Thread: A New Challenge

Veterans List

A New Challenge

We have been able to have great faith in our coaching team over the past few years. There may have been individual decisions we disagreed with but largely we've know we have one of the best coaches in the AFL, with good support. But one area where the coaches have not been tested is in selection - since about 2003 the team has largely selected itself on form/injuries and simply who was there to replace the top 22.

This year we have a whole new challenge. We have a lot of new and established players vying for a limited number of spots. Roos - and increasingly, Longmire are going to face a battle to come up with a team that matches up on the opposition and also gives us the best chance to win. It'll be interesting to see how they go.

The other challenge with this is how they manage disappointment. There will be quite a few players who can justifiably feel themselves hard done by if they don't get much game time. And Western Sydney will just be sitting, waiting, for the unhappy ones.

The new team is really exciting. But with the increased options comes increased risk. I'm hoping for Top 8 this year, setting us up for a really big next few years. But it could also come badly undone if the coaches aren't up to their new challenges.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Isn't this a challenge for every team and every club in every year? Players come and go - it's the one guaranteed constant of footy. If we are winning, winning well and pushing for Top 8 and a premiership in 2012 (according to Stewie Dew) then losing a player or two to pursue other opportunities is ok by me.

Veterans List
    You are right in what you say but this is a problem every top team has if they are not running significant injuries.

Yes it does lead to disappointment and it's one reason that very good players can be lured away by other teams offering more opportunity.

Who did we recruit this season? Seaby, Mumford, McGlynn and Kennedy. They all came for more opportunity and better contracts that go with increased opportunity.

Sydney has the best record for targetting fringe players at other strong sides, Jolly, Richards, Mattner, Shaw, nice work recruiters.

So this year if we have a good run with injuries and younger players develop as we hope then we will have players targetted ourselves. We all know that the reserves will have very deserving players running around for them. Not sure anyone on the coaching staff can completely neutralise that disappointment.

One issue that has always concerned me is the playing leadership of the Reserves. In the past 5 years, there have been senior players coming back from injury, or out of form with a personal rocket to do specific things. Posters said good things about Ben Mathews filling a leadership role for a time, and how good that was for player development and game plan improvement.

Is there anyone to do it this year? Is there any 'fringe' player who should contribute in that way this year - injuries aside?

In other threads, it has been mooted that Kirk might spend more time on the bench this year - meant as a positive, in that the next generation of mid fielders are coming through, and hopefully demanding game time.

Wouldn't he be awesome in that role.

I think we will see a few experienced players spending more time in the reserves as we have a lot of good young talent who will demand selection. In fact I expect this will be a stellar year for the reserves. As for Kirk despite his age and appearance he is a great athelete with a body that seems impervious to injury. His ability to run all day and concentrate on his opponent is his strength so I think he will play the same role as last year.

Veterans List
    The responses were all long term. My immediate question was whether we can trust Roos to be able to pick the best team when he finally has so many options?

The other question we'll see answered is whether our new "riches" are better than other teams' new players so we can look forward to finals and a tilt at the flag?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    One issue that has always concerned me is the playing leadership of the Reserves. In the past 5 years, there have been senior players coming back from injury, or out of form with a personal rocket to do specific things. Posters said good things about Ben Mathews filling a leadership role for a time, and how good that was for player development and game plan improvement.

Is there anyone to do it this year? Is there any 'fringe' player who should contribute in that way this year - injuries aside?
    That's probably one of the reasons why Playfair was retained for this year (after NOG rejected it)

On the Rookie List
    The general rule is always to keep a player in the A's who is playing well in the A's . The crucial thing for a player then is to be selected then stay there. If you continually play well you will b continue to be picked. The team can then start to settle and players get to know what the players around them are likely to do. Those missing out can just keep burning up the grass in Canberra and wait for an injury or form loss to create a gap for them. The other alternative of matching up each week works if you only rotate a few players. Too many changes unsettles a team so if you need a quick small defender,you find him from your best 22.

Early indications are that the Swans have more depth in strong candidates for a game.
    Last year there were 1 or 2 players who were a bit stiff to miss and it was more injury than form that generated a change.
    2010 brings a stronger, longer list so it will be / should be the strong form on the park that gets a place.
    The test will be whether Roos drops "established" players for the new Bloods (Pun Intended)

I'd like to comment on leadership in Reserves. They had it in spades when NicMal was head honcho, even as a kiddy. They had a beauty in Fruity. And I think they will have another in a bloke called Henry Playfair. This was the job they wanted Noggy to take on, but he wanted to keep playing seniors, not that anyone blames him. An inside nurturer who knows the game, who can give direction and lead from on the ground. I for one think Henry will be a natural. We'll see.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood