Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Harley retires

Quote Originally Posted by dread and might View Post
    why does everyone assume he'll be a good coach?
    Probably for the same reasons many assumed Voss would be a good coach. By all accounts Tom Harley is a just a huge figure at the Geelong football club - intelligent, brave, and a 4-star general on and off the field. Why wouldn't you want this guy at the club?
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tom Harley is one classy handsome guy. I reckon it's a couple of years in the media. It was pretty clear that he wasn't interested in coaching for now as wouldn't be able to "plot the downfall" of Geelong.
    Whatever he does, he will be a welcome addition to the Sydney AFL scene. Would be good to see him involved in grass roots footy in NSW with the AFL flinging around $100 mil locally, we could definitely afford him.
    Last edited by Lucky Knickers; 24th October 2009 at 10:55 AM.

Back, strapped and intact dread and might's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Probably for the same reasons many assumed Voss would be a good coach. By all accounts Tom Harley is a just a huge figure at the Geelong football club - intelligent, brave, and a 4-star general on and off the field. Why wouldn't you want this guy at the club?

Not saying I don't want him. I just think that any player who can string three words together (intelligent) and has been a good player is instantly assumed to have the makings of a good coach which may not necessarily be the case.
    I wish my weed was EMO so it would cut itself

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    YAY! I'll be happy with Ch7 for a change.
    Harley joins Channel Seven | Herald Sun

Does that mean we cam have this thread moved off now?
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by dread and might View Post
    Not saying I don't want him. I just think that any player who can string three words together (intelligent) and has been a good player is instantly assumed to have the makings of a good coach which may not necessarily be the case.
    In this day and age most captains are guys who can lead a group of footballers. That is why people assume he will be a good coach. To lead a team such as Geelong over the last few years speaks volumes.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfabulous View Post
    In this day and age most captains are guys who can lead a group of footballers. That is why people assume he will be a good coach. To lead a team such as Geelong over the last few years speaks volumes.
    Doesn't always translate though, Danny Frawley and Tony Shaw were great captains but poor coaches

Quote Originally Posted by bennyfabulous View Post
    Anyone could have led the cats in the last few years.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Sangster View Post
    Doesn't always translate though, Danny Frawley and Tony Shaw were great captains but poor coaches
    Theres always the minority. The opinions of his ability to move into coaching would be coming from alot more reliable sources and people, that have been around footy clubs inner sanctums rather than your Keyboard . As was said before you dont hear that every Capt/Player that retires are coaching material in the future, when there is huge raps on someone as is with him, Bucks, Hird Etc i would back them to be right as Voss has proven. Sometimes you see players that retire that arent superstars at all but are said to be destined to coach, Clarkson, Laidley etc
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12