Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos gone so break rule 1

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by supersall View Post
    Can't help but think.......Jesse and Bevan were missed tonight, Jesses' big body and his work off the ground brings the smalls in, instead we were relying on the marking forwards. Pity we can't field 24.
    The way I see it too. I suspect there may be some rethinking the role Jesse plays.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I certainly wasn't saying he's a hack. I think he's been a great player and has been good to have in the team. But in finals you have to play out the game and too many of our players couldn't. So we lost. There will be a lot of kids that are discovering the heartache of a finals loss tonight so I'm just suggesting that we need to move forward, as baz' mate would say.

Those suggesting he'll be right for the break - he's had his break. He's not like Magic who can be nursed to semi-health. We saw him play as well tonight as he'll ever play.

I also had the thought that Jude should think about retiring, too. I love him as a player and admire his intensity tonight. But those head hits may not be serving him well by the time he's 60.
    Sorry mate, can't agree. Probably because I'm an old hack hanging onlike bradshaw

Give him another year, play him first up, injury free and the Swans WILL go fiurther than this year. He breaks down, so what. Bring womeone else in. Fantastic I say
    If u don't believe me, I will knock your bloody teeth out and not pay you a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I am ambivalent about him playing on next year. His knee is degenerative and doesn't matter what they do to it, it ain't going to get better.

More to the point, I think our forward line goes alright without him. The more I think about it, the more it seems that the removal of White and Bevo totally threw everything out of whack.

More the more I think about it, bit of a miracle we go this far and I'm feeling ok.
    That was said (quite rightly) about MOL's knee, and he had an amazing renaissance in his final 2 seasons. We're not in any position to make expert medical calls; we can only judge on what we see on the park. Any FF who's able to break away from a class opponent like Lake enough to take 9 marks, is moving alright. It would be an exceedingly long bow to draw to claim that his poor hitting of his drop punts, was anything to do with his knee.

White was ok last week but like Bradshaw he will never be, not in any ones wildest dreams.........
    Last edited by aardvark; 12th September 2010 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The way I see it too. I suspect there may be some rethinking the role Jesse plays.
    Totally agree with this. White should have played and ROK OUT!!!!. @@@@ing selfish! Smith to play ROK's role, Moore out and Bevan to take Johnson. Would have made Johnno accountable. But all hindsight. Not really I always felt this

Wrong quote but Jesse should have played as well. IN THE FORWARD LINE
    Last edited by Tooth Fairy; 12th September 2010 at 12:22 AM.
    If u don't believe me, I will knock your bloody teeth out and not pay you a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    White was ok last week but Bradshaw he will never be, not in any ones wildest dreams.........
    Yeah mate he was @@@@ tonight
    Last edited by Tooth Fairy; 12th September 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: oh I forgot to add rolll eyes

I certainly wasn't saying he's a hack. I think he's been a great player and has been good to have in the team. But in finals you have to play out the game and too many of our players couldn't. So we lost. There will be a lot of kids that are discovering the heartache of a finals loss tonight so I'm just suggesting that we need to move forward, as baz' mate would say.

Those suggesting he'll be right for the break - he's had his break. He's not like Magic who can be nursed to semi-health. We saw him play as well tonight as he'll ever play.
    With enormous respect and due deference to the fact that emotions are high straight after a narrow loss to end the year, that's just absolute rubbish. What player ever plays at their absolute best, in their first game back in senior footy for 15 weeks? If he had kicked the 6 he should have kicked if he was hitting his kicks properly, you would still be suggesting he retire? And on what possible basis would you conclude that he will never kick reliably for goal again?

Yeah, I can imagine the conversation that Horse had with him before the game: "Look Braddy, you've tried hard and done pretty well when you've been out there this year, and you've been out of senior footy well over 3 months. But the selection committee has deemed that however you play tonight will be the peak of the rest of your career; so if you don't dominate, that's career over".

sorry but this thread is horrible.

he played a fantastic game until he had to think about kicking a goal. he is going to be an invaluable part of our forward line development for the next couple of years.
    Last edited by Peace; 12th September 2010 at 12:27 AM.

I wasn't at the game but the MMM coverage said after the end that Braddy looked like a horse with broken leg.
    Was that MMM with Lyon and Brayshaw etc, or the Sydney MMM team? He probably went better than I expected him to go - and I wouldn't have used that analogy (or something similar) to describe Bradshaw - but to be honest it is all a bit of a blur at the moment.

Recriminations after a game are always a bit loaded with emotion, so we probably shouldn't even be having these discussions at the moment. However, if I was creating a list of things that I wanted certain individuals to focus on over the summer it would mostly be about defensive work.

We have been rebounding well all year from half-back, but overhead, or during heavy body pressure, we have been quite poor. If you were evaluating the seasons of Grundy and Malcheski you would give both a big tick (particularly, in Grundy's case, with the absence of Bolton and LRT), but they still have their limitations at the moment. If as a team we were trying to emulate the efforts of the best team of the last four years in Geelong (which we should be) then both these players need to improve.

Too often this year Eski has not gone hard enough at the contest as I saw it unfold (he pulled out, or waited back, not put his head over the ball in critical situations, or not been prepared to take the hit in order to achieve the best outcome for the team). That is harsh criticism, particularly for someone up for AA selection, and also because what he does do in terms of run and carry has been outstanding. But his weaknesses, make us a weaker team, and if we want to be a great team he needs to improve.

Grundy has been out-bodied too easily on more than the odd occasion (and I am not at all referring to his dropped marks tonight - he had a shocker, but I have moved on). He has improved this year, no doubt, but he will need to again if we are going to improve as a team. He just does not kill as many contests as he should for a key defender. He is athletic, but does not seem to use his athleticism to his advantage in one-on-one situations (he also needs to be a bit meaner / determined - maybe that is just his style). I want he and LRT to spend some more time in the gym over the summer.

I would also like McVeigh to be given a tape of his numerous missed tackles and half-arsed attempts at chasing - he should be embarrassed by them. But again he is a good footballer who wins his own ball, is highly skilled, and works well at filling space defensively etc, when we don't have the ball. But if we want to improve, that is where his focus should be.

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Bradshaw presented well and gave more options up front than Jesse, yes he had one noticeable stuff up but still looked and did more than Jesse has shown in the past few games.
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    That was said (quite rightly) about MOL's knee, and he had an amazing renaissance in his final 2 seasons. We're not in any position to make expert medical calls; we can only judge on what we see on the park. Any FF who's able to break away from a class opponent like Lake enough to take 9 marks, is moving alright. It would be an exceedingly long bow to draw to claim that his poor hitting of his drop punts, was anything to do with his knee.
    He would have taken more marks if they went more direct in the second half. Kevin Bartlett said he started to miss because he was bending his knee when kicking, a sure sign of a dodgy knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Bradshaw presented well and gave more options up front than Jesse, yes he had one noticeable stuff up but still looked and did more than Jesse has shown in the past few games.
    i agree his hands were very very good in contested mark situations. his kicking was disappointing but idont think jesse would have taken those marks.

and eski goes to ground very easily or perhaps too often

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast