Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Game Plan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    A team with pace will always be beaten by a side that has 22 players with good decision making skills and disposal.
    Yep - look at the Bombers over the past few years. Lots of pace and not much skills.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    A team with pace will always be beaten by a side that has 22 players with good decision making skills and disposal.

DST
    Yeah we've added pace, but don't know about the decision-making or disposal of the new guys, or how the team gells together. What makes our hearts beat faster is that the recruits all look like they've got the goods.

At this stage of the season we're all optimists.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

On the Rookie List
    Hanging onto the ball at all costs and not worrying about scoring is a good tactic when your opposition is on a roll kicking consecutive goals. When the Bulldogs did this to us we just needed 3 or 4 minutes ball possession to stop their run. Defending a narrow winning score is another situation where its ok.However to hold the ball and not score is pointless because eventually your opposition will get the ball and will then hurt you on the scoreboard.Having loads of hard fought possession for no scoreboard reward saps morale. I think the Swans had a good game plan but just were not good enough to use it last year. Put a level of fast attacking football on top of our grinding man on man defence mode and we should have big winning scores.
    Looking at it from the opponents point of view and you would be considering how to nobble our running back line.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Yeah we've added pace, but don't know about the decision-making or disposal of the new guys, or how the team gells together. What makes our hearts beat faster is that the recruits all look like they've got the goods.

At this stage of the season we're all optimists.

In terms of the short term "best 22" it is not clear how much pace we've really added. Rohan and Jetta have it, but shouldn't be expected to make significant impact in 2010. (Any major impact Jetta has should be considered a bonus, while we won't see much, if anything, of Rohan.)

The main recruits who should play in 2010 who are pacy are McGlynn (but we've lost Crouch - who played part of last year), Kennelly (genuine addition) and possibly TDL (whose impact should be felt as increased zip in the forward line rather than around the ground pace).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    In terms of the short term "best 22" it is not clear how much pace we've really added. Rohan and Jetta have it, but shouldn't be expected to make significant impact in 2010. (Any major impact Jetta has should be considered a bonus, while we won't see much, if anything, of Rohan.)
    The main recruits who should play in 2010 who are pacy are McGlynn (but we've lost Crouch - who played part of last year), Kennelly (genuine addition) and possibly TDL (whose impact should be felt as increased zip in the forward line rather than around the ground pace).
    Wait and see Liz.
    I think you will be suprised.
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Like I said Nico when Goodes plays half of his minutes in the midfield some one will drop back into the HF line and I wont want Jude to play on the flanks and I do know he already said he will playing significant minutes in the HF line.

SO

Maybe u have some ideas on the rotation of players.....??

Jude or any other small forward wont be playing a traditional CHF role when Goodes is not playing CHF.........there is no point to that otherwise you would leave Goodes there all game

UNLESS we have an emerging CHF who needs some minutes at CHF

All I do know is Adam "running man" Goodes will get significant minutes on the ball - just like the sun will rise from the east tomorrow
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Well, I did say this was the time of the year for groundless optimism.

Having just pensioned off all those grand final heroes, the whole club just feels faster.

I'm certainly not going to cloud my judgement with facts - although I do think that average leg speed improved several points after Mickey O completed his farewell lap (at walking pace IIRC ).
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005 View Post
    Wait and see Liz.
    I think you will be suprised.
    I don't think it will be surprise as much as disappointment.

If a still skinny 18yo whose U18 coach admits he is still very raw and who up to Christmas wasn't deemed to have sufficient fitness base to join in all the main training sessions proves that he is in the best available side for most of the year then either

a) we have had significant injury issues or
    b) the second, third and fourth year players we are getting enthused about will have proven to be disappointing or
    c) we are out of finals contention early in the season, have already pensioned off some oldies and are playing kids just for the sake of getting games into them.

I am hoping none of the above happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

Jude or any other small forward wont be playing a traditional CHF role when Goodes is not playing CHF.........there is no point to that otherwise you would leave Goodes there all game
    You seem to be over complicating things for no reason.

If Goodes is forced into the midfield it's probably because we're struggling and need a game breaker on the ball.

When that happens, White or Bradshaw would play CHF. It won't be Jude.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I don't think it will be surprise as much as disappointment.

If a still skinny 18yo whose U18 coach admits he is still very raw and who up to Christmas wasn't deemed to have sufficient fitness base to join in all the main training sessions proves that he is in the best available side for most of the year then either

a) we have had significant injury issues or
    b) the second, third and fourth year players we are getting enthused about will have proven to be disappointing or
    c) we are out of finals contention early in the season, have already pensioned off some oldies and are playing kids just for the sake of getting games into them.

I am hoping none of the above happens.
    Be prepared Be very prepared
    cheers

your right Hammo

we dont need a Brownlow player playing minutes in their best position for parts of teh game

The coaching staff dont know what they are talking about when they say Jude you will be playing significant minutes in the HF line

The reason I look to review these things is I love to think about ok if that is the case what will the bench be like and hence who will get promoted into the 22 etc

There is nothing like seeing
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    The coaching staff dont know what they are talking about when they say Jude you will be playing significant minutes in the HF line
    The point that people are trying to point out to you is that the coaching staff have said HF line, you keep saying that means CHF. The coaching staff have said no such thing.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast