Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Kirk Considering Future....

Some really worrying signs for Kirky now. His lack of pace is really being exploited by opponents.

Let's hope he makes the right decision on retirement in the cold hard light of day.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Some really worrying signs for Kirky now. His lack of pace is really being exploited by opponents.

Let's hope he makes the right decision on retirement in the cold hard light of day.
    And plays on?

Watching the game on TV yesterday I was impressed by Kirk's ability to find the ball in a mass of players and get it to a team mate again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Kirk will be the coach of the Sydney Swans after Longmire.

In fact, I doubt Longmire will last more than 3 years, so Kirky better do his apprentiship fast!
    You know what? I agree. He is constantly in the mix, directing traffic, sorting out those who need to be, giving encouragement to others, or discussing things with Roos under the canopy, and he is after all a qualified teacher. Its in him.

But I don't agree about Longmire. He is going to be around for a long time.

What's the book on a joint coaching job? they did it with captaincy, why not be stupidly innovative!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veteran Site Admin
    The Age had him as the Swans' best player yesterday.

Don't think this has been his best season, but has it occured to anyone knocking him that he may well be carrying injuries (and yet still being pretty effective)? We supporters demand an awful lot from players, ignoring the fact they will often be sore, and can be pretty damning when they fall even marginally from the high standards they have set themselves.

i agree....but - the age also had a discussion about what attributes a small needs to have to be in a team - these being pace, skill or heart (Ithink they used courage). Kirky has the later two courage in bundles and is probably the league's best tackler and his handpassing is impressive usually) - but he is beginning to look quite slow as the game moves more away from contested in-tight footy - and the rule changes which have hindered the swans are certainly not doing him any favours.

I agree with you liz that we got slaughtered on sat night in and around the packs - and with kirky well beaten and jude probably at best breaking even it also showed that if you play goodes at CHF we really do lack players who can go and get the ball

To see simon black run off him all night and run away further and further I thought was really quite concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    i agree....but - the age also had a discussion about what attributes a small needs to have to be in a team - these being pace, skill or heart (Ithink they used courage). Kirky has the later two courage in bundles and is probably the league's best tackler and his handpassing is impressive usually) - but he is beginning to look quite slow as the game moves more away from contested in-tight footy - and the rule changes which have hindered the swans are certainly not doing him any favours.
    There's no "probably". He IS the league's best tackler. Has been for a while.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post

I agree with you liz that we got slaughtered on sat night in and around the packs - and with kirky well beaten and jude probably at best breaking even it also showed that if you play goodes at CHF we really do lack players who can go and get the ball

To see simon black run off him all night and run away further and further I thought was really quite concerning.
    But at some cost -

From AFL news "THE BRISBANE Lions could be without five key players for Saturday night?s second elimination final against Carlton at the Gabba.

Almost the entire spine is likely to be spectating, including Daniel Merrett (full-back) Josh Drummond (half-back) Simon Black (centre) and Daniel Bradshaw (full-forward).

Coach Michael Voss said the above five were all less than 50 per cent chances of playing.

?If they come up then good but we?re not expecting them to,? Voss said.

?So we go and plan ahead without them there, and obviously the personnel that we put in have got a job to do against a good opposition.?

Voss believes the holes left by Black (hamstring), Drummond (quad), Bradshaw (quad) and Merrett (hamstring) can be filled by quality players, with Troy Selwood likely to slot straight back in.

Rhan Hooper, Tim Notting, Bradd Dalziell and Pearce Hanley have also been in good form in the reserves.

Matthew Leuenberger is also not ready for a return, while Voss said Black?s hamstring strain was only the ?slightest of slight? strains, giving fans some glimmer of hope that the Brownlow Medallist can play."

Also, Kirk finished the year with more tackles than any other player - with Jude in 3rd. You need a defensive game, too, and they give it to us. The AFL average was 38 - Kirk had 170. He's hardly washed up. His opponents often aren't ready to play the next weekend but Brett invariably is.

Opti-pessi-misti
    If he does make the decision not to go on (and I hope he decides to go one more year) what about mid-field coach next year?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    A significant footnote on that article....

MIKE SHEAHAN'S interview with Kirk airs on Open Mike on Monday night at 9.30pm on Fox Sports 1.

The part about Hall is sad. I really do wish it all could have ended much better

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
    A significant footnote on that article....

MIKE SHEAHAN'S interview with Kirk airs on Open Mike on Monday night at 9.30pm on Fox Sports 1.

Thank goodness it's pre-recorded.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This article confirms he's going on to 2010

''I have spoken to the club about my intentions and I'm about to sign a new contract for the next 12 months,'' Kirk confirmed. ''I just still love it and I'm passionate about the footy club and there's still a role there for me.
    I'm grateful. I want one more year.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast