Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Game Plan 2010

I'm somewhat concerned that Jetta may need alot of time in the gym before he's ready for the Seniors.I fear he may be pushed around too easily as the standard he played last year is nowhere nearly as hot in the kitchen as AFL.I hope I'm wrong but I do have a feeling this bloke will be a pushover at his current size.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by smasher View Post
    ...I fear he may be pushed around too easily as the standard he played last year is nowhere nearly as hot in the kitchen as AFL....
    I thought his role was that of a high speed orbiter, probably third in the clearance chain.
    Kirk shovels it out, Bird a quick hand pass below his outstretched opponents hands into an already running Jetta's hand as he sprints off, lithely dodging tackle attempts and thumping it lace out directly into Big Jesse's waiting mits (the Eski sees this and immediately is back to his best, ahhh that's how I did it ) for a shot on goal, 40 out on a slight angle.

How many days til we see the boys take on Carltank?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Are we there yet?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

no probs lads and ladies maybe you will all be right and Jude will be a brilliant HF flanker !

time will tell
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by smasher View Post
    I'm somewhat concerned that Jetta may need alot of time in the gym before he's ready for the Seniors.I fear he may be pushed around too easily as the standard he played last year is nowhere nearly as hot in the kitchen as AFL.I hope I'm wrong but I do have a feeling this bloke will be a pushover at his current size.
    Cyrol Rioli played every game in his first year. Jetta looks even slighter than Rioli, but speed can make up for a lot and if he's got the endurance and can tackle then I honestly think he's a chance to play a majority of games.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Cyrol Rioli played every game in his first year. Jetta looks even slighter than Rioli, but speed can make up for a lot and if he's got the endurance and can tackle then I honestly think he's a chance to play a majority of games.
    Brad Dick is another example i think.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Even someone like Andrew Lovett (who I hope is a good onfield comparison of what we can hope for from Jetta) is still very skinny into his late 20s.

Stephen Hill managed to make an impact last year for Freo.

They maybe exceptions rather than the rule, but skinny players do seem to be able to survive in today's game.

And at least Jetta does have some experience at senior WAFL level. It maybe a few notches down in pace and skill to AFL but at least it is a genuine senior level competition with plenty of strong bodies. I suspect building up good enough endurance is likely to be a more significant barrier to Jetta in the short term than his build.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And at least Jetta does have some experience at senior WAFL level. It maybe a few notches down in pace and skill to AFL but at least it is a genuine senior level competition with plenty of strong bodies. I suspect building up good enough endurance is likely to be a more significant barrier to Jetta in the short term than his build.
    They have to catch him first.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Stephen Hill managed to make an impact last year for Freo.
    Josh Hill from the Doggies is another.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Robin Nahas. Jetta is slightly larger than him.

Veterans List
    What about Brownlow Medalist Gavin Wanganeen? He was as thick as a sheet of paper when he won the gong.

You're right about the level of comp these guys have come from, WAFL and SANFL are significantly up in speed and size and power from the U18 comp.

TDL and Jetta were not just playing in but were standouts at WAFL level so the step up is not as great as U18 players.

I think we'll see both of these players early in the season.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Another to come out of the Clontarf Foundation programme in the same draft as Brad Dick was Nathan Krakouer (note that Lewis Jetta - along with his cousins - was also part of the Clontarf programme, but in Bunbury).

Krakouer is roughly the same height as Jetta and was apparently about 10 kgs less than what the latter weighed at their respective draft camps.

Krakouer played some pretty handy football in his first season at Port, after Williams said he wouldn't play seniors for at least two years.

It's perhaps worth noting that his second season was ruined by soft tissue injuries. He put on some bulk (he's now about 78kg) and came back and had a really solid year in 2009.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast