Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac Uni U18 Forfeit

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    If it is working up on the coast thats great, but I could see opposition to it here. Generally, the Northside/Sydney Harbour clubs play Sunday (Changed from Saturday a few years ago) mainly to accomodate the private school kids who were tied up with Saturday sport with their schools. Western Sydney still goes traditional with Saturday Football depite pressure from the league in the past to change. The main problems I see is having to set up a ground on Friday for one match and getting to games in the Sydney traffic on Friday night can be somewhat of a nightmare. It also alienates the 16's from the rest of the club. I have noticed that many from the junior sides stick around to watch the 16's play after they have finished their games. A couple of night games would be a novelty and the kids do like it from my past involvement, but week to week is another question. A few of our kids play gridiron on Friday night and they were smart in doing that, but are we that obscure sport that we need to "give up" and hand the premium days to socer and league? I would personally like to see the 16's align more with there senior clubs and play games where possible before the 18's match so they can see that the step up to 18's/seniors isn't a big jump
    Try selling it to the junior league. Its the smartest idea I've heard on here, one I've been a big advocate for recently. Also, gets away from the bulls@@t junior politics that have almost killed our junior clubs. Parents with agendas equal nothing but trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Numbers have increased slowly out in the Penrith region.
    In 2005 the local comp had a three team 16's comp playing 10 aside. Was a bit embarrassing for the kids as when the 14's finished, we would move the boundries back in to Under 12's regulations. I was involved with Emu Plains and the coach probably holds an unbeatable record. How many teams have gone through a season without a win and made the prelim final. Well, we did that year. Bit boring playing Penrith 9 times in the season though.
    The following year proved better with Hawkesbury, St Clair, Mountain Lions (Blue Mountains and Emu Plains merge) played in the Wollongong comp with two Illawarra teams and the Razorbacks making up a 6 team comp, but at least it was gfair dinkum 18 aside footy.
    We now have Hawkesbury and Quakers Hill (Though not in our Seniors pathway) both fielding 16's, along with Blue Mountains, Emu Plains, Penrith, St Clair, Campbelltown, South Campbelltown and Razorbacks making up the local comp and it's 18 aside too ! I know that Penrith have a squad of about 26 and Emu have about 27 so the numbers are reasonable. Real pity that Holsworthy couldn't get a team up this year to make it a 10 team comp.

Many people tell me that if an 18's player is capable of playing seniors, then he should test himself and do just that. It's not a theory I fully subscribe to. Sure it might help in the deveopment of his own game but I feel clubs should urge them to play 18's while they can. It helps the 18's comp. Weakening your 18's by elevating the best to seniors can mean poor results (talking here about the clubs that struggle with 18's) which means kids will drop out of the game quickly if they are getting flogged each week. if your 18's go down the drain, your club is in serious trouble
    Big problem is that if you hold up a talented younster they are likely to walk making your club weaker anyway. There needs to be a balance and if they can play senior footy for a number of games it will often keep them happy.
    What should happen in my mind is that clubs should pick their best team for seniors every week and if that includes some U18s then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Try selling it to the junior league. Its the smartest idea I've heard on here, one I've been a big advocate for recently. Also, gets away from the bulls@@t junior politics that have almost killed our junior clubs. Parents with agendas equal nothing but trouble.
    Parents and committee people with agendas that are not aligned with the clubs best interest are both trouble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12