Thread: ...and so it begins yet again

...and so it begins yet again

Well people, we've just had our 1st game for 2010, and I must say it was great to see the swans finally win one for Roosy. But once again, down here in Melbourne, I've already started to hear the same old boring stuff about the swans 'game style/plan' from a number of sports broadcasters and talk back people on the radio/media. How the 'only' reason that game was boring in the first half was because of the way the swans play, the negative tactics installed by Roos, etc etc.

I must admit, the 1st half was tough to watch on TV, dont know what it was like at the ground, but I felt that was mainly due to the players(on both sides) constantley fumbling the ball as if they were wet conditions. I did hear somewhere that the ground was apparently dewy(sp). Was this the case?

Anyway, I just hope that all this crap about the swans negative gamestyle, especially hear in Melbourne, goes away for 2010, as I'm sure that the swans are not intending on playing that way this year.

johnno, if they want to continue rabbiting on about that garbage, they can, quite simply it will just serve to undermine their own credibility as football journalists as it will show they don't actually watch games...

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    johnno, if they want to continue rabbiting on about that garbage, they can, quite simply it will just serve to undermine their own credibility as football journalists as it will show they don't actually watch games...
    Loved it when Steve Q reigned in Tim Lane for his attitude. There is obviously a directive to sort things out. Its a start. We could for instance still have Don Scott.....cold shudder just went through me.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Very true Mike, I almost feel like they actually know nothing at all about the swans, so when they get asked a question about them during talk back, they just trott out the same old boring line about the swans ' negative gamestyle' to justify their own 'footy expert' tag.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Very true Mike, I almost feel like they actually know nothing at all about the swans, so when they get asked a question about them during talk back, they just trott out the same old boring line about the swans ' negative gamestyle' to justify their own 'footy expert' tag.
    Come on Johnno, name names....I missed Whately on ABC this morning, but he is one of the real wankers when it comes to being a football "expert".
    Does God believe in Atheists?

"Experts" just want to sell ink and air. And this video which lists these experts just confirms that.

Video Related
    10100111001 ;-)

On the Rookie List
    I was at the game. the pitch was fantastic and it felt quite dry so no excuses there. was a bit scrappy in the first half, but I thought the swans showed some really good signs. Ball skills were great at times and they looked really sharp.

I agree with you about the 'experts.' They know nothing about what is happening up here. The only highlights from Saturday night came from Swans players. T

he club has provided the game with some of the most exciting games in the past 5 years (swans v geelong 05, Swans v West Coast 05,06 - even Swans v St Kilda 09) so I'm not sure what they're on about.

I'm proud that clubs feel strangled when they play us because we've consistently been the hardest tackling team in the comp for a decade. Clubs get 'reputations' spread by media and these turn into a clich?s that can be hard to throw.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Come on Johnno, name names....I missed Whately on ABC this morning, but he is one of the real wankers when it comes to being a football "expert".
    Well here in Melbourne, its a lot of these 2nd and 3rd tier media personalities who are on the radio talking about football. its pretty obvious all they know is anything and everything to do about there own club that they support, and a little bit here and there about some of the more popular clubs like Coll, Geel and Stk. Also, know a few things about the popular players like Judd, Ablett, Franklin and so on.

But ask them to comment about teams like the swans, Freo, Power and so on, and that when they bring out their stock standard lines.

I could name names, but to be honest you probably havent heard of them, only because they are so obscure, and to be honest, these people are that obscure, I'm not sure even I know what thier names are.

Well here in Melbourne, its a lot of these 2nd and 3rd tier media personalities who are on the radio talking about football. its pretty obvious all they know is anything and everything to do about there own club that they support, and a little bit here and there about some of the more popular clubs like Coll, Geel and Stk. Also, know a few things about the popular players like Judd, Ablett, Franklin and so on.

But ask them to comment about teams like the swans, Freo, Power and so on, and that when they bring out their stock standard lines.

I could name names, but to be honest you probably havent heard of them, only because they are so obscure, and to be honest, these people are that obscure, I'm not sure even I know what thier names are.
    I am a Victorian, living an hour out of Melb. So I probably have heard of them.

However, if they are so obscure, why worry about them?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I am a Victorian, living an hour out of Melb. So I probably have heard of them.

However, if they are so obscure, why worry about them?
    Sorry GS14, didnt realize you were a Victorian. i dont worry about it or them too much, but I am someone who doesnt mind listening to a bit of radio talkback on AFL from time to time, and i really like listening to media personalities point of view on AFL and the swans in particular, so when someone rings in and asks a question in relation to the swans and all they do is just trott out their stock standard line about the swans negative gamestyle...it just bugs a little bit, thats all.

The ones I am reffering to are the ones who are on after midnight on SEN, as I said cant name them cause i dont know their names, I put it on when I go to sleep and usually get 30-45 mins worth before Im out and thats when you usually hear their crap.

Sorry GS14, didnt realize you were a Victorian. i dont worry about it or them too much, but I am someone who doesnt mind listening to a bit of radio talkback on AFL from time to time, and i really like listening to media personalities point of view on AFL and the swans in particular, so when someone rings in and asks a question in relation to the swans and all they do is just trott out their stock standard line about the swans negative gamestyle...it just bugs a little bit, thats all.

The ones I am reffering to are the ones who are on after midnight on SEN, as I said cant name them cause i dont know their names, I put it on when I go to sleep and usually get 30-45 mins worth before Im out and thats when you usually hear their crap.
    I'm almost exclusively an ABC Melbourne listener. I wouldn't hear them then.