Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how much did these Jim Main books cost? And other Swans books questions

how much did these Jim Main books cost? And other Swans books questions

Can anyone tell me how much the following Jim Main books sold for when they were released by the club?:

In the Blood - signed, hard backed collectors edition
    Honour the Names

My credit card records say $173.95 - that would have included postage, if it was charged separately.
    Conrad

Keen to see what his next book is seeing as the last 2 are rehashed versions of a book he put out some 5-6 years earlier called "Plugger and the Swans".
    However, I read "Shake down the thunder" first - then a colleague lent me the Plugger book and I'm thinking "I've read all of this, pretty much word for word before in another book" - He just adds another chapter at the end of each one and charges a bomb for them..
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Keen to see what his next book is seeing as the last 2 are rehashed versions of a book he put out some 5-6 years earlier called "Plugger and the Swans".
    However, I read "Shake down the thunder" first - then a colleague lent me the Plugger book and I'm thinking "I've read all of this, pretty much word for word before in another book" - He just adds another chapter at the end of each one and charges a bomb for them..
    My opinion is that his books are not quite as captivating as I would have liked. And yes, they read very similar. Unfortunately, he has a captive market in me.

Sorry, gotta come to Jim's defence. I once asked him if I could send him a book-plate to sign for my copy of Shake down the Thunder. He declined, offering instread to send me another copy of the book signed and dedicated to me. For free. At his expense.
    Jim doesn't set the prices of his books, his publishers do. And the cost of publishing books in Australia is higher than elsewhere in the world (that why the government has a restriction on imported book sales - otherwise the Aussie market can't compete).
    As for the content of the books, he could scribble a new note on a napkin and I'd probably buy it. If you don't like the way he updates his books, go to the library and read the new chapter for free.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Sorry, gotta come to Jim's defence. I once asked him if I could send him a book-plate to sign for my copy of Shake down the Thunder. He declined, offering instread to send me another copy of the book signed and dedicated to me. For free. At his expense.
    Jim doesn't set the prices of his books, his publishers do. And the cost of publishing books in Australia is higher than elsewhere in the world (that why the government has a restriction on imported book sales - otherwise the Aussie market can't compete).
    As for the content of the books, he could scribble a new note on a napkin and I'd probably buy it. If you don't like the way he updates his books, go to the library and read the new chapter for free.
    It was stating a fact (with regard to content) - not actually having a go.

It was stating a fact (with regard to content) - not actually having a go.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Sorry.
    no probs - I thought I was going mad reading the books there for a while - anyway - we just have to hope that he hands the baton to someone else to recoprd the history when he gets too old to remember it all.

no probs - I thought I was going mad reading the books there for a while - anyway - we just have to hope that he hands the baton to someone else to recoprd the history when he gets too old to remember it all.

I just wish they'd write a good book on each of Bob Skilton and Bob Pratt snr. And I'd even read a book about the intricate details of the 3 consecutive 30+ goal games in 1987. Though it would be even better if the AFL or the Swans put this out as DVD boxed set. It'd part with good money to watch them over and over.

We've had plenty of Plugger. Kelly, Roosy, Deisel (sort of), Laurie Nash and even Capper (and small kids one on Micky O'). Time our 2 greatest Bob's were written about more extensively. Especially the Chimp, as he's still alive and spritely to write it himself.

Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the Rise and Fall of the Foreign Legion by Mark Branagan and Mike Lefebvre?

Regular in the Side
    I'm just saying it doesn't matter what he writes I'm going to buy it. And price isn't a factor either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm just saying it doesn't matter what he writes I'm going to buy it. And price isn't a factor either.
    Sorry . again

Blog Entries
    I think you also have to take into account the fact you read the 2 books close together, when they were written about 9 years apart (IIRC). So he was probably aiming at a few suckers, like me and the above, and a few new audience suckers to buy the latest one.

Mind you, you are correct in the repetitive point. But as we get older it takes repitition for it to sink in.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast