Thread: Swans Academy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Swans Academy

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/s...0307-pqmq.html

Great initiative, but 10 years before we are likely to see a result. Although will really help marketing

Bit disturbing 9YOs signing to a club
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Thats how they do it in English soccer
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Not a lot different to the way things are done down here in Melbourne with each of the TAC Cup sides having development squads from under 12's up.

Only difference being is that these kids go into the pool for all clubs to draft, but we will have access to the kids in our academy.

From mu understanding it will be along the lines of the father and son rule where we can list our intentions to draft anyone from the academy and other clubs can lodge a draft selection to determine what draft pick we would use.

Also talk on the weekend of a super eastern seaboard reserves comp that would include the VFL sides, GWS, Sydney Swans, GC17 and Lions, which would be fantastic for our listed kids development.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Also talk on the weekend of a super eastern seaboard reserves comp that would include the VFL sides, GWS, Sydney Swans, GC17 and Lions, which would be fantastic for our listed kids development.

DST
    God I hope that's true. We're wasting our reserves in the ACT comp. That comp really doesn't help us at all.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not over the moon of having under 9s included.

I wonder how the structure works out for kids that are old enough to be offered a NSW scholarship from another club but have been training as part of the Swans Academy; does it mean that Sydney would have first dibs on them and they'd be forced to sign with Sydney if the offer was made?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm not over the moon of having under 9s included.

I wonder how the structure works out for kids that are old enough to be offered a NSW scholarship from another club but have been training as part of the Swans Academy; does it mean that Sydney would have first dibs on them and they'd be forced to sign with Sydney if the offer was made?
    The scholarship scheme is about to end. Clubs can sign up new players this year but that's their last opportunity. So this, and the equivalent GWS academy will effectively replace the current scholarship scheme.