Thread: To make the Finals next year...what do we need to do?

On the Rookie List

To make the Finals next year...what do we need to do?

I would list these things as urgent
    1. MAJOR Clean out of the dead wood and recruit a KPP defender and an X factor forward.We all know who should go!
    2. Pick a pacy draft pick ace, pace and more pace
    3.Put the emphasis during pre-season on delivery skills and attacking play but practise defensive skills as well. Use Geelong as the best model so far.
    4.Roosey and Horse work on at least 2 new game plans before first game.Have a couple of surprise moves.eg Reg to the FF position (like Woosha and Hunter did)
    5. Make an attacking mistake as serious as a defensive mistake and punish accordingly(Would we have anyone left playing?)
    6.Employ Plugger to coach White
    7.Practise the 1% ers.they won us a GF. They will stop us losing close ones!

what do other RWO'ers think?

Major cleanout of "deadwood" won't do anything. We'd just be replacing them with very late draft picks. Best to stagger it over the next two years or so, so that we can top up with higher draft picks than dip very, very deep into one draft. Besides which, guys like Buchanan, Ablett, etc, are the types that other players will learn from. Otherwise we run the risk of turning into Richmond, constantly rebuilding, never getting built.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Win at least 12 games!

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    1. MAJOR Clean out of the dead wood and recruit a KPP defender and an X factor forward.We all know who should go!
    What's left to clear? Jessie and Goodes are our X-Factor forwards or did you mean a small? Vesz/Jack/Moore/McVeigh not enough?
    2. Pick a pacy draft pick pace, pace and more pace
    So long as it's the best available and the other skills are there. No good being fast if you butcher everything.
    3.Put the emphasis during pre-season on delivery skills and attacking play but practise defensive skills as well. Use Geelong as the best model so far.
    So - that pretty much sums up the training now? Agree that our kicking skills have been very poor. Handball is ok and improving and I can see that we are trying to play a faster running game. Too much tho and we might end up like Port! Defensive pressure wins games so I think that the most important element - our tackling hasn't really been sticking as well as it could so I would like to see that go up a notch. Which it will as the players get a bit bigger and stronger.
    4.Roosey and Horse work on at least 2 new game plans before first game.Have a couple of surprise moves.eg Reg to the FF position (like Woosha and Hunter did).
    Overall our plan is ok - We are just having trouble executing it and playing it out all game. That will come when this current crop mature.
    Reg could definitely be a sneaky forward move and LRT has worked ok on occasion going forward.
    5. Make an attacking mistake as serious as a defensive mistake and punish accordingly(Would we have anyone left playing?)What? This doesn't make sense. Do you mean like dropping Moore for selfishness in front of goals when there is a better option?
    No point pulling players for having a go IMO.
    To teach him to lead? He's doing ok. I think we need to work on our delivery to the leading forward. Maybe Plugger could "show" some of our mids the consequences of poor delivery.
    Can you practice a 1% - aren't they by nature a bit one off? Might also lead to a few injuries at training.

Is it just me, or is everyone else getting sick of the same threads being started with different names?

BTW, in reply to the OP, win more games.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Is it just me, or is everyone else getting sick of the same threads being started with different names?

BTW, in reply to the OP, win more games.
    Sorry! Just bored and after losing the ashes and capitulating to the Pies dreaming about next year is all I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Sorry! Just bored and after losing the ashes and capitulating to the Pies dreaming about next year is all I have.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    I would list these things as urgent
    2. Pick a pacy draft pick ace, pace and more pace
    4.Roosey and Horse work on at least 2 new game plans before first game.Have a couple of surprise moves.eg Reg to the FF position (like Woosha and Hunter did)
    5. Make an attacking mistake as serious as a defensive mistake and punish accordingly(Would we have anyone left playing?)

what do other RWO'ers think?
    1. The clean out has already taken place. Other than maybe Playfair going due to long term injury and Brabazon due to disposal issues there is no one else left to the cut.

Besides, why would you cut anything else to add a bunch of 18 year olds from pick 80 onwards in a slim draft who have no likelyhood of ever playing and will be required to be listed for a minimum of 2 years. Removes all flexinility for the year after.

2. This should be target number 1, but not at the expense of requirement over best player left at 7. If it is a utility or KP type player, then it will be so.

3. Skills are a normal part of any football training.

4. There is nothing wrong with our game plan, it's whether the players we have can implement it often enough and for four full quaters. Besides your inference was what we need to do to make the finals and playing our style of football will get use closer to finals that changing it now to a Geelong style which would be a disaster as we don't have the players to implement it yet.

5. Why you would want to remove risk taking from the game plan is beyond me. Each player must learn to shoulder the load defensively when required, but to remove the risk taking from their game (with threat of punishment) will not get us anywhere.

6. Past champions should always be welcome to come back to the club to help if they want to

7. Status quo, it is now up to generation next to put their head over the ball and do the team things week in and week out if they want to remain on the list

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Make sure the playing group goes to bed earlier! Roosey reckons the old brigade and the young brigade are too jolly tired to play well ATM.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Listen to the coaches. Kick more goals. Win more games. Forget the tatts. Go to bed. Drink lots of water. Give Aunty Primmy a hug at every opportunity.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood