Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Previous Victory over North?

As has been mentioned several times in this thread, I was at that game at optus oval/princess park in 1996 to see us destroy the roos. Went there with a couple of kangas friends at the time, one of them had cousins who worked security that day and we watched the game in the (then) John Elliott room, drinking free alcohol all game.

The one thing that sticks in my mind from that game, was my kangaroo supporting friend continuously say to me..."dont think you've got this game won John, the roos will come back!!!" as the swans just kept piling on the goals. Very funny.

I was looking at my works footy tipping website, I went into the 'games history between the 2 teams section', and I must admit I was very very shocked to discover that this was the last time we beat the Kangaroos in Melbourne. All the way back in 1996. We must rectify this on Saturday. I will do my best shouting words of encouragement to the boys on the bench as my friend has got himself, his dad and me tickets on level 1 right next to the interchange bench....I'm hoping we're next to the swans interchange and not North's, otherwise it might be abuse I will be yelling at the North boys.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    As has been mentioned several times in this thread, I was at that game at optus oval/princess park in 1996 to see us destroy the roos. Went there with a couple of kangas friends at the time, one of them had cousins who worked security that day and we watched the game in the (then) John Elliott room, drinking free alcohol all game.

The one thing that sticks in my mind from that game, was my kangaroo supporting friend continuously say to me..."dont think you've got this game won John, the roos will come back!!!" as the swans just kept piling on the goals. Very funny.

I was looking at my works footy tipping website, I went into the 'games history between the 2 teams section', and I must admit I was very very shocked to discover that this was the last time we beat the Kangaroos in Melbourne. All the way back in 1996. We must rectify this on Saturday. I will do my best shouting words of encouragement to the boys on the bench as my friend has got himself, his dad and me tickets on level 1 right next to the interchange bench....I'm hoping we're next to the swans interchange and not North's, otherwise it might be abuse I will be yelling at the North boys.
    Wouldn't have played them here much though. They played a number of 'home' games against us in Sydney and Canberra. I can remember losing narrowly to them at the MCG in '98 and then once in '07 at Etihad. Only other game I can remember was the draw in '08.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    How @@@@ing good was Kirk in that 2nd half? EPIC performance from him.
    Yeah, sensational. Kirk, Hall and O'Keefe the major matchwinners from memory.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Regular in the Side
    That 1996 H and A win was in fact the very last time the Swans beat North Melbourne in Victoria. I know the Kangaroos have wandered around the country (notable at the SCG and Manuka) for the past 14 years. Nevertheless, the Swans have not won any of last 4 games held in Melbourne against North, dating back to the 1996 Grand Final.

1996 GF Lost by 43
    1998 R8 Lost by 10
    2007 R6 Lost by 16
    2008 R6 Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Easily my fave is H&A at Princes Park in 1996.

Roos' 300th, Maxfield's 100th and an 80+ point thrashing.

Plugger had 1 goal to halftime, finished with 10

Dunkley slaughtered Carey

Stafford destroyed McKernan, who at the time was #1 ruckman in the land.

Of course, 3 months later was easily my least fave Swans/Norf game
    YEP! First video of a game I ever bought. First time I had ever seen Plugger smile with the one two with Shagger in the 4th quarter, and Carey with his superman cape shirt after Dunks had destroyed him/it.

then again the game known in my family as "After The Hail" R4 1999, when Kell pinballed a goal and Stuey did a very rare grandstand muscleman after his goal in the dying minutes (he had just lost half the roof of his house). I love that game.

I am editing this in as someone reminded me. Pure magic, Robbie Ahmat's running goal, with Stuey windmilling his arm to keep going. Wish to know exactly which game this is as I have lost it in amongst my stuff. I think it was a Roos home game at the SCG as I had my one and only seat in the Churchill and could see Robbie heading towards me; it was great stuff.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by TheHood View Post
    There have been some rippas over the years.

Paul Kelly ripped them apart in 1999 and again in 2002.

Then there was a magnificent quarter in 2005.

A satisfying first final in 2008.

My personal favourtie was the 1999 game when the champ brought us back from the dead in 99 with THAT goal and just a one man display of determination and power for Dennis Pagan to declare; "the difference out there tonight was Paul Kelly."

What is your fav?
    Worth a bump.

I know the 1999 game featuring 'that goal' from Kelly is mentioned numerous times during this thread.

For those who have never seen it or would like to see it again, a full replay is on 7TWO at 01:30am on Sunday morning.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Thanks DA... Hadn't seen that clip before. Brings back great memories. That game is certainly in my top 5 of SCG games.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I am privileged to say that I was at both the '96 Princes Park game against the Kangas and the '99 SCG epic.

Plugger kicked a lazy 10 in '96 but my enduring recollection of that game remains how good Paul Roos was. It was his 300th and people were beginning to administer the last rites but he took running defence to a level I had never seen before. I hadn't realised what a complete gun he was until that day.

The atmosphere at the '99 game was the most electric I've ever experienced, '05 Grand Final included (you don't feel a lot of electricity when your heart is floating around somewhere in your bowels). A very young, skinny, undersized kid called Goodes had to step into the first ruck against the then all-conquering McKernan because Stafford went down injured early . Bloods close to 8 goals down at half time. Important goals to the racehorse Johnny Stevens and a struggling player called Leo Barry. The goals from Kelly and Maxfield in the last quarter sent the joint absolutely beserk. It took me three days to come down.

Also a great (and unexpected) win against the Kangas at the MCG in '95. We were on the rise but still strugglers that year and this was a monster upset. Dunkley B.O.G gave Carey a total flogging and never looked back.

Someone mentioned '77. I went to most games that year as an eternally optimistic primary school kid but that weekend decided to go to a sleepover at a friend's house, so my dad went with my sister instead. He still talks about that game as one of the highlights of his footy-going career (and he's 75). If he's to be believed (which he is) it was one of the most exhilirating last quarters the Swannies have been involved in.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Someone mentioned '77. I went to most games that year as an eternally optimistic primary school kid but that weekend decided to go to a sleepover at a friend's house, so my dad went with my sister instead. He still talks about that game as one of the highlights of his footy-going career (and he's 75). If he's to be believed (which he is) it was one of the most exhilirating last quarters the Swannies have been involved in.
    That game at Arden st in 77 was awesome. Rnd 22. We had to beat North, and Doggies had to beat Carlton for us to make the finals for only the 2nd time since the 1945 Grand final. (Think Richmond's recent history to understand what a finals appearance meant to us South supporters back in those days.)

At 3q time we were something like 4 goals down , and reports came through that the Doggies had Carlton's measure. The entire last quarter was like a procession of goals. Teasedale was on fire in the ruck, David Young killed them in the centre and we not only pegged back the 4 goal deficit we won going further away. It was a huge win against the team that would be the eventual premiers, on their home ground.

Now here's where my story has a twist. I had to leave the game just before the final siren sounded, hearing it and the crowd roar when I was walking away from the ground. Why did I do that? The girl who I was with and who at the time I thought we could have a bit of a future with lived in the country out Western Victoria way, and had to get to Spencer St station to catch a train home. As we rushed to get to North Station the only thing I could think about was had the Doggies won. I didn't know. I was frantic. I got to North Melbourne Station, and about 50 metres away I could see a person in front of me with a radio in his hand. I rushed up to him and asked "did Footscray win?" When he answered yes, I remember punching my fist in the air embracing him doing a dance up and down North station, and shouting as loud as I could "you little ripper. South are in the finals!!!!!"

I turned around to see my "girlfriend" 50 mtrs away looking most unimpressed with my actions. I think she thought that seeing as she was about to board a train and go home and we wouldn't see each other for a while I should pay her more attention. WRONG. Football is life darling, and South making the finals is bigger than life itself. We didn't see much of each other after that, but I got to see South Melbourne play in a final, and in those days, it was as good as a premiership.

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    My favorite win over North was back in '96 when we belted them at Princes Park, was Roosy's 300th game from memory. Of course North had the last laugh that year.
    This was a brilliant win, I believe Dunks towelled up Carey that day too, wasn't that the match when he had his shirt ripped off?
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Worth a bump.

I know the 1999 game featuring 'that goal' from Kelly is mentioned numerous times during this thread.

For those who have never seen it or would like to see it again, a full replay is on 7TWO at 01:30am on Sunday morning.
    Massiv e WhooHoo. crank out the HD recorder for that one. THANKS for the tip guys.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast