Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sydney Swans fans under scrutiny for delaying St Kilda kick-ins

Apropo nothing - if anyone is out there who actually goes to games to ignore what is going on and bitch gossip with their girlfriends, or if some of the blokes could answer why they spend the majority of the more exciting moments shoving their arses in our faces while forcing their way through with or without three beers in plastic cups please answer this question.

Why do you come to the football?

Its got me fascinated and I am sure there is a social more going on here. But I fail to see the fascination of paying good money to not watch the game or to pay a fortune to drink yourselves silly and not watch the game.

Anyone?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can't understand it at all.....we had 4 blokes behind us (2 of whom were wearing swans scarves) in the Ladies Stand who ignored the footy & gossiped among themselves all night long

Regular in the Side
    maybe we need to have a special section for people who only wish to be amongst those that go to the footy in the proper way?

the area could be a largely unseated bog with a few pine benches, have poor toilet access and no protection from the elements other than that given by the special panels erected to block the view of the video screens.

but what to call this particular membership class? the sydney simulcra has a nice ring to it.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by timthefish View Post
    maybe we need to have a special section for people who only wish to be amongst those that go to the footy in the proper way?

the area could be a largely unseated bog with a few pine benches, have poor toilet access and no protection from the elements other than that given by the special panels erected to block the view of the video screens.

but what to call this particular membership class? the sydney simulcra has a nice ring to it.

Although perhaps we might need to have 10000 such areas as the 10000 people who want to do it the proper way all probably have a different opinion on what is proper!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post

Although perhaps we might need to have 10000 such areas as the 10000 people who want to do it the proper way all probably have a different opinion on what is proper!
    I know what you mean Stella, but I am not including the "proper" watchers, such as the Doom and Gloom couple who we moved away from after sitting in the same seats for eleven years because they bag even the toppies in the ressies matches. I acknowledge they watch the game minutely although they create a black hole of negativity around them, people avoid sitting near them even tho they are in prime seats.

Our aim is at the people who pay good money for seats then talk on the phone to someone or other for an hour about uncle charlies operation (they used staples apparently), or what their boyfriends did last night, or apply nail polish, or sit and have a three way conversation for four quarters without even bothering to keep a weather eye on what is happening on the field. Or as someone is steaming down with the ball bouncing heading towards goal stands up in front of the screaming footy fans and asks his mates for a head count on who wants a beer.

That is the kind of footy goer I just don't get. Why are they there!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Regular in the Side
    I liked Eddie McGuire's description in the footy record about what it was like to watch the Pies as a kid at Victoria Park. Sounded serene compared to those ball throwing, drunken yobbo, loud kids at the sCG the other night.

Team Manager NWJFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I liked Eddie McGuire's description in the footy record about what it was like to watch the Pies as a kid at Victoria Park. Sounded serene compared to those ball throwing, drunken yobbo, loud kids at the sCG the other night.
    Definitely wasn't the cheersquad who delayed the game the other night. We were up the other end

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    If the game can be stopped by throwing an extra ball onto the field, shoudn't we all be supplied with footies to throw on every time the opposition gets momentum or a fast break?

Paul Roos for PM

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Can we have another designated area for non-drinkers, and another for heavy drinkers - and for St Kilda fans?
    Just for clarification, are you requesting two areas or three? I like to drink and watch footy but I don't like St Kilda Fans...

Edit: Just read some more posts and would like to be known as none of them... If you're going to go to the footy and drink you need to have a designated "drink getter". Obviously, as you all point out, disregarding the game is utterly inappropriate and there isn't enough time during the breaks to get your drinks. You need a non-footy-appreciater who is willing to listen to you comment on the game during the quarters who is still happy to go and stand in the line during the breaks to get your drinks. Always, double your order unless you have a desire to be thirsty and make sure your bladder can handle the pressure... Who said footy wasn't a team sport?
    Last edited by Q...; 5th August 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123