Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Brett Goodes

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    just a thought and i know this isn't a direct (or even a good) comparison - so don't shoot me down - but Ben Graham (32yo NFL), Sav Rocca (33 NFL), Darren Bennett (30 NFL, Vince Papale (30 NFL), Jimmy Morris (35 baseball) all made their debuts at the highest level in the US at age 30+. Mike Pyke 24 and no football expereince.

Maybe Goodsey II has a chance afterall? Doesn't have to win 2 Brownlows to make it worthwhile (one would do just fine )
    You said it yourself. Punters do nothing but kick a ball in NFL, Goodes II would be expected to run 20km a match, keep pace with an opponent and have the required skills to make it at AFL level. If dedication and fitness have been his issues in the past, it's a long shot he'll make it.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    You said it yourself. Punters do nothing but kick a ball in NFL, Goodes II would be expected to run 20km a match, keep pace with an opponent and have the required skills to make it at AFL level. If dedication and fitness have been his issues in the past, it's a long shot he'll make it.
    Yes I did say it myself.
    Ben Graham (32yo NFL), Sav Rocca (33 NFL), Darren Bennett (30 NFL) were obviously all punters. Jimmy Morris (35 baseball) was a pitcher so not much running there.

Vince Papale (30yo NFL), however, was a running wide receiver.

My point is that age might not be the barrier and at least Brett Goodes has played the game before. Graham, Rocca, Bennett and Pyke all started from scratch. No experience in their adopted game at all.
    I'm not saying The Swans should sign Brett (I didn't even know Goodsey had a brother and I know absolutely SFA about how he's played in the VFL. The only point I wanted to make was that at 25, well, older people have gone on to bigger things. The decision should be made on ability, not necessarily age.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Unfair but true.

I think a mature spot on the rookie list is instead of a younger player and not additional to.

Micky O's brother was delisted by the Crows and he never made it in Sydney either.
    That is incorrect, these mature aged rookies are in addition to all other list spots and won't be costing us a youngster on the list.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

MickyO's brother Ricky was a shy retiring kid, who gave it a go in the Eade section of the Swans Story but didn't have much mongrel in him. All a bit much. Anyone know if he gave the SANFL a go? or if they gave him a go?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    I have seen Goodes 2 play in the last two VFL final series and noticed a difference in his game from last year to this year. The most noticeable to me was that he had lost some weight and was running a lot further. Not all VFL players are full time. Many have to hold down other jobs, so training and keeping to peak fitness is not always an easy task. The other part of his game I liked the look of was his ability to be in the right place to pressure players and he has an awareness of where the ball is going and helps his team mates out.

If the Swans are looking at him, I think he has a bit to offer and would like to see him get a chance. As far as why he hasn't been on the radar before, some people take a while to work out what they want to do with their life.

Regular in the Side
    I have seen enough of Brett in the VFL to doubt very much as if he would make it - he has ability but goes missing quite often

There are several VFL players I would look at before him - Kyle Mathews (Casey Scorpions) and Sam Dwyer (Port Melbourne)

Dwyer is 23, listed as 177cm and 74kg
    Mathews is soon to be 24, 178 and 70kg - he is also Captain and one of the smartest and bravest footballers I have seen

Size is the only negative for these guys

By the way in looking for a little info about these players I noticed that former Swan, James Wall won his 2nd B&F for Casey Scorpions this year...he is still as thin as!!!
    Red and white till I die

Getting another crack? Permitted to train with the Dogs before the PSD

Veterans List
    Gee the Doggies are trialling some stars. Prismall after 14 knee recos is apparently on their radar.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Getting another crack? Permitted to train with the Dogs before the PSD
    He already works at the Dogs as a cultural/settling in type person...as I read it he is 4th in line for 3 places
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234