Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teddy on the trading table

Teddy on the trading table

With so many retirements being announced, and a general clean-out of our list imminent, I think there might be some value to the club in putting Ted Richards on the trading table.

Let's be honest - Ted hasn't exactly set the world on fire for some time, and our backline has functioned quite well in his absence. We haven't missed him. I think we could extract the most value from him as part of a trade for another, younger player, with better long-term prospects.

Ted will be 27 next season, and if we hang on to him for too long, he'll just end up getting delisted. Let's trade him while he still has some reasonable market value.

Ted would be worth a third round pick at best so I honestly can't see it happening.

I'm predicting a very quiet trade week for the Swans.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Way more value to our team as the third tall defender or swingman than what he would be worth on the open market (probably a third round pick at best).

Where do some of you get these ideas from?

With Fosdike, Hall, Magic, Leo, Crouch, possibly Playfair and Kennelly as well off the list at the end of the year we are around the departures we want to lose this year.

I can see the club now making only one more cut and that is likely to be Brabazon as 7 or 8 will be the maximum in what will be a thin draft this year.

DST
    Last edited by DST; 20th August 2009 at 09:59 PM.
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    With so many retirements being announced, and a general clean-out of our list imminent, I think there might be some value to the club in putting Ted Richards on the trading table.

Let's be honest - Ted hasn't exactly set the world on fire for some time, and our backline has functioned quite well in his absence. We haven't missed him. I think we could extract the most value from him as part of a trade for another, younger player, with better long-term prospects.

Ted will be 27 next season, and if we hang on to him for too long, he'll just end up getting delisted. Let's trade him while he still has some reasonable market value.
    What are you smoking..trade teddy what a joke..lets lose all our experience and beat GC to all the good pics in 2010

Ted stays. He's a blood.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Way more value to our team as the third tall defender or swingman than what he would be worth on the open market (probably a third round pick at best).

Where do some of you get these ideas from?

With Fosdike, Hall, Magic, Leo, Crouch, possibly Playfair and Kennelly as well off the list at the end of the year we are around the departures we want to lose this year.

I can see the club now making only one more cut and that is likely to be Brabazon as 7 or 8 will be the maximum in what will be a thin draft this year.

DST
    We haven't missed him since he got injured in the Carlton game. And our form since his departure has been very good.

Ted has been making quite a few costly mistakes for a while now. It's only in his absence that it's become apparent how costly.

Veteran Site Admin
    Roos has said we'll be looking to bolster KPP stocks. Admittedly that's with half an eye to the future, but we currently have close to no depth in tall defenders, and with just Murphy untried. Mattner has been played more in the midfield in recent weeks, with promising results. Can't see why on earth we'd want to lose such a solid citizen in Ted, who still has four or five good years ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Roos has said we'll be looking to bolster KPP stocks. Admittedly that's with half an eye to the future, but we currently have close to no depth in tall defenders, and with just Murphy untried. Mattner has been played more in the midfield in recent weeks, with promising results. Can't see why on earth we'd want to lose such a solid citizen in Ted, who still has four or five good years ahead of him.
    Because he still has value as a tradable player. If we're serious about bolstering our KPPs, who else do we have that we'd be happy to trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Because he still has value as a tradable player. If we're serious about bolstering our KPPs, who else do we have that we'd be happy to trade?
    Who says?

We couldn't move ROK for a first round pick in a decent draft last year.

We are unlikely to get anything more than a late third round pick for Ted this year in a draft where everybody is going to hold this year. Which based on what he brings to this team right now is not an adequate trade in my opinion.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Ted is a good player. Much more valuable to us than anything we'd get for him...no idea why you'd want to trade him.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Only if we were to pick up Lake. Otherwise, he stays. Would accept no less than a second rounder for him.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Ted is a good player. Much more valuable to us than anything we'd get for him...no idea why you'd want to trade him.
    Precisely! You'd trade him while he still has some currency. He's probably the only experienced player on our list we'd be willing to part with in exchange for someone with greater potential.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast