Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constructive criticism, the Dockers, Sydney AFL and getting on with the game

Constructive criticism, the Dockers, Sydney AFL and getting on with the game

I don't often post on here but I feel compelled to after some of the rubbish I am reading on here.

I am all for constructive criticism and using this forum to establish constructive ways to boost the running and profile of Sydney AFL.

What I believe is wrong is the constant bagging of clubs - particularly when the facts are not known.

Like it or not, we are all part of one community - Sydney AFL. Being critical when warranted is fine, but it appears that whether it's Balmain's on-field performance, Southern Power Under 18s forfeiting, the cost of pies at Campbelltown, the double booking of Mac Uni's ovals, the signing of Sydney Uni U18s or the jealousy of East Coast Eagles' success, most comments are simply critical, often non-factual and do absolutely nothing for Sydney AFL growing in stature.

Imagine being a young bloke from Victoria and you're thinking about moving to Sydney to play or become an umpire. You decide to do some research and you get on Redandwhiteonline.com and read some of the negative posts on here.

There's a common saying I use in my industry and I think it should be used on here. I am often asked my opinion on political policy and my response is often, "leave the politics to the politicians".

So, let's leave administration to the administrators, club management to club managers and most importantly, playing to the players.

Let's get on with playing good footy and leave all the grudges, sledging and whatever else you need to do to get your ego fix on the field - not save it for this forum.

Sure, it's cool to be proud for who you play for. I know I was proud playing for Balmain last year. While we didn't have that many successes on the field, the off-field environment was awesome as was the administration of the club.

My point is, be proud of Sydney AFL and the opportunity we have to promote the game in a positive way.

Good luck to all teams in all grades for this season.

Warming the Bench
    Yes it would be nice to aim for what you have suggested. A few points -
    * I would imagine that most here have club allegiances. That means liking/disliking other clubs to varying extents. That will show through.
    * Sydney football has had elitist elements for a long time. The better off clubs, and many involved with them, have often looked down on the weaker, or badly performing clubs and this has clearly reflected in their attitudes and behaviour. This has extended to elements of the administration and umpiring fraternity as well. Such attitudes will show through here.
    * It is an internet forum. People can be anonymous and will be more open with their true feelings towards other clubs and issues with the game. Forums like this don't always easily lend themselves towards objectivity. Have a look at a place like BigFooty for a classic example of what I mean.
    * People forget the "there with the grace of God go I" principle. It's easy to have a laugh at a club like Balmain, or be all-knowing with solutions to their situation, while their own club is doing okay. They also forget that it is far easier to be offering suggestions from the outside without being in the middle of the situation and knowing all the facts.

Divisionalization, despite the objections of some, thankfully has made Sydney football far more competitive. So the traditionally weaker clubs have a chance to grow and build in a much fairer environment. Hopefully the entrenched attitudes towards those clubs will change.

Clearly you are still going to get clubs which periodically struggle though and currently Balmain is one of those. Personal rivalries will probably mean that many want to have a bit of a dig at them but I'd hate to think that it is anything but good natured.

[QUOTE=mountainsofpain;483615]

[U]Divisionalization, despite the objections of some, thankfully has made Sydney football far more competitive. So the traditionally weaker clubs have a chance to grow and build in a much fairer environment. Hopefully the entrenched attitudes towards those clubs will change.

QUOTE]

Of the 9 games in which Premier League Clubs played NON prem Clubs across all Grades .....
    Prem League Clubs 1 win
    NON prem league Clubs 8 wins

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    And to you, that means?
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

BeeEmmAre, I would have thought it obvious, Patchy thinks it means that because some clubs first grade teams can beat other clubs reserve or third grade teams they are better or something. Means SFA to me.

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    BeeEmmAre, I would have thought it obvious, Patchy thinks it means that because some clubs first grade teams can beat other clubs reserve or third grade teams they are better or something. Means SFA to me.
    Moorebank's seniors thrashed SU's fourth grade side - and good luck to them because the opportunity for development works both ways the way the divisions are structured. Our lads in the lower grades will only get better for playing against a higher quality of footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    Do I read this as: "means SFA were better than people gave credit for to me"

Well said Student and constructive. It is great to see Moorebank doing well - top facilities, passionate club management, located in a tough area to grow the game.

Quote Originally Posted by hawknik View Post
    well said student and constructive. It is great to see moorebank doing well - top facilities, passionate club management, located in a tough area to grow the game.
    so tough they eat quiche in front of truckies.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    And were you one of those who thought the old SFA clubs wouldn't be competitive against the Premier League reserves teams before Divisionalisation came in?
    It's amazing how quick the opinions changed when UTS and Manly started handing out a few floggings in the new Div 1. Mac Uni have now continued the trend it seems.
    By the way, very good answer Hawknik!
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Bit of gloating going on fellas. The reality is that people want to play in the 1st grade of the club they play for and if it is their local club and with their mates even better. The restructure into one Sydney league is obviously beneficialt to footy in Sydney however for a Club to want to have all its teams playing on the one day is only logical. Promotion and relegation into Premier may be logical however I wonder whether it being on one years performance is suitable. Possibly a body of performance over 3 years with corresponding poor performance from a Premier League club would be appropriate. We have all seen clubs get a group together for one year only to go down the tubes a year later.

By the way Hawknik it was a clever answer just not correct.

Beameup,

The post was in reference to a comment on Divisionalizing and supporting that comment. Not having a crack at PL clubs .
    The reality is though..that under current structure the NON PL clubs are generally having success. Which is a good thing..So it seems there is still some adjustment needed to the Divisions which time will fix i guess. Perhaps 2 up 2 down in lower grades would help too.
    But until that happens ,there will probably continue to be an imbalance of results between PL lower grades teams and Non PL clubs....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast