View Poll Results: Where should we play a home final if we earn one?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANZ

6 5.77%
  • SCG

91 87.50%
  • Blacktown

2 1.92%
  • ROK's backyard

5 4.81%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: If we get a home final, where should it be played?

Regular in the Side
    SCG. It's a no-brainer. 1996 prelim against Essendon anyone? 2005 Geelong match? But most importantly of all, it's to our advantage and what would we want more than a better chance at winning?
    Last edited by Margie; 8th August 2010 at 12:54 AM.

SCG, better atmosphere, better beer, better location for going out after, and a better chance that we will win
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

On the Rookie List
    I always want swans games to be played at SCG not ANZ but god I hope the ticketing is organized well this year. I am fed up of lining up for hours for finals tickets at ticketing outlets with crap computer systems. We are members FFS and it is 2010 we should be able to get tickets without lining up
    There is no spoon

Quote Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
    SCG, better atmosphere, better beer, better location for going out after, and a better chance that we will win
    It has been a while since I have been to any games so I may stand corrected but the SCG was serving Tooheys New and ANZ Carlton Draught.. The Carlton Draught was a truck load better.. That was the only thing I liked more about going to ANZ..

Quote Originally Posted by premiers05 View Post
    I always want swans games to be played at SCG not ANZ but god I hope the ticketing is organized well this year. I am fed up of lining up for hours for finals tickets at ticketing outlets with crap computer systems. We are members FFS and it is 2010 we should be able to get tickets without lining up
    It's not the lining up that bugs me, it's the fact that we don't get the choice of seats.

On the Rookie List
    aaahhh, dont mean to put a blight on things, but we aint cemented in the 8 yet, a little premature to be talking about home finals, whether SCG or ANZ, ticketing arrangements etc. In all likely hood we will prob have to go to subi for an elimination in week 1 of finals against freo , especially since dogs beat crows, which has all but sewn up the top 4.

Msb, the title does say "If".

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuri H View Post
    I passed on my usual ROK option to give some SCG love. ANZ, bleah. As backyards go, ROK can come to mine.
    ROK votes for the SCG - though it is not evident he knows his backyard is an option.

Swans crave comfort of home | Herald Sun

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    aaahhh, dont mean to put a blight on things, but we aint cemented in the 8 yet, a little premature to be talking about home finals, whether SCG or ANZ, ticketing arrangements etc. In all likely hood we will prob have to go to subi for an elimination in week 1 of finals against freo , especially since dogs beat crows, which has all but sewn up the top 4.
    Not at all. A home final is a possibility and given that this is a topic of concern even to the players, I see no reason for not discussing it, prefixing the question with "If we earn .."
    Last edited by cruiser; 9th August 2010 at 07:50 AM.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Regular in the Side
    Three years ago, this would have been a no-brainer-Homebush by a mile. In season 2007 the Swans played 3 Home and Away games there, with all three games having crowds in excess of 62,000. And two of the games were great contests, (witness the Eagles and the Saints matches). Further, the Swans finals records at the two Sydney venues was pretty much split even, with just one loss at each venue recorded, both against eventual premiers, (SCG: Adelaide 1998, Homebush: Brisbane 2003). Further, the Finals games at Stadium Australia, particularly against Brisbane and Fremantle in 2006, had a great atmosphere.

However, things went pear shaped for Stadium Australia in 2008. Contractually they had to play four games. Except for the Collingwood game, none of the home-and-away games got more than 45,000.

And then we had the North Melbourne Finals game where an embarrassing 'crowd' of just 19,000 showed up. Since that game, not one of the Swans' 6 further games at the Olympic Stadium have seen crowds in excess of 44,000.

Indeed the crowds attending the last 8 games at Homebush, could all have fitted into the present 47,000 capacity SCG, (with a much much better atmosphere). And that is the key point here. Unless the crowd is in excess of 55,000, there is no atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium. Isn't better for us to squeeze into a 47,000 SCG, than to have a 47,000 vast Stadium Australia, with lots of empty seats and limited atmosphere?

There is of course another issue raised by Ryan O'Keefe. The players feel they play better at the SCG. That may be a perception factor, rather than reality. But hey, we get the right to host a final, surely we get the right to chose the venue?
    Last edited by top40; 9th August 2010 at 11:38 AM.

From the ROK article
    ==
    "We know where we want to play, we want to play the SCG," he said.
    "The SCG is a big advantage for us, we play the ground really well.
    "The atmosphere is heaps better, the SCG is our home ground. We don't classify ANZ as a home game.
    "I think if you had 60,000 at ANZ and 40,000 at the SCG I think the 40,000 would be better atmosphere. I reckon the ground is the perfect build for AFL."
    ==
    Quite damning on ANZ really
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Msb, the title does say "If".
    Aware of that, just wanna keep a lid on things, the way the team has gone up and down this year, we could lose the final 3 games and miss the 8, who knows? IF we beat freo then we could perhaps have a thread like this, even entertaining the idea of a home final at this stage is a little ridiculous IMO. Last week people were calling for roosy's head FFS, where are they now? Now we are talking home finals??? Funny what a win can do I suppose.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast