Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kirky's Guernsey Presentation Speech as reported by Rebecca Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I am really really sorry that I posted this. It was done in good faith.

It was asked for, and next time someone asks for a bit of text I shall forward it to private messages. This was supposed to be enjoyable, and bar a few of you, it has just been a major piss take.

We are talking about a speech made to die hard Swans Supporters and Players at a Geunsey Presentation Night. It was greatly appreciated on the night that the Captain the of Sydney Swans Football Club spoke with passion and commitment. I thought that was what we wanted from the boys.

I apologise to Brett and I apologise to Rebecca. Never again.
    Apologies if offense was caused. If it is any consolation, a person making this type of speech and a person who would be inspired by it would not care a fig what people outside the "circle" thought of it. However, the post has stimulated both positive and negative points of view and some light hearted banter, so no harm done, indeed some good done.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    I don't think we need the "if you don't have passion you can't relate" and "well everyone clapped so /discussion" type comments. We're all here to express an opinion, I never said the entire speech was OTT but some parts of it just didn't sit well with me. My passion shouldn't be judged just because I don't agree with every single aspect of Kirk's speech, and just because it was applauded it doesn't mean it has to be universally endorsed without any conflicting views.

I'm sure 99.5% of us love Kirk and what he means to the club, but maybe that speech just isn't for everyone. I enjoyed it for the most part, except for a few contradictions and the secret society part.
    I will make a guess here and suggest you've never received a standing ovation. Just because you think something is irrelevant, doesn't make it so.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I will make a guess here and suggest you've never received a standing ovation. Just because you think something is irrelevant, doesn't make it so.
    What's your point? I said some parts, that's some not all, didn't sit well with me. At no point did I say any of it was irrelevant, so take a breather and relax a bit.

What's your point? I said some parts, that's some not all, didn't sit well with me. At no point did I say any of it was irrelevant, so take a breather and relax a bit.
    I don't think we need the "if you don't have passion you can't relate" and "well everyone clapped so /discussion" type comments.

The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I am really really sorry that I posted this. It was done in good faith.

It was asked for, and next time someone asks for a bit of text I shall forward it to private messages. This was supposed to be enjoyable, and bar a few of you, it has just been a major piss take.

We are talking about a speech made to die hard Swans Supporters and Players at a Geunsey Presentation Night. It was greatly appreciated on the night that the Captain the of Sydney Swans Football Club spoke with passion and commitment. I thought that was what we wanted from the boys.

I apologise to Brett and I apologise to Rebecca. Never again.
    Primms sorry if I have upset you, it certainly wasnt intended.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by swans_premiers View Post
    Seems people that don't have passion for their work can't relate to this. Footy means so much to so many people, I'm glad our club takes it seriously.
    We may now have one of the most stupid generalisations ever on RWO. Because I think the speech was OTT I am not passionate about my work! We are talking about a sport, not work or a lifetime career. You may need to get some perspective before you reply to this.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Tell em all to get stuffed Prims.

You post whatever you like sweetie!!

I'll back ya up.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    With all due respect, I think getting upset over people finding that speech cringeworthy is being a tad precious.

Some people found it inspirational, some people found it a little bit cringeworthy- it doesn't make them less of a fan. Is someone who disagrees with government policy, or in particular someone who finds one of Rudd's long winded speeches a tad cringeworthy, less of an Australian?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I don't think we need the "if you don't have passion you can't relate" and "well everyone clapped so /discussion" type comments.

Again, what's your point?

Senior Player
    The negative comments only came from those who have previously shown some aversion to Kirky. No surprises here. Throroughly predictable really. A bit like asking Fred Nile whether he approves of homosexuality. It's hard for some to embrace Kirky because he is not the footballer / robot that he is expected to be.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

What? I don't recall ever showing any aversion to Kirk.

Again, what's your point?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret

I don't think we need the
    "if you don't have passion you can't relate" and "well everyone clapped so /discussion" type comments.

I think it's pretty clear. I don't think you need to include passive aggressive devices such as "so take a breather and relax a bit" - either. I am relaxed and I'm not out of breath.

For what it's worth from your original post - I don't think anyone who posts on RWO isn't behind the Swans 100% (including ROKL).

My point was that posters were looking at the speech out of context, and the context was everything...including the "well everyone clapped", and there is a big difference between everyone clapping and a standing ovation.

The speech was made to and for the audience. I don't understand why posters can't take that into consideration when evaluating the speech.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast