Thread: SSFC the #1 football club in Australia

SSFC the #1 football club in Australia

Perhaps now Chairman Head will stop talking us down...

(sorry, this is from AdNews but there is no link available)

AFL most popular football code

SYDNEY: The AFL remains Australia?s best-supported football league, enjoying the support of 7,624,000 Australians followers, according to a Roy Morgan survey.

Support for NRL at 5,577,000 followers and A-League at 2,870,000 followers is well behind the AFL in terms of support for teams in their respective leagues, the survey found.

According to the survey, 4.1 million AFL supporters say they are ?always ready to try new and different products,? 3.2 million enjoy clothes shopping and over a million are ?born to shop.?

Gary Morgan, executive chairman at Roy Morgan Research, said: ?With debate surrounding alcohol sponsorship of all sports events ? new potential sponsors will be looking closely at the value of AFL supporters to their brand.

?Given that 1.2 million AFL supporters have ?no junk mail? on their letterboxes; 4.35 million say ?nearly all TV advertising annoys me!? and 5.3 million say ?Advertising posters in shopping centres and malls don?t interest me? AFL sponsorship may well offer a unique way to engage with valuable, difficult to reach customers.?

The Sydney Swans remain the AFL?s most supported team with 1,217,000 supporters Australia-wide - although down 61,000 since 2008.
    This is the fourth consecutive year that the Sydney Swans have been the most supported AFL team in Australia.

The Brisbane Lions kept second place followed by Victoria?s most supported teams, Collingwood, and Essendon. This is the first time this decade Essendon has not been Victoria?s most well supported AFL team.

However, 2008 Grand Finalists Hawthorn and Geelong had the biggest jumps in support up 72,000 and 99,000 respectively.

Story by: Helen Schuller

- 20 July 2009
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Any chance they could buy a membership instead of following the Sydney team because they like the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post

However, 2008 Grand Finalists Hawthorn and Geelong had the biggest jumps in support up 72,000 and 99,000 respectively.

Story by: Helen Schuller

- 20 July 2009
    They're pretty hefty bandwagon numbers.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

They always make me laugh with these 'surveys'.

My department at work is about 40 strong. If they were asked "Which AFL team do u support", 10 would say nobody and 30 would say Sydney Swans.

Of course, of that 30, I am the only member and regular attendee and maybe 4 or 5 have ever been to a game.

It's logical that most of Sydney's population with a passing interest in sport will list the Swans as their preferred AFL side and as Australia's biggest city.....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    They always make me laugh with these 'surveys'.

My department at work is about 40 strong. If they were asked "Which AFL team do u support", 10 would say nobody and 30 would say Sydney Swans.

Of course, of that 30, I am the only member and regular attendee and maybe 4 or 5 have ever been to a game.

It's logical that most of Sydney's population with a passing interest in sport will list the Swans as their preferred AFL side and as Australia's biggest city.....
    It's not that simple but I agree in broad terms... and there are a lot of positives in it.

The clear majority of the NSW people in the 1.2m (around 1m, as 200,000 Vic, etc) would be from within 20 kms of the CBD, and if we focus our resources on this area rather than trying to be all things to all people across Greater Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle and Wollongong... and take advantage of the massive push the AFL is about to give the code over the next few years with the new Sydney team... it becomes very positive.

1m people in Sydney are 'open' to the SSFC brand, we need to focus on them, not the 3m+ who are not. If we do that (and play some attractive football) we can increase our membership considerably.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.