Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kennelly

I have always thought for years Kennelly was and is the worst defender for Sydney, if not the whole AFL. Don't rate him as a defender, or a person.

Why he seems to be protected year in year out I'll never understand. Yes he can kick, great, well done, he's had 10 years of practice. But's thats about it.

He wasn't raised with the game, so he's awareness/tackling/1%-ers are terrible. Definately NOT up to AFL standards. Seriously, if I were a forward playing Sydney and Kennelly came to mark me I'd be jumping with joy knowing he's as soft as child, can't hold on to a tackle, has got no intensity about him, and he's coach won't drag him no matter what. If Sydney get on top then yes I'll have to chase him but if our team get's on top, I'm basically a free man. The lad is not accountable in defence when the opposition has the ball. I mean, it's obvious.

And the best part is he's always the first to talk to the media about the 'teams' poor performances like he's god's gift to AFL and sport in general.

I always understood why most people liked him, because he attacked from the half back line and is a likeable character. That's all well and good when your part of a really good team whose consistantly winning, and the pressure is all on the other team. But fast forward a few years and when the shoe's on the other foot and it's time to defend under pressure he is by far the worst 'defender' in the game.
    And let me say that if you play in the backline you are a defender first, then an attacker. After 10 years playing I'm sure all those pro-kennelly's out there can remember his darting runs up the field but can you remember the last time he made a half decent smashing tackle? No. All he can do is put on an angry face and slap with one hand like a girl.
    Not he's own fault as he wasn't raised with those bread and butter skills, but shouldn't be automatically picked because he has an '05 medal.

And now for something that will prob upset a few out there.
    I'm sick to the teeth of him bringing up his late father & his early homesickness in every interview. Yes it was a tough time, but it's now been years since. He's a grown man, it's time to grow a pair & stop looking for sympathy all the time and get on with it. He's not the only one who's migrated here and lost a parent.
    He earns a fortune, had he's year's break and walzed straight back in to the starting line up out of experience only, bout time he did something. But wait, he can't, because he's a defender who can not defend properly!!

If Kennelly's deserves his regular spot on talent, then LRT is an all-Aulstralian.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    No, that was Kirk.
    Yesterday it was both, unfortunately.
    But I'm not happy with Tadhg atm. We picked him for his run, carry and deliver, and he's not doing any of those well. Perhaps time in the twos to get his touch back? But he is slower than he used to be. And like one of our other 'runners' Malceski, he never was an outstanding defender. We are really missing B2, both for his own defence and for his generalship.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
    I have always thought for years Kennelly was and is the worst defender for Sydney, if not the whole AFL. Don't rate him as a defender, or a person.
    Yep a totally rubbish defender. Just doesn't have the ability to spoil or position his body correctly which is probably a result of not knowing the game. What's worst is that he isn't even providing attack from the HB line like he used to.

I can't comment on him as a person, though his book sounded like he was a knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Can go back to Ireland.

He adds stuff all and is taking up the spot of a kid.
    Boooooooooooooooooo!!!
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Silver member, not Gold pinkemu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

I can't comment on him as a person, though his book sounded like he was a knob.
    Sounds like a critic's review of this thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12