Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rules

Riewoldt is such a pretty boy and such a @@@@@@ing protected species. That swan dive he took for one of his free kicks wouldn't have been out of place in the Ice Skating at the winter olympics.

Looking at it, I think the Umpires were generally pretty awful tonight. Some very bewildering calls going both ways, but unfortunately we got the rough end of the stick on some big calls- several of which led directly to St Kilda Goals. The one that has left me @@@@ty though was their inability to give a a 50 for the cheap, high, reckless and late hit on kennelly. I know the aim was to spoil, but you can't spoil 3 seconds after the ball has been marked. It was one of the clearest 50's you'll see all season and wasn't paid.

As for the points re: our backline, I actually think for a first game of the season they generally did alright when they managed to not give silly free kicks away. Some poor passages where Saints got easy goals because of poor marking/loosing men etc, but more often than not that was because of cheap turnovers further up the ground. We have to stop the ridiculous handballing to men who are 3 feet away and being shadowed though- sometimes its better to kick the crap out of it imo.
    Last edited by mcs; 28th March 2010 at 01:36 AM.

Whilst some of our decision making was less than ideal ..i think IMO that the way we are being treated by the blatant one eyes umps is forcing us into silly handballs,,they give us no real options because wen we attempt to mark or spoil we get penalised..

As I said to ORB after the game - "Another victory to the umpires!"

I'm all for cracking down on taggers or defenders making it impossible for those who actually make the play, but one like Grundy's when the hand on/around the waist has no real impact (as soon as Riewoldt leads he breaks free anyway) is just over-officiating and actually leads to frustration as there are always going to be 100 of them each game. If you take a step back, the way our game is officiated just doesn't shape up well - Koschitzke on Malceski is play-on, but Mattner on Riewoldt is a free, and Dawson on Kennelly is just a free (when he did actually mark it prior), etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm all for cracking down on taggers or defenders making it impossible for those who actually make the play, but one like Grundy's when the hand on/around the waist has no real impact (as soon as Riewoldt leads he breaks free anyway) is just over-officiating and actually leads to frustration as there are always going to be 100 of them each game. If you take a step back, the way our game is officiated just doesn't shape up well - Koschitzke on Malceski is play-on, but Mattner on Riewoldt is a free, and Dawson on Kennelly is just a free (when he did actually mark it prior), etc etc.
    Not according to the umpires, see this thread Umpires are stupid

Scenario 2. Kenelly attempts to mark, is flattened. Swans players ask for 50m penalty. Umpire refuses with the comment "He didn't mark it". Again commentators go off about "How was he supposed to mark that when he was flattened."
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Inconsistency is the most annoying part.

The umpires appear to have a different mindset on FF/FB contests depending on the players involved. When Riewoldt/Koschitzke and Lloyd before them are/were competing for the ball, all focus is on the FB, picking up the slightest hold/grab/push.

When Hall/Fevola/Mooney are competing, all the focus is on whether they are the ones infringing and infringements against them are overlooked.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Triple B, well put. Because the game is so fast the umpires often don't have time to think clearly and their prejudices and beliefs show, not only in their decisions but in their comments too. One of the advantages of losing Hall was the numbers of frees against him (deserved and otherwise) - our other forwards now might get to kick the ball won in a fair contest.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Riewoldt is such a pretty boy and such a @@@@@@ing protected species. That swan dive he took for one of his free kicks wouldn't have been out of place in the Ice Skating at the winter olympics.
    Not sure if I imaged it or not, but wasn't there talk in the offseason about a rule outlawing playing for frees?
    If I wasn't imaging this and such a rule does exist, why then was Reiwoldt given a free every time he threw his arms in the air?

Yeah they were supposedly meant to be coming down on anyone playing for a free. That obviously doesn't include Riewoldt.

I thought Goodes was meant to be a protected species?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Not sure if I imaged it or not, but wasn't there talk in the offseason about a rule outlawing playing for frees?
    If I wasn't imaging this and such a rule does exist, why then was Reiwoldt given a free every time he threw his arms in the air?
    Such a rule was brought in, but is only to report players post-match to front the tribunal. The umpire on the ground in the heat of the moment is not expect to spot the fraud everytime. Players will be reported and sent to the tribunal to explain their actions if accused of acting.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    Such a rule was brought in, but is only to report players post-match to front the tribunal. The umpire on the ground in the heat of the moment is not expect to spot the fraud everytime. Players will be reported and sent to the tribunal to explain their actions if accused of acting.
    Ok, thanks for the explaination. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Ok, thanks for the explaination. That makes sense.
    So in reality the rule is pointless as it gives them the opportunity to let the pretty boys and protected species off the hook rather easily then doesn't it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast