't get any vision of the game today but I saw Sophie's photos on Facebook and the Barry Hall thing was unbelievably emotional...I was a bit shocked......it reminded me of the game we played after George Stone's son died..the players were very flat.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

I never thought we had a chance of winning today. Very optimistic for anyone who did.

I think Halls leaving had very little to do with the way we played. Comparing Hall leaving to the game after the death of George Stones son is ridiculous. I was at that game. Today people were more scratching their heads as to such a waste of talent. However him playing today would not have changed the result. Lets not let fantasy get in the way of fact.

Hall was being interviewed by Rowan Smith in front of Churchill Stand when the Swans ran out after half time. Not a single player looked in that direction. They ran on, ran past and went out to jog around centre square. It's interesting that Hall was not wearing his official Swans gear either today or last Thursday night. He is still a contracted player. I would have thought that it had to do with appearance and now Hall was on his own and no longer representing Sydney. Just a thought.

We got beaten by a better side today, end of story.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast