Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future for Luke Ablett

Future for Luke Ablett

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfn...615040142.html

After reading the latter part of today's article, I felt sorry for Ablett. I don't think the Swans are treating him very fairly in this whole matter.

I wonder if there is more to the story that has not been made public. You would think in a shallow draft he would be nominating for it instead of trying to hang on to the Swans.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    You would think in a shallow draft he would be nominating for it instead of trying to hang on to the Swans.
    I'd be surprised if anyone's interested. I'm sure his manager has thrown his name up but there probably hasn't been any interest. Quite similar to Daniel Harris really and there doesn't seem to be much interest in him.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfn...615040142.html

After reading the latter part of today's article, I felt sorry for Ablett. I don't think the Swans are treating him very fairly in this whole matter.

I wonder if there is more to the story that has not been made public. You would think in a shallow draft he would be nominating for it instead of trying to hang on to the Swans.
    I felt sorry for him too.

I dont feel sorry for him and I hope he gets delisted. There can be no sympathy for second rate players in an elite football competition. If you want to be sympathetic go follow your local neighbourhood team. 133 senior games, two grand finals and a premiership beggars no sympathy.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

One can't help but wonder if his fate rests in the hands of TK, who's inability to communicate his intentinos to the swans must be baffling and irritating to them. I reckon you can tell when Roos is running out of patience by his tone. I reckon he is running out of patience.

As for Ablett, I would like to see him go around again.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

I certainly don't feel sorry form him for a variety of reasons.

1. Could have been shown the door by now, but he hasn't.
    2. He can make his own choice to move-on and try to get a gig training with another team, but has decided not to.
    3. Luke is not in our best 22 and maybe used as a back-up only in case of injury. Don't see the problem with that.
    4. If not in our best 22 or close to it, the club must decide to keep him or draft a kid at 55 in a draft deemed to be shallow, no problem with that.
    5. I have never played a senior AFL game and he has.

Living in 2005
    Sounds like they are keeping him informed, so in the end the decision is up to him whether he waits it out or not. I feel sorry for him in the sense that his AFL career is probably over, but I personally think it's time to move him on.

Regular in the Side
    What makes the article potentially interested is the reference by Paul Roos to either going for draft pick 55 or retaining Luke Ablett.

Assuming that the Swans pick up Daniel Bradshaw, currently, (including Bradshaw and Kennelly, but not including Ablett), there is a list of 34, (or 36 if you include Thorton and Pike, the two promoted rookies from 2009). The Swans are entitled to a list of 40 for 2010, including two veterans.

The Swans have four draft picks prior to draft pick 55, (6,14,38 and 54). So in the absence of the promoted rookies, the 39th player will be either draft pick 55 or Luke Ablett.

But, if both Thorton and Pike are both promoted, that leaves 41 players, one too many. That surely would mean no Kennelly.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    But, if both Thorton and Pike are both promoted, that leaves 41 players, one too many. That surely would mean no Kennelly.
    I thought the club had already announced that Thornton has been promoted and that Pyke has been retained on the rookie list.

I do believe, however, that an additional list spot has to be cleared for us to use pick 54, before we even get to pick 55. That might be Playfair, though his situation hasn't been publicly clarified. It might be Kennelly, if he doesn't return. Or it could be cleared by moving Goodes or Kirk to outside veteran status.
    Last edited by liz; 11th November 2009 at 01:25 PM.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Happy to retain him but not at the expense of Kennelly or a decent draft pick.

On the Rookie List
    Yeah, no sentiment at professional AFL level if you can't make it. There are a lot more players dumped who probably didn't deserve it as much as Luke. Nonetheless as a back up player and leader of the B's there is an ok role for him. I can't see that the club has been anything but fair to him?

Sheeze!!!! He carried a shoulder injury for much of 2009 and its not right yet even after surgery. He didn't play at his best this year, but there is a reason for it!!! MickyO didn't play at his best over the years either but I didn't see any elephant guns being primed to remove him from the list, nor did he engender this much disrespect! NOG has worked hard to be where he is on the list, he respected from within the club, and deserves a bit of respect from us as well. He may not play on, but he has been part of this club for some seven years and he has put his heart and soul into being the best he can be. He may be a cortina, but he has been our cortina.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast